Whats it like where you are

Stuart0742

View from my back window yesterday - spot the snow Daleks!

And up the road this morning

The tracks are all mine as I'm the only vehicle that can move. Have done quite a bit of shopping for the elderly residents, got a neighbour to her Chemotherapy appointment, and towed an ambulance out of trouble today.

Good on you mike, that's what I like to hear. Hope Santa doesn't forget you. :)

Good on you mike, that's what I like to hear. Hope Santa doesn't forget you. :)

Yes well done mike, some good local community voluntary work there :)

Then again I suppose it comes with all that Scout training and involvement ;-)

You should get a badge for it lol

Yes well done mike, some good local community voluntary work there :)

Then again I suppose it comes with all that Scout training and involvement ;-)

You should get a badge for it lol

You're right, just need to design the badge now?

And thanks to Steve for his photoshop intervention.

And thanks to Steve for his photoshop intervention.

Didn't realise it was your vehicle mike, you said tou had been out in it and in the picture it is still covered in snow.

Anyway I thought you had the personalised number plate 142 SL (Sure Steve could arrange that on photoshop) lol

Didn't realise it was your vehicle mike, you said tou had been out in it and in the picture it is still covered in snow.

Anyway I thought you had the personalised number plate 142 SL (Sure Steve could arrange that on photoshop) lol

the pic was taken first thing, before I cleared it to get out.

Not so nice at Aston; might have cleared up by now ...

January 6, 1764, Aston, near Sheffield.

"The bad weather has confined me a fortnight longer in this place than I intended."

H. Walpole to the Rev. W. Mason.

Things are looking a little better.

Not that much better ukelele lady, although some of the snow has now started to thaw a little.

I ventured out in the car today to go shopping for basic supplies which seem to be in short supply locally due to lack of deliveries.

Many roads, even main ones, still seems to have a compressed covering of snow / ice up to 6" deep which makes the going a bit hairy and slow.

But the worst is many main roads are down to a single lane due to piled up deep snow and long lines of abandoned vehicles. That means that while you are travelling along the cleared lane there are bound to be problems if someone is coming the other way, - this seems to slow you down more than the actual ice and snow. The cleared lane by the way doesn't have a priority as it wanders across the road from one side to the other just to avoid abandoned vehicles.

But even more annoying than all that are the pedestrians that are forced to walk in the road because the pavements are either a foot and a half deep in snow or as slippy as a skating rink. OK, I accept that pedestrians need to do that and I would do the same myself but what I can't accept is the total ignorance of some of them who walk with their back to oncoming traffic and refuse to acknowledge its presence, a sort of "I can't see you so you are not there" attitude. Even a warning flash of the lights or honk on the hooter gets no response, - not even a rude one. All they achieve is slowing the traffic down to their walking pace and putting themselves in extreme danger as if they were to slip on the ice or stop suddenly the car behind them, even at 2mph on ice, probably would not be able to stop in time before hitting them.

In places where the snow has been cleared it has often been piled up in hugh heaps, up to 5 or 6 feet in places and often in inappropriate places where they present a new hazzard.

It is still not good for "getting back to normal"

Not that much better ukelele lady, although some of the snow has now started to thaw a little.

I ventured out in the car today to go shopping for basic supplies which seem to be in short supply locally due to lack of deliveries.

Many roads, even main ones, still seems to have a compressed covering of snow / ice up to 6" deep which makes the going a bit hairy and slow.

But the worst is many main roads are down to a single lane due to piled up deep snow and long lines of abandoned vehicles. That means that while you are travelling along the cleared lane there are bound to be problems if someone is coming the other way, - this seems to slow you down more than the actual ice and snow. The cleared lane by the way doesn't have a priority as it wanders across the road from one side to the other just to avoid abandoned vehicles.

But even more annoying than all that are the pedestrians that are forced to walk in the road because the pavements are either a foot and a half deep in snow or as slippy as a skating rink. OK, I accept that pedestrians need to do that and I would do the same myself but what I can't accept is the total ignorance of some of them who walk with their back to oncoming traffic and refuse to acknowledge its presence, a sort of "I can't see you so you are not there" attitude. Even a warning flash of the lights or honk on the hooter gets no response, - not even a rude one. All they achieve is slowing the traffic down to their walking pace and putting themselves in extreme danger as if they were to slip on the ice or stop suddenly the car behind them, even at 2mph on ice, probably would not be able to stop in time before hitting them.

In places where the snow has been cleared it has often been piled up in hugh heaps, up to 5 or 6 feet in places and often in inappropriate places where they present a new hazzard.

It is still not good for "getting back to normal"

Well I know it's no where near normal , but at least you've got your car out.

We saw a gritter for the first time at the beginning of the year but never seen one in 34 years

on our road. We have no grit bin either even though we keep asking for one.

We managed to move some snow today but where to put it all is the problem.

Hoping to get the car out on Monday morning without the councils help may I add.

Well I know it's no where near normal , but at least you've got your car out.

