Sheffield Weather Station

dunsbyowl1867

I heard reference to this on the radio the other day and have searched on here for a topic but can't find one! Which doesn't mean there isn't one and no doubt someone will find it.

Anyway it was mentioned this was a fantastic resource because they have, as an official weather station , got records going back to 1882 and therefore can confirm or otherwise that this is or isn't the earliest or coldest December since records began in Sheffield because they have got them! Long may it last!

(Reminded me of middle school where we had to take it in turns to go and inspect the school's mini weather station and record the results!)

http://www.museums-s...meet_point.html

(Reminded me of middle school where we had to take it in turns to go and inspect the school's mini weather station and record the results!)

That's a point Dunsby.

I wonder what happened to all that data from schools which have since closed. (And indeed from those still open.)

I remember having a weather station at at least one of the schools I went to, 1 of which is closed, 1 moved and another amalgamated.

Sheffield does indeed have a weather station - as mentioned in the link you quote.

A limited set of data is available on the Met Office site at this link, but the museum holds daily data back to 1882 - much of which is accessible through an interactive display in the museum foyer. I believe that the Local Studies Library may have copies of some of the data, and may have archives of such things as the daily or monthly reports - I wouldn't swear to that. If you keep your eyes peeled I may (eventually) put up a posting announcing a book about the station and about the weather in sheffield (if we ever finish writing it!!!!!!!!).

[A suggestion to the Moderators - I had been going to suggest that a Sub-forum on Sheffield Weather might not go amiss - While it ought to avoid too much discussion of the current weather, there is a lot to say about the past weather, both from our own memories, and from documents. The thing I find interesting is the effect of the weather on peoples lives and work. A snippet for starters ... Where in the Sheffield area have coal miners gone to work by boat? Answer - Beighton Colliery in the floods following the thaw after the bitter winter of 1946-47 (and in other floods).]

Later addition ...............

I should have said that Sheffield has more than one weather station! The second is a privately run station located in Norton Lees which has its own web-site here.

... and therefore can confirm or otherwise that this is or isn't the earliest or coldest December since records began in Sheffield because they have got them!

... on this specific point - the coldest DECEMBER temperature recorded at Weston Park weather station was -10degC on 30/12/1908 (OK it was in degF in those days!, but just as cold), the coldest temperature recorded was -14.6degC on 8/2/1895. Last week saw the lowest NOVEMBER temperature recorded (See Paul Hudson's Blog) - the previous record was -6.2decC on 24/11/1993. Bear in mind that Weston Park isn't the coldest bit of the city!

That's a point Dunsby.

I remember having a weather station at at least one of the schools I went to, 1 of which is closed, 1 moved and another amalgamated.

We had one also at Hillfool County School in the 1950s. It would be the junior 3 class where pupils would take it in turns to record the temperature and weather conditions of the day. I remember the thermometer was mounted on a outside window sill overlooking the river Don. The readings were recorded in a book [going back to the 1930s] kept hung on the wall behind the teachers desk. W/E.

We had one also at Hillfool County School in the 1950s. It would be the junior 3 class where pupils would take it in turns to record the temperature and weather conditions of the day. I remember the thermometer was mounted on a outside window sill overlooking the river Don. The readings were recorded in a book [going back to the 1930s] kept hung on the wall behind the teachers desk. W/E.

And where's the book now WE. I wonder if it's been saved.

And where's the book now WE. I wonder if it's been saved.

Perhaps 'neddy' may know, or at least remember it. W/E.

[A suggestion to the Moderators - I had been going to suggest that a Sub-forum on Sheffield Weather might not go amiss - While it ought to avoid too much discussion of the current weather, there is a lot to say about the past weather, both from our own memories, and from documents. The thing I find interesting is the effect of the weather on peoples lives and work. A snippet for starters ... Where in the Sheffield area have coal miners gone to work by boat? Answer - Beighton Colliery in the floods following the thaw after the bitter winter of 1946-47 (and in other floods).]

Why not start by starting your own topic in, for example, Sheffield History Chat Adrian?

We can then judge what sort of responses the topic is getting before decideing if it is big enough a topic for a sub forum.

It sounds like a good idea for a topic to me so why not give it a try.

... on this specific point - the coldest DECEMBER temperature recorded at Weston Park weather station was -10degC on 30/12/1908 (OK it was in degF in those days!, but just as cold), the coldest temperature recorded was -14.6degC on 8/2/1895. Last week saw the lowest NOVEMBER temperature recorded (See Paul Hudson's Blog) - the previous record was -6.2decC on 24/11/1993. Bear in mind that Weston Park isn't the coldest bit of the city!

What about that night in January 1982 (I think it was around the 20th or so) when the news headlines were-

"-20degC, Sheffield is colder than the South Pole!"

Now that statistic comes from the front page of the local newspaper The Star rather than the metrological office or a weather station,

so it may not be entirely accurate and could contain some journalistic "lying in the Sun"

All I can remember is that having had to drive a motorbike in it and getting frozen solid it was really cold.

That's a point Dunsby.

I wonder what happened to all that data from schools which have since closed. (And indeed from those still open.)

