Sheffield Blitz 12-13Th And 15-16Th December 1940

Stuart0742

I meant it was a pity they got it wrong, I don't like her either

Look Leeds don't come to Sheffield often enough to know that much about the place do they.

It's a bit too much to ask that they should get their fact right before the broadcast

TV Programme on about the Sheffield Blitz , next Friday , BBC 1 at 7.30pm Fri 17th Dec.

Quote:

In December 1940, the full horror of World War Two came to Sheffield. Over two nights, Luftwaffe raids left more than 600 dead and 40,000 homeless. Author Terry Deary tracks down survivors and unearths never-before-published documents to investigate why the Germans laid waste to the city centre whilst virtually ignoring the steel works so vital to Britain's war effort.

...WORTH WATCHING !

Let's hope that this BBC broadcast on Friday, recommended by transit, is better than Christa's effort tonight

You can imagine the meeting in the Look Leeds boardroom can't you, -

"OK so we have got to do an item on the 70th anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz so someone will have to go to Sheffield"

"Not me". "I'm not going". "Send someone else on that one". "Do we have to?". "Isn't there something here in Leeds we can do instead" etc.

At least one of the presenters of this section of tonights "Look Leeds" programme must have a Sheffield connection or even be a Sheffield lass.

She went to see her grandad who gave an eye witness account of what the Sheffield Blitz experience was like for him as a 12 year old.

Her grandad was quite clearly a Sheffield lad.

See this link to Radio Sheffield Site, more peoples memories

interestingly it has a link back to our site, albeit to Admins original topic not this one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/front_page/newsid_9273000/9273836.stm

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZEBcRgurxk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZEBcRgurxk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I meant it was a pity they got it wrong, I don't like her either

Christa's not got many fans has she? I have never heard one person say they like her, I'm

surprised she has lasted so long on that program.

I'm another one that don't like. She's too " I love me " for my liking.

But Ron Clayton was worth watcing.

Ron Clayton describes himself as a "professional Sheffielder" in this clip.

To be a "pro Sheffielder" on SheffieldHistory you have to have made about 30 posts or so <_<

I couldn't find a member called Ron Clayton or 30 posts he had made. lol

What a pity he is not one of our members as I am sure he would be able to make endless interesting posts for us.

Christa's not got many fans has she? I have never heard one person say they like her, I'm

surprised she has lasted so long on that program.

I'm another one that don't like. She's too " I love me " for my liking.

But Ron Clayton was worth watcing.

Don't know why the BBC took her on.

Previously she had worked on Calendar for ITV Yorkshire Television and she was just as bad on that.

Perhaps she is well liked in Leeds and Bradford being as she seems to favour that area so much.

To be a "pro Sheffielder" on SheffieldHistory you have to have made about 30 posts or so <_<

What a pity he is not one of our members as I am sure he would be able to make endless interesting posts for us.

I' m surprised he's not a member , I'm sure he could contribute to many of our posts.

I saw him on the Wardsend Cemetery tour a couple of years ago. In fact I drive past him

at least twice a week.

How do we know he hasn't made any posts , most of us go under different names.

How do we know he hasn't made any posts , most of us go under different names.

Good point ukelele lady.

Will the real Ron Clayton, if he is a member of Sheffield History identify himself

by PM to an administrator if he wishes to preserve his annonimity and alias)

It would be nice to now we have a professional local historian with us.

I could see several levels above Pro-Sheffielder at 30 posts, including Sheffield History 500-post a suitable name, Sheffield History 1000-post a suitable name, 2500, 5000, 10,000 - insest suitable names for different levels of input ... at 15,000 its Sheffield History Obsessive near D.I.V.O.R.C.E. he he

Difficult with different people and different skills, I can think of a Pub History Expert (I follow in the furrows she ploughs) - but what about those that look after our security, improve photos, provide endless links that improve the quality of the site, the endless scans, etc etc - these people know their worth and input already I suppose.

Pro-Sheffielder at 30 posts - there ought to be more beyond that.

Professional Sheffield Old-Timer, Professional Miserable Old Trout, Professional Sheffield History Belligerent Blokie.

---------------

Not a serious post BTW

Difficult with different people and different skills, I can think of a Pub History Expert (I follow in the furrows she ploughs) - but what about those that look after our security, improve photos, provide endless links that improve the quality of the site, the endless scans, etc etc - these people know their worth and input already I suppose.

---------------

Not a serious post BTW

You're so right Richard , without our " experts " in the background [ you know who you are ]

then this site would not be as professional as it is.

We do visit the " other " site , I've recognized many names but I think this one is more civilized.

I could see several levels above Pro-Sheffielder at 30 posts, including Sheffield History 500-post a suitable name, Sheffield History 1000-post a suitable name, 2500, 5000, 10,000 - insest suitable names for different levels of input ... at 15,000 its Sheffield History Obsessive near D.I.V.O.R.C.E. he he

Pro-Sheffielder at 30 posts - there ought to be more beyond that.

