Not Ebay, But..

SteveHB

Jump in quick, contact via PM would be best.

May or may not be Sheffield related - OP not saying.

Old news papers, from the 1930/40/50/60.

Link to sheffieldforum

Sounds like a private collection of newspapers made by a person who is one of these people who never throws anything away in the belief that either it will come in useful one day or that it will be worth a fortune one day.

Either way we need people like that to provide us with raw material for historical research.

Sounds like a private collection of newspapers made by a person who is one of these people who never throws anything away in the belief that either it will come in useful one day or that it will be worth a fortune one day.

Either way we need people like that to provide us with raw material for historical research.

As you say Dave; exactly the sort of stuff we need - anyone got any to offer for our use ?

As ou say Dave; exactly the sort of stuff we need - anyone got any to offer for our use ?

Well, seeing as the collectors, as stated previously, often keep this sort of stuff because they think it will be worth a fortune one day they are likely to ask us for silly amounts of money for the use of such stuff.

Which is why sensible people like you regularly use eBay where at least you have a chance of picking something up at a reasonable price.

I have one newspaper from 1861. I could scan it if that would be any help?

That would be great, Thank you. Real news, just a bit delayed !

Is it a family piece ? or just a random "thing" that you have ?

That would be great, Thank you. Real news, just a bit delayed !

Is it a family piece ? or just a random "thing" that you have ?

It happens to be what got me into Sheffield History and my family history as it has an obituary of a family member in it. It is one of the few family items we have which is related to my ancestors.

Eventually I will scan it but it may take a while :)

It happens to be what got me into Sheffield History and my family history as it has an obituary of a family member in it. It is one of the few family items we have which is related to my ancestors.

Eventually I will scan it but it may take a while :)

You've kept us waiting 139 years already ! a bit longer won't hurt he he

I have one newspaper from 1861. I could scan it if that would be any help?

As it is an 1861 newspaper does it have any mention of the American Civil War?

May seem an unusual question but after talking to some American Civil war re-enactment guys in Norfolk Park a few years ago I found it interesting how many local, usually trade based or mercinary fighter based connections there were with this conflict.

What was really interesting was if these local involvements in American politics were siding with the northern Union or the southern Confederacy.

They seem to have been fairly evenly split between the 2 sides.

So I just wondered, if it is mentioned in an 1861 newspaper, which side the papers journalist was showing a favourable bias towards.

Hmmm... Interesting question.

I will have a look!

Officially the British Government took the side of the northern union, - the United States, as after a war of independence with America just under a century earlier we had pretty good relations with them and did a lot of trade. Further to this Britain had already abolished slavery and stopped the slave trade. The northern states, under the Government of Abraham Lincoln also wanted this.

Unfortunately the southern states with its vast plantations producing cotton and sugar relied extensively on slave labour and wanted to retain Black enslavement, - a major cause of the war.

So, Britain was officially on the side of the Union.

However, many parts of industrial Britain did a lot of trade with the southern Confederacy (Sheffield included) but the whole of Lancashire relied on the import of raw cotton from the southern states for its main industry, - producing cotton goods. So much of this area was really siding with the Confederate forces.

The Union realising this put a blockade on southern ports to try to stop the trade and also tried to stop Cofederacy ships crossing the Atlantic to trade in Europe. There was an American Civil War naval battle which took place in the English Channel, - a long way from the USA, over this very issue.

Some British men went as mercinaries to fight in America for one side or the other, frequently the south. Merchant seamen who got caught up in the trade war often volunteered to go on blockade busting trade trips taking goods, incuding armaments, into blockaded southern ports and, if successful, attempting to come out again with an exchange cargo of cotton.

I suppose most British newspapers at the time would have reported this war, which did not officially involve us, impartially.

Or possibly they took the British Government official line that we supported the Government of the United States and that the Confederacy that had ceded from the Union were just a bunch of rebels.

Or perhaps the people behind the newspaper, being businessmen themselves, had more solidarity with the Confederacy

There was an American Civil War naval battle which took place in the English Channel, - a long way from the USA.

Details of this naval engagement here

Battle of Cherbourg 1864

Although this was part of the American Civil War it was widely reported in the British and French press due to its location