Migration From Gloucestershire To Sheffield

Simon Greenwood

I am tracing my family tree via ancestry.co.uk and have found that my paternal grandmother's family, name of Hancox. moved from the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire to Sheffield in the 1870s, settling in Brightside Bierlow parish. I don't have much more information but I believe that the Forest of Dean had an iron industry so I assume that my great-great-great grandfather moved to work in the iron and steel industry in Sheffield. As it must have been a fair old journey in the 1870s, I assume that he wasn't the only one. Has anyone else traced their family back to the same area for the same reasons?

Here's a bit more information: in 1881 my great-great-great grandfather George Hancox is listed in the census as being an Iron and Steel Forgeman and living at 26 Andover Street. In 1891 his son, my great-great grandfather Frederick Hancox is also an Iron forger, and all live at 127 Rock Street. In 1901 Frederick is married and lives on Fox Street. My Grandma lived on Wallace Road for most of her life.

Are there employee lists for the steelworks in the area? That's probably quite a big list, as I can remember visiting my Grandma in the 70s and the bottom end of Wallace Road being still busy with small firms. I think it must be time to visit the library.