Royal Mail............time For A Change ?

hilldweller

What is happening to our Royal Mail ?

I have been waiting for a small package for about 8 days now with a promised delivery of 2/3 days.

I button-hold the postman this morning to enquire about the package. He told me that they were presently dealing with packages postmarked up to the 20th of November. Even up in the rarefied air of Upper Hallam Township the roads were only impassable for 4/5 days. Why then are Royal Mail 3 weeks behind with deliveries ?

The next time I order I shall pay the bit extra for carrier delivery and if other people follow my example then Royal Mail will soon disappear from the scene.

If they cannot operate the service with the present postage rates then surely it is time for realistic prices to enable a proper, timely service.

what do other people think ?

HD

I have been waiting for a small package for about 8 days now with a promised delivery of 2/3 days.

I button-hold the postman this morning to enquire about the package. He told me that they were presently dealing with packages postmarked up to the 20th of November. Even up in the rarefied air of Upper Hallam Township the roads were only impassable for 4/5 days. Why then are Royal Mail 3 weeks behind with deliveries ?

The next time I order I shall pay the bit extra for carrier delivery and if other people follow my example then Royal Mail will soon disappear from the scene.

If they cannot operate the service with the present postage rates then surely it is time for realistic prices to enable a proper, timely service.

HD

I have a similar problem, I ordered a number of items (CD & DVD's) from a large internet company, the despatch date is shown as either 29/11 of 30/11, some have come from both dates some are still outstanding, Alright we had some bad weather nearly a fortnight ago, but thats ages ago.

Perhaps its because its Christmas, nobody told Royal Mail or is it the fact they are saving money by not employing extra staff at this busy time.

Around the same time as I ordered these CD/DVD's I ordered a book from Amazon, inc. free postage, that was delivered 3 days later by courier (in bad weather)

It makes you think

I have a similar problem, I ordered a number of items (CD & DVD's) from a large internet company, the despatch date is shown as either 29/11 of 30/11, some have come from both dates some are still outstanding, Alright we had some bad weather nearly a fortnight ago, but thats ages ago.

Perhaps its because its Christmas, nobody told Royal Mail or is it the fact they are saving money by not employing extra staff at this busy time.

Around the same time as I ordered these CD/DVD's I ordered a book from Amazon, inc. free postage, that was delivered 3 days later by courier (in bad weather)

It makes you think

I have frequently criticised the mail service,

In particular I can't stand postmen who throw those red rubber bands they use to keep letters together in batches in the street :angry:

It amounts to littering and is a criminal offence, yet postmen seem to get away with it.

That aside, I think we are getting good service at present under the circumstances.

We have received several bits of mail, including Stuarts Christmas card, which were posted in the last few days giving a delivery time of only 2-3 days.

To clear the delayed backlog of stuff held up by snow and bad weather and to deal with the Christmas rush we have had deliveries on Sunday for the last few weeks.

Now thats not bad service is it?

In particular I can't stand postmen who throw those red rubber bands they use to keep letters together in batches in the street :angry:

It amounts to littering and is a criminal offence, yet postmen seem to get away with it.

That aside, I think we are getting good service at present under the circumstances.

We have received several bits of mail, including Stuarts Christmas card, which were posted in the last few days giving a delivery time of only 2-3 days.

To clear the delayed backlog of stuff held up by snow and bad weather and to deal with the Christmas rush we have had deliveries on Sunday for the last few weeks.

I only posted your card yesterday morning

I only posted your card yesterday morning

..and delivered the very next morning!

Now that's good service :)

SNAP!!! I win, I said it first!

MrsH tells me that the the one you sent us is the same card that we sent you.

Have you received it yet? I posted it in town on Saturday morning, that's 4 days ago, so if you haven't got it that's NOT good service.

It makes you think

Talking to our postman he reckons that Amazon and junk mail is all that keeps the postal service functioning which is a bit sad though you have to wonder about some of their procedures. I sent something to my mum for her birthday last month - she wasn't in and they left her a card telling her she could collect it from Lane Top sorting office (about 2 miles away! - after 72 hours!) could have delivered it myself in a hour and a half

Talking to our postman he reckons that Amazon and junk mail is all that keeps the postal service functioning which is a bit sad though you have to wonder about some of their procedures. I sent something to my mum for her birthday last month - she wasn't in and they left her a card telling her she could collect it from Lane Top sorting office (about 2 miles away! - after 72 hours!) could have delivered it myself in a hour and a half

On the red cards they leave, if it says 24 hrs that means the postman has taken it himself to the local office

If it says 48/72 hrs, it means the postman has put it back in the postbox and it gets sent down to Brightside lane and goes through the system again.

