Wadsley Bridge

Guest cheekymonkey

Guest cheekymonkey

took these today as they have nearly demolished the whole site for redevelopment of a new shopping centre.

Great pictures, but I can't place them, been a long time .... what were they say 30 years ago, or in 1846 ? :rolleyes:

Guest cheekymonkey

er dont know realy only ever known the supermaret on the site and halfords and comet on the other side of the road where the pics were taken from?

anyone else help out im only a young un you know he he

The supermarket was called "Gateway" when it first opened and I remeber MFI kitchens being on the site as well.

The supermarket was called "Gateway" when it first opened and I remeber MFI kitchens being on the site as well.

Before that it was a brick yard and when that closed we used to go on the waste land and catch numerous newts in the puddles and we also used to slide down the shale banking getting loppy.

great pics.

i used to go in glynn web alot.

i used to get all my decorating stuff from there.

curtains and candles.lol

nearest one now to me is in doncaster.

missing it already :(

Guest mackyD

Didn't think these building had been up that long ~ always someone deciding we need to "improve" on things.

Before that it was a brick yard and when that closed we used to go on the waste land and catch numerous newts in the puddles and we also used to slide down the shale banking getting loppy.

We used to call it 'the quarry'. There was an old derelict factory on there with a concrete floor, we used walk along the metal beams and make tarzan swings. Also we used to climb up that exposed sandstone face and slide down the shale on those plastic trays that they used to deliver bread. Now I think about it, we had a cycle speedway track on there too......dust on concrete.

We used to call it 'the quarry'. There was an old derelict factory on there with a concrete floor, we used walk along the metal beams and make tarzan swings. Also we used to climb up that exposed sandstone face and slide down the shale on those plastic trays that they used to deliver bread. Now I think about it, we had a cycle speedway track on there too......dust on concrete.

That's right, I remember the factory next to the railway line with the loading chutes at the Halifax Road end. Come to think of it, does anyone have pictures of the old stone bridge?

Really glad to see these piccies, I visit Sheffield infrequently nowadays but was there last week and amazed to see it had all been levelled, we did our early courting at the OK Diner which used to be there, now have to travel down to the one on the A1 to get a Mushroom and Swiss Melt drool!!!

Guest jossman

I visited Sheffield last week and was suprised to see that the Railway pub was boarded up and also the Gate Inn. The New Bridge and the Travellers were still going. I met my 2nd wife in the Railway where she worked as a bar maid in the late 70's and was very sad to see them closed. I had a few pints in the Shaky at Hillsboro' Corner with a few old school mates and was pleased to see that Hillsborough is still thriving and busy. I lived on Shenstone Road and was upset to see Leppings Lane in such a state.