Whats it like where you are

Stuart0742

I'd like to say a big thank you to my milk man Ian, not that he will be reading stuff like this

because he'll be busy on the farm.

He usually arrives about 6 30 in the morning , I sometimes pass him on my way out

but this morning he was three quarters of an hour later than usual.

Bless him , he came all the way from Oxspring. I won't forget him at Christmas. :)

well off topic here

Whats new? lol

..and does it matter, :unsure:

You started this topic less than 30 hours ago and it has already generated about 53 posts, - well into its second page.

You have done this at a time when the site has been in "reduced resources mode", which puts people off using it and lowering their moral.

The current weather is also very depressing and you have got them posting and having a bit of a cheer up at the same time.

That's quite an achievement in itself. ;-)

I'd like to say a big thank you to my milk man Ian, not that he will be reading stuff like this

because he'll be busy on the farm.

He usually arrives about 6 30 in the morning , I sometimes pass him on my way out

but this morning he was three quarters of an hour later than usual.

Bless him , he came all the way from Oxspring. I won't forget him at Christmas. :)

We had a rubbish milkman so about 6 years ago we told him where her could shove his milk bottles.

Means that we are now reliant on getting it from the shops ourself, - when they have it.

But if we had the same milkman today I can guarantee that he wouldn't have bothered turning up at all today so we are no worse off.

My son was born Jan 31st 1972, weather was ok, but 1st Feb for a couple of days we had heavy snow. I was in Nether Edge Maternity Hospital and my husband and parents were trying to get over from Beauchief but couldn't get for a couple of days. ;-)

Whats new? lol

..and does it matter, :unsure:

Hey Dave, I once remember you telling me I was going off the subject. So now someones

told you. he he ;-)

My son was born Jan 31st 1972, weather was ok, but 1st Feb for a couple of days we had heavy snow. I was in Nether Edge Maternity Hospital and my husband and parents were trying to get over from Beauchief but couldn't get for a couple of days. ;-)

Yes it did snow heavy in February 1972 but only for a few days.

In fact it passed me buy because I was off school at home ill in bed for those few days with a fever.

That really annoyed me because I was in my final year of CSE / O-level at the time and we were having "mock" exams not long after and I felt i was missing important stuff.

Hey Dave, I once remember you telling me I was going off the subject. So now someones

told you. he he;-)

Yes but whose telling me?

It's only Stuart B)

He usually tells me I am going off topic if he doesn't like what I am saying, if it is too personal (usually about him or myself) or if it is a bit too risque.

I don't think it worries him too much about me going off topic as he has 43 years experience of me doing just that. lol

Back on the subject.

This is how it is near me.

Sorry ukelele lady,

I have just credited Stuart with a successful, moral boosting, high posting topic and in reality the idea of us putting pictures of the snow in our local area on here was yours in the first place.

Most of the "on topic" and really interesting posts are exactly that, picture posts from different members.

Looks like the main credit should have gone to you.

Told to stay at home again today.

Just as well, I don't think either my car or my wifes car are going anywhere in a hurry.

Now somewhere on this site is a topic started by Markbaby called "Remember when we had real snow?" which has pictures of his car buried under snow in (I think) 1978-9 winter.

When I find it I will "Link Fairy" it, but at present the site search facility isn't working :angry:

The answer of course is yes, - you don't need to remember it we have got real snow now.

...and we are only just out of November with a forecast of more to come.

LINK FAIRY LEAPS INTO ACTION

Once the search facility was working again it was fairly easy to find this link

Markbabys snow topic

Back on the subject.

This is how it is near me.

I like the wrought iron gate (photo 01) that appears to lead to nowhere but a wall of snow .. lol

Today I pretended to be a teacher

it snowed so I stopped at home

Grim.

We have a foreign employee working out of London, he has a Danish mobile phone, his bill last month £3,000.

Tried to courier an English (company supplied) mobile from Hexham to London, DHL refusing any business until Monday; offered a local courier five times the going rate (or £100 for something you could post for a fiver) but no deal.

It'll go by post and cost a fiver and they'll pay whoever much for his calls.

Sorry ukelele lady,

I have just credited Stuart with a successful, moral boosting, high posting topic and in reality the idea of us putting pictures of the snow in our local area on here was yours in the first place.

Most of the "on topic" and really interesting posts are exactly that, picture posts from different members.

Looks like the main credit should have gone to you.

Thank you , I will take a bow. lol

I like the wrought iron gate (photo 01) that appears to lead to nowhere but a wall of snow .. lol

Ha , you're right. My car is behind that gate but you can't see it for the snow.

No chance of getting that out tomorrow or the day after. :(

Ha , you're right. My car is behind that gate but you can't see it for the snow.

No chance of getting that out tomorrow or the day after. :(

Its not getting any better

From my bedroom this morning

A bit of quiz name 4 cars in the above photo, choice of 6

A BT Transit does not count

Looks like your neighbours across the street need to spend a bit on loft insulation.

Round our way the roofs have the same depth of snow on them as the walls (currently around 40cm)

It looks as though round your way the snow depth on roofs is less than on walls, indicating perhaps that too much heat is going through the roof and melting it.

Even the snow on my garage roof (which is unheated) is well over a foot (30cm) deep.

Notice though that the snow has slid off the greenhouse due to the paraffin heater maintaining above freezing temperature inside, and even the greenhouse has "bubblewrap" insulation on the inside of the glass at this time of the year, and many of the plants inside are wrapped in insulating fibre.

View from my back window yesterday - spot the snow Daleks!

And up the road this morning

The tracks are all mine as I'm the only vehicle that can move. Have done quite a bit of shopping for the elderly residents, got a neighbour to her Chemotherapy appointment, and towed an ambulance out of trouble today.

Thats the view from my upstairs window

I was once accused by ukelele lady of taking pictures from bedroom windows when I hadn't. lol

Unable to move either car.

Snow on the road is over a foot deep so front bumper of car would be pushing it along anyway.

Bloke across road works in Sainsburys at Crystal Peaks, couldn't get to work because the main road hasn't been ploughed or gritted and nothing is moving,- not even the Supertram from Manor Top to Halfway.

Wife walked to Manor Top to buy provisions.

Managed to get bread but no milk.

Shops can't get deliveries and what they have is selling out fast.

To quote Stuart, "It's not looking good"

Another day off work so what did I do.

Still needed shopping so decided to go to Crystal Peaks.

Both cars still snowed in so walked it to the Supertram stop

Waited ages for the tram, got a dayrider ticket because it works out cheaper. (supposedly, read on)

Tram only got as far as Birley lane and terminated due to a stuck lorry on the track

Walked it back to Gleadless Townend

Got some stuff in White Lane Co-Op (Azena dance hall)

They were taking delivery of bread (late) while we were there, but before that the bread shelves looked like those in a Russian supermarket

They had a very limited amount of milk and were rationing it to 1 bottle (2 litres) per customer

We did finally get some milk

Went to Sainsburys near the snooker hall

Similar situation to the Co-Op

Went for tram home

Another blockage on Norfolk Park was now preventing trams moving into or out of the Gleadless area, so dayrider ticket was useless

Walked it home.

Wife is worried about having to go to work tomorrow

Spent all afternoon digging both cars out of snow, clearing drive and clearing a section of the road of snow.

Road itself had about 40cm of snow, very few cars had been down the road

Piled snow up on verge, on unused area of drive and in front garden, to about 4 to 5 feet high.

Now have a bad back

Wife has a bad elbow and prospects of going to work in the morning.

To quote Stuart again, "It's not looking good"

3 Ariels & 3 Porches