..and delivered the very next morning!

Now that's good service :)

SNAP!!! I win, I said it first!

MrsH tells me that the the one you sent us is the same card that we sent you.

Have you received it yet? I posted it in town on Saturday morning, that's 4 days ago, so if you haven't got it that's NOT good service.

Yes received it, you can't see where I changed the name can you

I think they should lose the title "Royal". It brings the Royal Family down having such a lousy service :angry:

They are crap! They have lost many items sent to me, one an LP record. They can't deliver on time, they post in the wrong places. My Ant didn't get a pile of letters sent to her. Where did they go? The card in the letter box in the morning, when they don't want to deliver or wait to deliver something that will not go in the letterbox. We did knock! As John Wayne said "the hell ya did". I used to live near that Post Depot on Pit Lane. Letters were often chucked in the hedge near it. I have even seen a postman putting loads of letters in a letter collection point (red-box) that he was meant to be delivering.

...... <Personal Remarks Removed !!!> .....

Royal Mail your days are numbered :P

===========================================

Observe the forum rules please.

S

Yes received it, you can't see where I changed the name can you

You mean like this.

This has passed between me and one of my brothers since the early 70's

The earliest recorded date is 1977 but it started out it's life much earlier than that. Not realising it's long term significance, neither of us thought about putting dates on.

The original, just said:

"Hopes ye don't mind as times is hard ----

--- Agettin this well worn birthdaty card."

Then a few names to represent it's passing from person to person.

It now has a lift up flap to allow for anniversaries, Christmas and other occasions.

It disappears, sometimes for years, and then pops up unexpectedly.

Over the years it has had about 10 extra pages roughly attached. (The rougher the better we think)

The current verse and greeting is never placed directly following the last. This makes it more fun to search through and find.

I have it at the moment, and it hasn't changed hands for about four years so it's probably about time to drop it on my brother unexpectedly this Christmas.

Here's a sample of a couple of the pages.

PS This has not been entrusted to the postal service for many years.and even then it was sent only by Registered post

Now it is hand delivery only.

You mean like this.

The earliest recorded date is 1977 but it started out it's life much earlier than that. Not realising it's long term significance, neither of us thought about putting dates on.

The original, just said:

It now has a lift up flap to allow for anniversaries, Christmas and other occasions.

Over the years it has had about 10 extra pages roughly attached. (The rougher the better we think)

The current verse and greeting is never placed directly following the last. This makes it more fun to search through and find.

I have it at the moment, and it hasn't changed hands for about four years so it's probably about time to drop it on my brother unexpectedly this Christmas.

I like your style

I don't know,

I give them a good write up and the very next day they try to deliver a parcel when we aren't in and they have to leave me a card and take it back to the sorting office for me to collect. :angry:

Oh well, C'est la vie!

At least it's NOT one of those red cards, its a Christmas design card which proudly announces that the sorting office has longer open hours over the Christmas period.

I suppose that will help a bit, I'll be able to collect it at the weekend.

On the red cards they leave, if it says 24 hrs that means the postman has taken it himself to the local office

If it says 48/72 hrs, it means the postman has put it back in the postbox and it gets sent down to Brightside lane and goes through the system again.

When the postman has them the stamps have already been franked.

Does he have to pay for and put new stamps on to put them back in the box and get them redelivered? <_<

Or do they just redeliver them to you and then try to sting you with that extortionate excess postage charge :angry:

You mean like this.

The original, just said:

PS This has not been entrusted to the postal service for many years.and even then it was sent only by Registered post

Now it is hand delivery only.

Oh dear vox.

Stuart was only joking about it being exactly the same card. (In reality a case of "great minds think alike")

But you're not joking about sending the same card for the last 30 odd years are you? B)

Oh dear vox.