Professional Sheffield Old-Timer, Professional Miserable Old Trout, Professional Sheffield History Belligerent Blokie.

---------------

Not a serious post BTW

I think that would be a bit too eliteist Richard.

Only YOU have over 15000

Only a dozen or so regular big posters (mainly administrators) have over 1000

The majority of members actually have LESS than 30

You're so right Richard , without our " experts " in the background [ you know who you are ]

then this site would not be as professional as it is.

We do visit the " other " site , I've recognized many names but I think this one is more civilized.

Like any organisation or group to be a success we need lots of members, with lots of different skills, knowledge bases, experiences and interests all taking an active part.

We do pretty well on that.

But what makes us better than the others is the fact that we all get on so well and have that friendly, civilised outlook.

My grandfather William Benton was an ARP ambulance driver during the Sheffield Blitz, he didn't come home for 3 days! My grandmother thought he was a gonna!! When he did come home, she was making the meal for the famiy, when he came through the back door of their house on the Manor. Her first words to him were "Where the bloody hell have you been? " His reply "Not on holiday!" He was covered with ash and black from head to foot. And he smelt of fire.

One experiance he recalled to the family was that he had attended the Marples Hotel, which was known for it's bar. So grandmother thought that he had been drinking there. "No rescuing people it's had a direct hit!" When he arrived at the scene, the crew had to wait to go in, on the instructions of the firemen, as the building was still falling down. Outside a young boy (approx 10 years old) said that he knew his mum was in there. The lad wanted to go inside saying that his mum had gone to look for his father in the pub. William told him to wait and asked for his parents name and said to the lad that he would call out for them when searching. But the young lad would not wait and before anyone could stop him, had ran inside the building and was killed when part of the building fell on him. I assume that the mother and father were already dead.

William had been in the first war and was gassed, but it didn't stop him doing what he could, he talked about the above an experiance that upset him greatly. But as shocking as it was, he never talked about his time on the front line, somethings even an old soldier doesn't want to talk about. But he wasn't one for giving up! So he had something to eat and had a bath and then went back out to help.

He died in the 1970's of lung problems, caused by the gas. A late victim of WW1. To me, only young boy myself when he died, he was a grumpy old man, but now I know him a bit better and can understand why.

Guest Trefcon

History dude,

thats one of the best post's i've seen on here, touched me it did, in fact it touched me a lot.

Dean.

ps. i'll badger you later for details of your grandfathers WW1 service.

On BBC I-player but for how long - watch it quick!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wmc3n/Sheffield_The_Forgotten_Blitz/

The Retro section in Saturdays Star had part 2 in last Saturday

Richard i have sent you an email about this

I was rushing about so much on Saturday I forgot all about part 2 of this Star suppliment. :huh:

..and it was me that had advertised this on here in the first place :angry:

One of the disadvantages of no longer having a regular subscription and delivery of The Star

I was rushing about so much on Saturday I forgot all about part 2 of this Star suppliment. :huh:

..and it was me that had advertised this on here in the first place :angry:

One of the disadvantages of no longer having a regular subscription and delivery of The Star

I have a copy

On 12/17/2010 at 19:49, History dude said:

My grandfather William Benton was an ARP ambulance driver during the Sheffield Blitz, he didn't come home for 3 days! My grandmother thought he was a gonna!! When he did come home, she was making the meal for the famiy, when he came through the back door of their house on the Manor. Her first words to him were "Where the bloody hell have you been? " His reply "Not on holiday!" He was covered with ash and black from head to foot. And he smelt of fire.

One experiance he recalled to the family was that he had attended the Marples Hotel, which was known for it's bar. So grandmother thought that he had been drinking there. "No rescuing people it's had a direct hit!" When he arrived at the scene, the crew had to wait to go in, on the instructions of the firemen, as the building was still falling down. Outside a young boy (approx 10 years old) said that he knew his mum was in there. The lad wanted to go inside saying that his mum had gone to look for his father in the pub. William told him to wait and asked for his parents name and said to the lad that he would call out for them when searching. But the young lad would not wait and before anyone could stop him, had ran inside the building and was killed when part of the building fell on him. I assume that the mother and father were already dead.

William had been in the first war and was gassed, but it didn't stop him doing what he could, he talked about the above an experiance that upset him greatly. But as shocking as it was, he never talked about his time on the front line, somethings even an old soldier doesn't want to talk about. But he wasn't one for giving up! So he had something to eat and had a bath and then went back out to help.

He died in the 1970's of lung problems, caused by the gas. A late victim of WW1. To me, only young boy myself when he died, he was a grumpy old man, but now I know him a bit better and can understand why.

Very interesting. Do you have any more information please, where was he based? My mother was a member and I am trying to piece things together