John Watt Sheffield Horseman's Knife?

Guest Ron1073

Guest Ron1073

I found your website and I am hopeful that you can help me identify an old knife that I acquired about 40 years ago. Attached are four photos to help you.

The handle of the knife appears to be a dark bone-like material. There are no chips or cracks in the handle material. The knife, unopened, is 5" long and as you can see, there is one large 3" blade, a small triangular pointed blade, a corkscrew and a small blade with a small cylindrical attachment (can opener?). There is a large hinged hoof pick and three steel tools hidden in the handle at the loop end: a tooth pick (?), a tweezer, and a pair of scissors. There is a lock/unlock tab on the side of the knife to prevent the large blade from closing inadvertently. There is what appears to be a screwdriver on the end opposite the loop. There are two removable screws that go through the knife that doen't seem to be critical to the function of the knife itself. I was once told that these were for use to repair harness, if necessary.

The only markings on the knife are on the "regular" blade" and the can opener blade, which are both stamped, "John Watts", "Sheffield", and "EST 1765" in three lines at the base of the blades. The loop on the end of the knife and the hinge apparatus for the hoof pick appear to be silver or some non-rusting type of metal. Any information as to the original use of this knife, its value, and its approximate age would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

I found your website and I am hopeful that you can help me identify an old knife that I acquired about 40 years ago. Attached are four photos to help you.

The handle of the knife appears to be a dark bone-like material. There are no chips or cracks in the handle material. The knife, unopened, is 5" long and as you can see, there is one large 3" blade, a small triangular pointed blade, a corkscrew and a small blade with a small cylindrical attachment (can opener?). There is a large hinged hoof pick and three steel tools hidden in the handle at the loop end: a tooth pick (?), a tweezer, and a pair of scissors. There is a lock/unlock tab on the side of the knife to prevent the large blade from closing inadvertently. There is what appears to be a screwdriver on the end opposite the loop. There are two removable screws that go through the knife that doen't seem to be critical to the function of the knife itself. I was once told that these were for use to repair harness, if necessary.

The only markings on the knife are on the "regular" blade" and the can opener blade, which are both stamped, "John Watts", "Sheffield", and "EST 1765" in three lines at the base of the blades. The loop on the end of the knife and the hinge apparatus for the hoof pick appear to be silver or some non-rusting type of metal. Any information as to the original use of this knife, its value, and its approximate age would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the site Ron; nothing to do with your questions, but, John Watts were based at Lambert Street, behind the Police Station. Building still there, company moved on.

Many details on this site; a Link Fairie task, methinks (watch this space).

I think it is what (when I was young and in the scouts) was called a "Jack Knife."

A multipurpose knife that hung from our belts.

They ranged from just a couple of blades up to the multi-bladed type that you have.

PS - Richard. - the forum search isn't working again. I'll have a look when things are running properly