Stuart was only joking about it being exactly the same card. (In reality a case of "great minds think alike")

But you're not joking about sending the same card for the last 30 odd years are you? B)

1/ I assumed so.

2/ No I'm not.

1/ I assumed so.

2/ No I'm not.

I thought so.

I have at home 3 Haig Fund / British Legion memorial poppies, one bought in 1967! :huh:

I could wear the same poppy every year and never fork our for another one ;-)

But I think my charitable spirit and respect for the countries war heros prod my concience and dictate that I do buy a new one every year :)

I thought so.

I have at home 3 Haig Fund / British Legion memorial poppies, one bought in 1967! :huh:

I could wear the same poppy every year and never fork our for another one ;-)

But I think my charitable spirit and respect for the countries war heros prod my concience and dictate that I do buy a new one every year :)

Always thought your poppy looked creased

Just got back from a twenty minute stint at the Tapton sorting office. Went to collect a parcel and a queue of 15 in front. Everyone was clutching their cards with their "24/48 hours" and I would say 40 - 50% were told to come back another day as the returns from the rounds had not been sorted from the previous day(s). Two were told that there parcels could not be found full stop, and they would have to claim (But they would have to go to a post office t get a claim form - the sorting office do not have any). All in all shambolic - it is self evident that the "service" element has gone out of the window as Post Office management cravenly follow the latest government whim with regard to profitability and ownership.

The only good news was that they found my parcel, and I had yet more time to seriously reflect on national and local decline :-((

Just got back from a twenty minute stint at the Tapton sorting office. Went to collect a parcel and a queue of 15 in front. Everyone was clutching their cards with their "24/48 hours" and I would say 40 - 50% were told to come back another day as the returns from the rounds had not been sorted from the previous day(s). Two were told that there parcels could not be found full stop, and they would have to claim (But they would have to go to a post office t get a claim form - the sorting office do not have any). All in all shambolic - it is self evident that the "service" element has gone out of the window as Post Office management cravenly follow the latest government whim with regard to profitability and ownership.

The only good news was that they found my parcel, and I had yet more time to seriously reflect on national and local decline :-((

I wonder what sort of experience I will have when I attempt to collect my parcel from Pit Lane sorting office tomorrow? :unsure:

I wonder what sort of experience I will have when I attempt to collect my parcel from Pit Lane sorting office tomorrow? :unsure:

Its busy there on a normal Saturday, once went to pick up a parcel for mum

Its busy there on a normal Saturday, once went to pick up a parcel for mum

Once, eh? and that was enough I take it lol And don't tell us it was back in 1972 :blink:

HD

This might be unpopular on this thread BUT have you forgotten the conditions we've just come out of - and by the looks of it falling into again. RM aren't immune to getting stuck in the snow as well. Plenty of people didn't make it into work for a few days as well - which for RM means things start to back up - PLUS we then have the sudden onslaught of all the Christmas post and parcels.

I too had a long wait in the line at Crosspool sorting office this week, but my gripe is having to go there at all. Still don't understand why parcels are not sent to the local Post Office for a couple of days first so that those of us working all day get a reasonable chance to pick them up - OR they could open the sorting office through until the evening rather than closing it at Noon :angry:

Went early before going to town.

There were 5 people there already all being seen to.

One person had a parcel which had "gone missing" and could not be found, another had a parcel which had not been returned to the sorting office yet, even though they had received the card over 48 hours previously.

The other 3 people were all given their parcels.

I was in the sorting office for less than 5 minutes and was quickly served with my parcel.

So, Royal Mail still gets a thumbs up and a good high score for service from me :)

But clearly not from everyone :(

From my experience this morning 4 out of 6 were happy and got their parcels, 3 out of 6 did not

So, Royal Mail scores 66.7% in the sorting office customer satisfaction survey lol

Glad I got mine in time though, - it contains part of MrsH's Christmas present ;-)

This might be unpopular on this thread BUT have you forgotten the conditions we've just come out of - and by the looks of it falling into again. RM aren't immune to getting stuck in the snow as well. Plenty of people didn't make it into work for a few days as well - which for RM means things start to back up - PLUS we then have the sudden onslaught of all the Christmas post and parcels.

If people are not happy with the Royal Mail service in the run up to Christmas and if it is only local post can they still use the Scout Post Mike?