I have mentioned our little weather station at Norfolk Junior School here

Although the school is still there as a "naughty boys and girls referal unit" (a place to send kids expelled from other schools across the City) it seems that neither our weather station or its records, - recorded on monthly charts outside Man Walsh's classroom have survived. A large proportion of the charts done between September 1963 and July 1967 would have been done by me and a few select classmates like the 2 Steves, - Herbert and Crookes.

All that work for nowt! :(

What about that night in January 1982 (I think it was around the 20th or so) when the news headlines were-

"-20degC, Sheffield is colder than the South Pole!"

I could say - 'if it said so in the paper, it must be true', but I'm a realist !!!!!

I have taken a look at the data I have. At Weston Park, the 'official' lowest temperature was -9.2C on the 10th of January - it had also been down to -9.1C on the 18th December 1981. Lying snow had been around for most of December (deepest just before Christmas) and it dwindled through the first couple of weeks of January. Here is a snippet from my notes ...

1981, December Cold and Snow

With an average of 0.03°C, 1981 had the coldest December since 1890 (which still holds the record ( -0.5°C) for Weston Park) (Note that the very cold winters of 1947 and 1963 were at their coldest in February). Temperatures fell to -9.1°C on the 18th, the coldest December night since 1908.

The depth of lying snow on the 20th (34mm) remains the deepest December snow in the Weston Park record, and 1981 saw the first White Christmas since 1970.

1982, January Cold

A very cold month with air temperatures falling to -9.2°C on the 10th.

1982, January 31st Dry Weather, Grass Fires

Following low rainfall through most of the month, warm weather and drying winds caused by high pressure over northern France led to grass fires across the region. A Fire Service spokesman said he had never heard of grass fires in January before.

That said, this was at Weston Park, which is rarely the coldest place in Sheffield. The 'official' averages for December and January at WP were 0C (0.03 sounds a bit over precise) and +2.8C, but for the Metropolitan District, some data I have reckons they got down to about -2.3C up on Howden Moors in December, and down to 0.5C around Howden in January. OK I'm talking averages and extremes there, but in both months, the centre of Sheffield was warmer than all the surrounding districts (I suspect not many people were up on Howden Moors, but I hear people do live in the frozen wastes of Lodge Moor).

One 'problem' is that these are all 'Air' temperatures taken in controlled conditions about 4ft above the ground. Its generally colder on the ground (I have seen data at WP where it was 7 degrees lower) - its the reason why there are a lot more days with 'ground' frost than 'air' frost, and the reason why you might still hit black ice when the 'official' air temperature is positive.

This also shows the problems on one hand with 'official' readings, which are not what most people feel when they stick their nose out of the door (or skid along on their bum across the black ice), and on the other hand with someone sticking a thermometer out of the door and saying the official readings are 'wrong'. Both lots of info have their uses and relevance, and I would love to see them brought together in a coordinated way. Let's not get into wind chill and 'feels like' temperatures quoted in the forecasts!!!

People have mentioned the readings taken at schools through the area - If anyone does come across these records, the museum at WP would welcome a copy of them. They already have a collection of data from many sources and one day they might persuade a volunteer (any takers? Please form an orderly queue!) to do some more work on them.

I could say - 'if it said so in the paper, it must be true', but I'm a realist !!!!!

I have taken a look at the data I have. At Weston Park, the 'official' lowest temperature was -9.2C on the 10th of January - it had also been down to -9.1C on the 18th December 1981. Lying snow had been around for most of December (deepest just before Christmas) and it dwindled through the first couple of weeks of January. Here is a snippet from my notes ...

1981, December Cold and Snow

With an average of 0.03°C, 1981 had the coldest December since 1890 (which still holds the record ( -0.5°C) for Weston Park) (Note that the very cold winters of 1947 and 1963 were at their coldest in February). Temperatures fell to -9.1°C on the 18th, the coldest December night since 1908.

The depth of lying snow on the 20th (34mm) remains the deepest December snow in the Weston Park record, and 1981 saw the first White Christmas since 1970.

1982, January Cold

A very cold month with air temperatures falling to -9.2°C on the 10th.

1982, January 31st Dry Weather, Grass Fires

Following low rainfall through most of the month, warm weather and drying winds caused by high pressure over northern France led to grass fires across the region. A Fire Service spokesman said he had never heard of grass fires in January before.

That said, this was at Weston Park, which is rarely the coldest place in Sheffield. The 'official' averages for December and January at WP were 0C (0.03 sounds a bit over precise) and +2.8C, but for the Metropolitan District, some data I have reckons they got down to about -2.3C up on Howden Moors in December, and down to 0.5C around Howden in January. OK I'm talking averages and extremes there, but in both months, the centre of Sheffield was warmer than all the surrounding districts (I suspect not many people were up on Howden Moors, but I hear people do live in the frozen wastes of Lodge Moor).

One 'problem' is that these are all 'Air' temperatures taken in controlled conditions about 4ft above the ground. Its generally colder on the ground (I have seen data at WP where it was 7 degrees lower) - its the reason why there are a lot more days with 'ground' frost than 'air' frost, and the reason why you might still hit black ice when the 'official' air temperature is positive.