We saw a gritter for the first time at the beginning of the year but never seen one in 34 years

on our road. We have no grit bin either even though we keep asking for one.

We managed to move some snow today but where to put it all is the problem.

Hoping to get the car out on Monday morning without the councils help may I add.

My wife works in a garden centre and has managed to struggle in to work as normal.

However she says the only 4 items that people are currently buying in any quantity to the extent that their stock is running low are

Snow shovels

Bags of grit salt

Sledges

Christmas trees.

At home we have used about 2 gallons of paraffin this last week to heat the greenhouse so I am suprised that paraffin is not in the list.

Brother-in-law just arrived from Nottingham 2 days ago. He said there was 4 inches of snow on the ground when he left.

Good on you Thylacine, after a miserable week in the UK and trying to get home, this reminds me of why I left in the first place.... lol I feel so sorry for the poor folk who have been resident at various airports for days. Yes, we love our Sheffield memories and in 1964/5 we had good fun sledging, making ice slides, etc. (which probably aren´t allowed now under H&S) but now we´re old(er) the memories are better than the reality of UK rules and regs I expect. Sorry to sound bolshie, I have a great affection for all things Sheffield and love enjoying the chat, memories, etc. on this site but not modern day living in the UK as a whole. I was so sorry not to get to Sheffield during my last visit for a look round the past and future.

Removed location of UKL's photo, lets make it a mini Mystery Location

Whoops, dropped a little clanger there. It couldn't be a jpeg of Moss Way could It ? lol lol lol

Love the one of Lodge Moor, plenty of snow on my roof !

HD

Whoops, dropped a little clanger there. It couldn't be a jpeg of Moss Way could It ? lol lol lol

HD

Well I tried

10 points to chief inspector Hilldweller

HD

Beat me to it hilldweller.

Posted images don't appear in quotes as the image like they used to before the site update, just there names.

Trust Stuart to drop himself in it again lol

Good on you Thylacine, after a miserable week in the UK and trying to get home, this reminds me of why I left in the first place.... lol I feel so sorry for the poor folk who have been resident at various airports for days. Yes, we love our Sheffield memories and in 1964/5 we had good fun sledging, making ice slides, etc. (which probably aren´t allowed now under H&S) but now we´re old(er) the memories are better than the reality of UK rules and regs I expect. Sorry to sound bolshie, I have a great affection for all things Sheffield and love enjoying the chat, memories, etc. on this site but not modern day living in the UK as a whole. I was so sorry not to get to Sheffield during my last visit for a look round the past and future.

Yes SuzyC but just look at the beautiful snow scenes, you don't get those in Spain. B)

My brother -in-law lives in Spain but has just put his house up for sale because he

wants to come back to England. He's over here now, I wonder if he's having second

thoughts. :huh:

Yes SuzyC but just look at the beautiful snow scenes, you don't get those in Spain. B)

My brother -in-law lives in Spain but has just put his house up for sale because he

wants to come back to England. He's over here now, I wonder if he's having second

thoughts. :huh:

Hi Ukelele Lady, we do get the snow scenes where we live, not a million miles from the Sierra Nevadas. lol Admittedly the snow doesn´t last as long but we have had at least a couple of days worth for the last 3 years. No snow yet this year so far, except on the mountain tops, just rain at the moment.

wants to come back to England.

I once saw a documentary about British people who had bought property in Spain and having paid out they then had it reposessed by the Spanish Authorites for "redevelopment". Unlike in Britain where this would be done by a compulsory purchase order and the owner would get some financial recompense or rehoused for this inconvenience in Spain there is some fiddle where the owner loses their home and gets practically nothing back at all :o

Is this why he wants to come back to Britain?

Did he ever finish building his house or, like many houses in Spain did it look like a permenant building site? again this situation comes about due to another Spanish fiddle where houses under construction do not pay their equivalent of rates / council tax so people half build houses, enough for it to be permenantly and comfortably habitable but then have an unfinished extension with scaffolding around it. The extension work takes years and they have no intention of ever finishing it because while it remains unfinished they pay no tax.

Wonder what it would be like if Britain operated this system? <_<

I once saw a documentary about British people who had bought property in Spain and having paid out they then had it reposessed by the Spanish Authorites for "redevelopment". Unlike in Britain where this would be done by a compulsory purchase order and the owner would get some financial recompense or rehoused for this inconvenience in Spain there is some fiddle where the owner loses their home and gets practically nothing back at all :o

Is this why he wants to come back to Britain?

No nothing like that , it's a very nice place where he is , didn't have it purposely built

and is not like a building sight.

He has decided he can't stand the heat after 15 years, but like most English ex pats,

when they reach a certain age they start getting a bit home sick. B)

I agree with you about the buying of property abroad, you have to be very very

careful and nothing should be over looked .

He has decided he can't stand the heat after 15 years

So it's a case of "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!" lol

This topic is for us to moan about how COLD it is here.

Turns out that some people in Spain are moaning about how HOT it is there.

lol