The Beatles Red And Blue Albums

RichardB

More like Now available in their fifteenth different format !

Are we talking about available now by download from itunes? (fifteenth different format !)

If so, as you can now download individual tracks, paid for individually, in any order or combination as you wish,-

Then the red and blue Beatles albums (also called 1962 -66 and 1967 - 70) are pointless as they are both compilations of the "best of" all the Beatles other works anyway.

They were both released in May 1973, - over 3 years after The Beatles had split up and their music catalogue was effectively complete, notwithstanding the couple of tracks made in the 1990's which used recordings John had left before his untimely death allowing the Beatles to become a complete group again.

The entire Beatles catalogue is around 240 or so tracks, increased to around 450 with bootlegs and BBC / anthology tracks.

Why not just pick and choose what you want on downloads.

Or, if you are a real fan / Beatles enthusiast like me and millions of others, - some of them not even old enough to remember the original group, then just get the whole lot!

Are we talking about available now by download from itunes? (fifteenth different format !)

If so, as you can now download individual tracks, paid for individually, in any order or combination as you wish,-

Then the red and blue Beatles albums (also called 1962 -66 and 1967 - 70) are pointless as they are both compilations of the "best of" all the Beatles other works anyway.

They were both released in May 1973, - over 3 years after The Beatles had split up and their music catalogue was effectively complete, notwithstanding the couple of tracks made in the 1990's which used recordings John had left before his untimely death allowing the Beatles to become a complete group again.

The entire Beatles catalogue is around 240 or so tracks, increased to around 450 with bootlegs and BBC / anthology tracks.

Why not just pick and choose what you want on downloads.

Or, if you are a real fan / Beatles enthusiast like me and millions of others, - some of them not even old enough to remember the original group, then just get the whole lot!

Twas just a comment on how many times its been released; lets not forget the 1976 re-release, simultaneously of all the singles on 7" vinyl; while we're at this who was the biggest album seller of 1967 ? (prizes for no internet).

Twas just a comment on how many times its been released; lets not forget the 1976 re-release, simultaneously of all the singles on 7" vinyl; while we're at this who was the biggest album seller of 1967 ? (prizes for no internet).

1967 was a watershed year, on my calendar the most important year in music history (apologies to Verdi, Greig and all that lot). Everything happened before or after '67, The Kinks released Waterloo Sunset, the best, most evocative record of all time, Procul Harum sang Whiter Shade of Pale, The Beatles All You Need is Love, Fool on the Hill and She's Leaving Home. Cilla released What Good am I and I Only Live to Love You. The Bee Gees came home in 1967 (from Oz) and sang New York Mining Disaster, flower power was at it's zenith, San Francisco was released in 1967. Dylan, the Beach Boys and Mammas and Pappas were doing it in the US. Hendrix, the Hollies, the whole Merseysound thing, Radio Caroline. I've only scratched the surface, there was simply nothing like it before or since. I was just fortunate to have been a teenager at the time.

None of the above came from the internet, just memories. So I don't know the answer to your question Richard. It was probably White Christmas!!

Well Richard,

As you started this topic off with The Beatles who always seemed to top most of the charts in the 1960's

Then you randomly pick up on 1967 which was the year that the Beatles released their first studio album which came to be later regarded as their "masterpiece" work

Would I be wrong in saying it was "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles?

Well Richard,

As you started this topic off with The Beatles who always seemed to top most of the charts in the 1960's

Then you randomly pick up on 1967 which was the year that the Beatles released their first studio album which came to be later regarded as their "masterpiece" work

Would I be wrong in saying it was "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles?

Not sure but:

I think Sgt Pepper is possibly the best selling album of all time, (between it's release and now) but as to whether it sold the most copies in it's release year is another thing.

Not sure but:

I think Sgt Pepper is possibly the best selling album of all time, (between it's release and now) but as to whether it sold the most copies in it's release year is another thing.

You are probably right vox.

But The Beatles were massive and Sgt. Pepper is up there in the all time best selling albums.

I can't honestly see it being anyone else.

Unless it was a record by an older, long established star, not a contemporary 1967 pop star, that has been around for years, appealed to our parents generation and suddenly dropped out an album of greatest hits, - Sinatra or Crosby, someone like that.

Of course if it was Bing that takes us back to THYLACINE's suggestion. lol

Well Richard,

You are right in that you are wrong !

Probably turn out to be a hoax like all these things, but, not the Beatles - nowhere even close.

1967 was a watershed year, on my calendar the most important year in music history (apologies to Verdi, Greig and all that lot). Everything happened before or after '67, The Kinks released Waterloo Sunset, the best, most evocative record of all time, Procul Harum sang Whiter Shade of Pale, The Beatles All You Need is Love, Fool on the Hill and She's Leaving Home. Cilla released What Good am I and I Only Live to Love You. The Bee Gees came home in 1967 (from Oz) and sang New York Mining Disaster, flower power was at it's zenith, San Francisco was released in 1967. Dylan, the Beach Boys and Mammas and Pappas were doing it in the US. Hendrix, the Hollies, the whole Merseysound thing, Radio Caroline. I've only scratched the surface, there was simply nothing like it before or since. I was just fortunate to have been a teenager at the time.

None of the above came from the internet, just memories. So I don't know the answer to your question Richard. It was probably White Christmas!!

White Christmas has sales of around 300 million, generally discounted because of 78's sales which weren't overly well recorded (excuse my punM.

Not sure but:

Outsold by Rumours - Fleetwood Mac, couple of Michael Jackson albums and by The Eagles Greatest Hits; since his passing Jackson probably is top seller.