This also shows the problems on one hand with 'official' readings, which are not what most people feel when they stick their nose out of the door (or skid along on their bum across the black ice), and on the other hand with someone sticking a thermometer out of the door and saying the official readings are 'wrong'. Both lots of info have their uses and relevance, and I would love to see them brought together in a coordinated way. Let's not get into wind chill and 'feels like' temperatures quoted in the forecasts!!!

People have mentioned the readings taken at schools through the area - If anyone does come across these records, the museum at WP would welcome a copy of them. They already have a collection of data from many sources and one day they might persuade a volunteer (any takers? Please form an orderly queue!) to do some more work on them.

Thanks for the research there Adrian.

I suppose I should try to track down the copy of The Star with that headline really.

But, like I said when you are on a motorbike it just feels really cold.

There must be a lot of windchill with that cold air being forced past you as the bike moves forward.

It's not exactly like driving in a car with the heater on is it? lol

I usually keep a record of daily temperatures and barometric pressure, but for one reason or another I have not done so for a while. One day a few weeks ago I did notice the glass had dropped to 952mb the lowest I remember for a long time. Could this have been a clue of what lay in store for us ? W/E.

I usually keep a record of daily temperatures and barometric pressure, but for one reason or another I have not done so for a while. One day a few weeks ago I did notice the glass had dropped to 952mb the lowest I remember for a long time. Could this have been a clue of what lay in store for us ? W/E.

I like to keep a daily record of barometric pressure and with this in mind I purchased a large and expensive German made barometer a few years ago. Unfortunately the minimum pressure it registers is 980 millibars. This means that for long periods in winter the needle is jammed against the lower end-stop. I emailed paultheweatherman to ask if continental european air pressures didn't drop as far but he told me that they did and couldn't tell me why it didn't register any lower.

HD

I like to keep a daily record of barometric pressure and with this in mind I purchased a large and expensive German made barometer a few years ago. Unfortunately the minimum pressure it registers is 980 millibars. This means that for long periods in winter the needle is jammed against the lower end-stop. I emailed paultheweatherman to ask if continental european air pressures didn't drop as far but he told me that they did and couldn't tell me why it didn't register any lower.

HD

My barometer is German made also, it has a twin diaphram doppeldose, [whatever that is] . I have no idea of the cost as it was a 25 years service award, but it looks expensive. At this moment in time it is showing 1027mb, though after a slight tap it is now 1025ish. W/E.

My barometer is German made also, it has a twin diaphram doppeldose, [whatever that is] . I have no idea of the cost as it was a 25 years service award, but it looks expensive. At this moment in time it is showing 1027mb, though after a slight tap it is now 1025ish. W/E.

With a diaphram this sounds like an aneroid (without air) barometer.

It contains a metal box with a springy metal diaphram containing a vacuum.

Air pressure is constantly trying to crush the diaphram inward as there is no air (a vacuum) behind it but the springy metal diaphram is trying to spring outwards.

As the air pressure changes the diaphram moves inward (higher pressure) and outwards (lower pressure)and it is connected to a lever which moves either a dial or over a scale or a stylus which prints a chart of pressure variation.

I used to like to keep a daily record of the air pressure.

My barometer (I say mine, it was actually property of Derbyshire County Council Education Committee and was in my scince lab at work) was English made.

It was a Torrecelli vacuum mercury barometer, consisting of a 1 metre high calibrated glass tube full of mercury stood in an open dish of mercury. The column of mercury was supported by atmospheric pressure and its height varied with the air pressure so it measured pressure directly in millimetres of mercury (mmHg).

I don't record the air pressure any more as in 2003 the use of mercury in equipment like this was ruled out by Health & Safety regulations due to the toxicity of mercury and its vapourisation into the air from open containers so it was taken away and disposed of. :angry:

However, being ever synical, it was taken away "for disposal" and I know that the quantity of mercury it contained was worth, at that time, around £350 to £400.

I think it was more a question of "No you can't have a barometer like that any more it's dangerous, we'll take it away" to us and "We're quids on here lads, - money for nowt" amongst the workers at the disposal company. <_<

We have a local 'on-line' weather station at Norton.

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/

Current conditions at

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/meso2/index.html

Click on any of the readings to see a record of obs for 1 hour up to 31 days.

Records from 2002 are available from the 'Weather data' section link on the Home page.

There is a limited data set of Weston Park records (monthly tMax, tMin) back to 1882 on the web somewhere...via a link on the Met Office site I think.

We have a local 'on-line' weather station at Norton.

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/

Current conditions at

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/meso2/index.html

Click on any of the readings to see a record of obs for 1 hour up to 31 days.

Records from 2002 are available from the 'Weather data' section link on the Home page.

There is a limited data set of Weston Park records (monthly tMax, tMin) back to 1882 on the web somewhere...via a link on the Met Office site I think.

Thanks Gramps,

I am sure we have already got this link in another topic somewhere as I remember using it quite recently. <_<

Have we got 2 weather station topics that could be combined perhaps? :unsure: