Sheffield Blitz 12-13Th And 15-16Th December 1940

Stuart0742

Central Picture House

69-71 The Moor

First opened 30th January 1922, Blitz damaged, Demolished May 1961.

1929 Crowds waiting to see the first musical 'The Broadway Melody' at The Central Picture House

1930's

General view of The Moor, premises on left include No 72, Williams Deacon's Bank Ltd., premises on right include No 69-71, Central Picture House

Blitz damage more

June 1952

The Moor, No 37/41, Phillips Furnishing Stores Ltd., House Furnishers, building in background was Central Picture House, the occupied by Tuckwood's Stores Ltd. and John Atkinson, Central Store

Left to right;

Castle Street (Old Town Hall), King Street, Burton's, Fitzalan Square.

They certainly gave the old place a good kicking !

Public passage on between Nos 157-159, Eyre Street, taken after blitz (premises belonging to ?)

Photographer: Sheffield City Council

12/12/1940

If its daylight then that picture wasn't taken on the 12th.

Public passage on between Nos 157-159, Eyre Street, taken after blitz (premises belonging to ?)

Photographer: Sheffield City Council

12/12/1940

If its daylight then that picture wasn't taken on the 12th.

Left hand side "Hallam Works"

Could be these people :

Latham & Owen

Stainless Steel Cutlery Manufacturers (D & D E Owen) - from Kelly's 1925 - could be later owners ?

Entrance down the passage

Aerial View - City Centre after the Blitz including Cathedral, Church Street, centre, Fargate, High Street, Angel Street & West Bar in foreground, Sheffield Corporation Tramway & Omnibus Depot, Tenter Street, right & Fitzalan Square & Pond Street

Former premises of John Walsh Ltd., Department Store, Nos 44-64, High Street, derelict 3 years after the Blitz

Walsh's had a hard time as a Company, moving over the road then being blown to bits. We have a history somewhere on here ...

The fate of the Marples Hotel (London Mart) December 12th.

www.chrishobbs.com

When I'm done chasing stuff, I may investigate each of those names and addresses Sheffield-related because I bet nobody else has been daft enough to.

A fresh challenge for I-have-an-idea-man, Lawrence would have laughed himself silly at the very thought

As an example, was Lily Taylor the daughter of Mrs Annie Taylor (same address in 1919 and 1925) ?

Was her Father called Philip Taylor (different address, but Holme Lane and 1911) - we need a 1911 Census expert to answer that one.

Looks like The Star have got the same idea as us.

Todays copy, Saturday 11 December 2010 contains a 12 page 70th anniversary of the Blitz souvenier pull out containing pictures and stories, most of which are local peoples first hand accounts and memories.

Bought a copy of The Star just for this alone.

Don't think copyright allows me to scan and post it on here though.

If it does I will have to enlist Stuart with the A3 size scanner to scan newspaper pages.

Looks like The Star have got the same idea as us.

Todays copy, Saturday 11 December 2010 contains a 12 page 70th anniversary of the Blitz souvenier pull out containing pictures and stories, most of which are local peoples first hand accounts and memories.

Bought a copy of The Star just for this alone.

Don't think copyright allows me to scan and post it on here though.

If it does I will have to enlist Stuart with the A3 size scanner to scan newspaper pages.

I'd like a copy of that if someone could oblige please.

I'd like a copy of that if someone could oblige please.

If you want me to get the copy I have scanned by Stuart you may have to wait quite a while for a copy.

I'm not seeing Stuart until January now :( , we have had to exchange Christmas cards and New Year's greetings by post :o

Just another aspect of busy lifestyles and poor weather getting in the way.

Guest transit

TV Programme on about the Sheffield Blitz , next Friday , BBC 1 at 7.30pm Fri 17th Dec.

Quote:

In December 1940, the full horror of World War Two came to Sheffield. Over two nights, Luftwaffe raids left more than 600 dead and 40,000 homeless. Author Terry Deary tracks down survivors and unearths never-before-published documents to investigate why the Germans laid waste to the city centre whilst virtually ignoring the steel works so vital to Britain's war effort.

...WORTH WATCHING !

TV Programme on about the Sheffield Blitz , next Friday , BBC 1 at 7.30pm Fri 17th Dec.

Quote:

In December 1940, the full horror of World War Two came to Sheffield. Over two nights, Luftwaffe raids left more than 600 dead and 40,000 homeless. Author Terry Deary tracks down survivors and unearths never-before-published documents to investigate why the Germans laid waste to the city centre whilst virtually ignoring the steel works so vital to Britain's war effort.

...WORTH WATCHING !

Thanks transit,

Virgin V+ digibox already set to record it in case I forget.

In December 1940, the full horror of World War Two came to Sheffield. Over two nights, Luftwaffe raids left more than 600 dead and 40,000 homeless.

A simple link but have we seen this

Sheffield Blitz, Wikipedia

Transits quoted figures reminded me that i had seen something similar in terms of numerical statistics previously on Wikipedia

A simple link but have we seen this

Sheffield Blitz, Wikipedia

Transits quoted figures reminded me that i had seen something similar in terms of numerical statistics previously on Wikipedia

Great detail in that Dave; a fine post.

Confirms the hammer story; I didn't know it was made in Germany. Remarkable the Germans didn't hit Sheffield earlier and harder.