Picture Sheffield Calendar

vox

My cousin mailed me today. He doesn't live in Sheffield so tried to buy some on line.

Here's the relevant extract from his mail.

"----- When I visited the site, I saw that currently, their title page is advertising a Picture Sheffield 2015 calendar. I'd like to get some of these but there is no option on site to buy more than one without going through the purchase rigmarole for each one separately. They're £5 each plus £2.60 postage. I want to get 5 so I called the council and was kept waiting for ages whilst they investigated and it turns out there really is no way you can order multiple ones on line and you have to pay £2.60 postage for each one! So that would be £13 postage - ridiculous! -----"

They don't do themselves any favours do they.

I'm going down there to buy them for him.

My cousin mailed me today. He doesn't live in Sheffield so tried to buy some on line.

Here's the relevant extract from his mail.

"----- When I visited the site, I saw that currently, their title page is advertising a Picture Sheffield 2015 calendar. I'd like to get some of these but there is no option on site to buy more than one without going through the purchase rigmarole for each one separately. They're £5 each plus £2.60 postage. I want to get 5 so I called the council and was kept waiting for ages whilst they investigated and it turns out there really is no way you can order multiple ones on line and you have to pay £2.60 postage for each one! So that would be £13 postage - ridiculous! -----"

They don't do themselves any favours do they.

I'm going down there to buy them for him.

Ridiculous, - but it is Sheffield Council so you sort of expect a load of rubbish service from them.

Having mentioned calendars, - we haven't had a SheffieldHistory calendar for a year or two now, - probably because of the images issue on the site, or because of the lack of new images available to us as fewer seem to be posted these days (and those that do quickly get "stolen" and reposted elsewhere without even being asked or credited) or because producing it is a bit of a thankless task as I am sure SteveHB, who did most of the work on it, would agree.

Ridiculous, - but it is Sheffield Council so you sort of expect a load of rubbish service from them.

Having mentioned calendars, - we haven't had a SheffieldHistory calendar for a year or two now, - probably because of the images issue on the site, or because of the lack of new images available to us as fewer seem to be posted these days (and those that do quickly get "stolen" and reposted elsewhere without even being asked or credited) or because producing it is a bit of a thankless task as I am sure SteveHB, who did most of the work on it, would agree.

The main reason that I did not create a SH calendar at the end of last year, was due to problems experienced on some of the free file share sites, I did not wish any of our members to be infected by adware or malware, most of the free sites seem to promote this sort of stuff to the initial download of files.

Think I can get around the above problem, so there will be a 2015 SH Calendar this year, all you will need is a decent A4 printer.

The main reason that I did not create a SH calendar at the end of last year, was due to problems experienced on some of the free file share sites, I did not wish any of our members to be infected by adware or malware, most of the free sites seem to promote this sort of stuff to the initial download of files.

Think I can get around the above problem, so there will be a 2015 SH Calendar this year, all you will need is a decent A4 printer.

Yes I remember now, the calendar file was too big to put directly on SheffieldHistory so we had to go through a file share site, which you had to log into and provide an email address (even though it was a direct file download and not an email attachment) which was a bit of a hassle as well as the risk of hidden nasties being added to the file.

Glad there is going to be a calendar this year, I usually print one off and have it up at work above my staffroom work desk. Now I am retired I will put one up in my computer room where I still do a bit of computer based work.

Well they're what he asked me to get, so I did.

I had a look and I must say they're not up to much.

One was for someone in Sheffield and I posted the other 4 to him in Peterborough.

The total postage for 4, including the price of a large padded envelope, was about £2.50 if I remember rightly.