Who were those highly paid backing singers on thriller, which bands were they with and why the silly names in the early 70's etc.

Etcetera is a big clue here ...

Guinness Book of World Records recognized that XXXXXXXXXX a new record by placing five albums simultaneously on the Billboard Pop Album Chart, an accomplishment that has never been repeated. In April of that year, four of those albums were in the Top 10 simultaneously.

From the internet (no looking you lot, I'm allowed, I know the answer).

I'm veering towards 1966 ... <Boo-Hiss> <Prod Richard with a stick>; sold 13 million recordings in 1966.

Number of XXXX's is not relevant to the artist/group name.

You are right in that you are wrong !

Probably turn out to be a hoax like all these things, but, not the Beatles - nowhere even close.

Seeing as you know what it is Richard, - is it some sort of one off annoying novelty record? <_<

Seeing as you know what it is Richard, - is it some sort of one off annoying novelty record? <_<

Re-read the question Dave, it doesn't say it's one recording - he/they sold a lot of records; made lots too.

Not sure but:

Wikipedia has 32 million sales for St Peppers.

1957 - working with Lou Adler

1958 - Produced Baby Talk for Jan & Dean

Co-wrote "Wonderful World" with Sam Cooke

1962 Album "The Lonely Bull" in the charts for more than three years

1966 - hold down the No. 1 spot on Billboard's pop album chart for a total of 18 weeks during 1966, more than any other act that year. For 4 of the 18 weeks, the XXXXXXXX has both the No. 1 and No. 2 albums. Runners-up: The Beatles, who occupy the top spot for 17 weeks.

In April, the XXXXXXXX have four albums in the Top 10 simultaneously. It remains the greatest domination of the Top 10 since the mono and stereo album charts were combined in 1963.

cited in the Guinness Book of World Records for having five albums in the Top 20 simultaneously, a feat unequalled in recording history.

1966 - Final tally for 1966: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX sold 13.7 million albums in a 12-month period, an unprecedented achievement.

1957 - working with Lou Adler

1958 - Produced Baby Talk for Jan & Dean

Co-wrote "Wonderful World" with Sam Cooke

1962 Album "The Lonely Bull" in the charts for more than three years

1966 - hold down the No. 1 spot on Billboard's pop album chart for a total of 18 weeks during 1966, more than any other act that year. For 4 of the 18 weeks, the XXXXXXXX has both the No. 1 and No. 2 albums. Runners-up: The Beatles, who occupy the top spot for 17 weeks.

In April, the XXXXXXXX have four albums in the Top 10 simultaneously. It remains the greatest domination of the Top 10 since the mono and stereo album charts were combined in 1963.

cited in the Guinness Book of World Records for having five albums in the Top 20 simultaneously, a feat unequalled in recording history.

1966 - Final tally for 1966: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX sold 13.7 million albums in a 12-month period, an unprecedented achievement.

A lot of clues there Richard and I know the answer to some of them.

Would the answer be someone more instantly recognised as a trumpet player?

Is the group the Tijuana Brass?

Would the artist described in your clues be Herb Alpert?

If so I don't know what the album was called but it will be the one that had / Spanish Flea / Tijuana Taxi / Mame / What Now My Love / Zorba the Greek and several other well known popular tunes on it.

If so it suprises me that it sold so many.

A lot of clues there Richard and I know the answer to some of them.

Would the answer be someone more instantly recognised as a trumpet player?

Is the group the Tijuana Brass?

Would the artist described in your clues be Herb Alpert?

If so I don't know what the album was called but it will be the one that had / Spanish Flea / Tijuana Taxi / Mame / What Now My Love / Zorba the Greek and several other well known popular tunes on it.

If so it suprises me that it sold so many.

You got it.

You got it.

So what is the name of the best selling album then?

I don't know that and you have banned me from using the Internet to find out.

So what is the name of the best selling album then?

I don't know that and you have banned me from using the Internet to find out.

You can internet all you like now Dave.

Lilely to be a number of albums sitting in the charts for years on end, I think.

You can internet all you like now Dave.

Use the Internet all I like!!!

I was hoping that after spending ages trying to come up with the answer and carefully working through your clues then having got the right artist that you would just tell me the name of the album.

Use the Internet all I like!!!

I was hoping that after spending ages trying to come up with the answer and carefully working through your clues then having got the right artist that you would just tell me the name of the album.

Re-read the question Dave, it doesn't say it's one recording - he/they sold a lot of records; made lots too.

I don't think there is one album, more lots of relatively sussessful recordings with a chart life measured in years - and, strangely, albums that outsold singles.

I don't think there is one album, more lots of relatively sussessful recordings with a chart life measured in years - and, strangely, albums that outsold singles.

So by listing all his top tracks from that time (eg Spanish Flea and Tijuana Taxi) I have probably already partially answered this bit of your question as well.

Back to Beatles red and Blue albums.

Both of these were double albums so had 4 sides or around 30 tracks each (although I suspect 1962-66 had more tracks than 1967-70 as tracks were shorter in the early 60's at around 2-3 minutes but longer later on)

How much would it cost to download each album (red and blue) in full?

I seem to remember that in 1973 an LP cost £2.25 at the time and a double album was double the price (£4.50)

That seems very cheap, - a bargain basement price now (especially for the best of the Beatles) but was considered very expensive at the time.

So just wondered what the same albums in modern download format would cost today.

As stated earlier I don't actually own these albums as I have all the tracks from them as original release recordings anyway so the red and blue are redundany albums to me, as is the year 2000 released album called "No.1", although I was bought that on CD as a present.