Porter Cottage

Bayleaf

Got this query via FoPV.

Good evening, I wonder if you could help or point me in the right direction. We are the current owners of the Porter Cottage pub and are trying to research the history of the pub - what is used to be, when it became a pub, old photographs, previous owners etc - I am looking to see if I can incorporate any of this local history into the pub

There has been confusion between the Porter Tavern and the Porter Cottage Tavern (my fault!)– the Porter Tavern became the Lescar Hotel. I have posted an update on those corrections on the S.H. Pub Updates thread.

Here’s some information from the Sheffield Independent, including a couple of cuttings – one about the not well known Sharrow Vale Disaster of 1877 and a human interest story of Sharrow Vale residents looking after a pauper boy for 4 years before the authorities took an interest.

July 1859 – an inquest held at the Porter Tavern (Lescar) refers to the deceased taking a drink at “Colbeck’s Beer-house”

2nd October 1862 – Sharrow Vale and Ecclesall Floral and Horticultural Society held its first show at the Porter Cottage Tavern. Prizes were awarded by the landlord Joseph Colbeck

25th October 1864 - Ann Colbeck, Joseph’s wife died.

26th February 1866 - Joseph Colbeck died, leaving a young daughter Sarah Ann.

16th September 1869 – at the Brewster sessions John James was granted a beer-house licence for the Porter Cottage

22nd August 1871 – John James of the Porter Cottage was summoned for selling beer during prohibited hours. At twenty to 12 constable Bruce found forty people drinkuing beer. Mr James pleased that as it was Feast time he thought that some latitude was allowed. Fined 2s and costs

8th March 1877 – SERIOUS BOILER EXPLOSION IN SHARROW VALE. Five persons were injured and a great destruction of property. The boiler at the Porter Works Steel and File factory of Robert Smith, Boyd and Co. exploded. The Porter Cottage lost its chimney. (see cutting)

15th June 1880 – To be let – The Porter Cottage Beer-House, Sharrow Vale, Sheffield – Apply Thomas Rawson and Co, Brewers, Sheffield

6th September 1880 – George Barker, the new landlord of the Porter Cottage was assaulted by Thomas Smith, a joiner from Walkley. On the Thursday night, the prisoner was in the tap room behaving in a very excited way. He pulled out a six-chambered revolver and threatened to shoot the landlord and his wife. The weapon and a box of cartridges were removed from Smith. It was thought that he had sold his tools to obtain the revolver. He was remanded pending an enquiry into his mental condition. He was found to be sane and bound to keep the peace for six months.

11th August 1882 – An advertisement for “Two allotments in the Sharrow Vale Land Society to be sold – apply Mrs Barker, Porter Cottage”

6th December 1882 – A ragged pauper boy had been taken in over several years by various people, including Mrs Barker of the Porter Cottage. The court decided that the lad should be taken care of in a more organised way. (see cutting)

18th August 1885 – The Porter Cottage, Porter Steel Works, Porter Forge and various cottages, were for sale. The pub was still being let to Rawson and Co. The yearly rent for the pub was £15.

6th February 1890 – The Sharrow Gentlemen’s Servants Cricket Club held its annual meeting at the Porter Cottage to elect their officers for the year.