32nd Sheffield Scouts

Stuart0742

Received this by email, can anybody help,

Hi.

I'm a Scout Leader at 32nd Sheffield (1st Stocksbridge) Scout Group,

and I was wondering whether you have any information on our group's

history.

We're currently trying to determine the date our group was founded.

According to a post on Sheffield History, it was 1912, but we have a

document that claims there was a Scout Group going in Stocksbridge in

1911. We are very intrigued to find an exact year for when our group

was founded. For the evidence, we would need either:

32nd SHEFFIELD

or

1st STOCKSBRIDGE

to be found

Can you shed any light on this?

Many thanks,

Received this by email, can anybody help,

Hi.

I'm a Scout Leader at 32nd Sheffield (1st Stocksbridge) Scout Group,

and I was wondering whether you have any information on our group's

history.

We're currently trying to determine the date our group was founded.

According to a post on Sheffield History, it was 1912, but we have a

document that claims there was a Scout Group going in Stocksbridge in

1911. We are very intrigued to find an exact year for when our group

was founded. For the evidence, we would need either:

32nd SHEFFIELD

or

1st STOCKSBRIDGE

to be found

Can you shed any light on this?

Many thanks,

That sounds like a perfect job for mike142sl.

He has an excellent knowledge of the Scout movement locally.

That sounds like a perfect job for mike142sl.

He has an excellent knowledge of the Scout movement locally.

Horses for Courses,

I'd like to see the 1911 document, might gives us "Scout novices" something to look out for (Councillors name, Scout Group leaders, locations etc).

The info I have from the vaults are:

32nd Stocksbridge was registered on 13th Aug 1912 and had a Navy Blue & Yellow knecker. Closed in 1921

It will have been the 32nd Sheffield (Stocksbridge) then. There are details of the 1st Stocksbridge but no dates I'm afraid, although that name will have been taken after 1921.

There may be details of leaders in the scout HQ dungeon, some files had more in than others but If you are after a bit of history of your group it's a good place to go. The manager is David Worth, give him a call and see if it would be convenient to have a delve through.

32nd Stocksbridge was registered on 13th Aug 1912 and had a Navy Blue & Yellow knecker. Closed in 1921

It will have been the 32nd Sheffield (Stocksbridge) then. There are details of the 1st Stocksbridge but no dates I'm afraid, although that name will have been taken after 1921.

There may be details of leaders in the scout HQ dungeon, some files had more in than others but If you are after a bit of history of your group it's a good place to go. The manager is David Worth, give him a call and see if it would be convenient to have a delve through.

A general question :

If a Scout Group was registered on 13th August 1912 (as per this example) would they have been in existence before that date ? Still pondering on the 1911 document, was that discussions etc about setting up the 32nd ?

Thanks.

A general question :

If a Scout Group was registered on 13th August 1912 (as per this example) would they have been in existence before that date ? Still pondering on the 1911 document, was that discussions etc about setting up the 32nd ?

Thanks.

It's quite possible. Many groups started scouting before registering formally in the early years. The files in the dungeons af Trippet La have all sorts of info in, including warrant applications of the leaders and sometimes annual reports - it would be a good place to start.

There is one group called 22nd Christ Church tha interested me as it might be a predecesor of our group - unfortunately the file is empty so there is no way of knowing which Christ Church it was/is.

Guest Dave W

Well the info I have is attached and which was written in 1925 and also some other info written and checked by Brook Stanley in 1951. Everything I have seen says the necker was Royal Blue with a black edge.

DaveW

Guest Dave W

Well the info I have is attached and which was written in 1925 and also some other info written and checked by Brook Stanley in 1951. Everything I have seen says the necker was Royal Blue with a black edge.

DaveW

Sorry the attachment did not work the first time!

Sorry the attachment did not work the first time!

That's the sort of document I found in the basement of Trippet Lane. Unfortunately this one you have just confuses matters by stating first that the 32nd started in 1916, then a few sentances later that it started in 1911?

I think you need to get down to Trippet Lane? Not uncommon for neckers to change colour, ours was different until 1949 but no indication why it changed.

That's the sort of document I found in the basement of Trippet Lane. Unfortunately this one you have just confuses matters by stating first that the 32nd started in 1916, then a few sentances later that it started in 1911?

I think you need to get down to Trippet Lane? Not uncommon for neckers to change colour, ours was different until 1949 but no indication why it changed.

Reading other documents, the troop had a rather rocky start, almost closing a number of times. After Brooke Stanley left for Australia their HQ at Langley Brook became un-usable and while they were looking for another place the numbers fell. They moved to the other end of the village to another HQ in 1915 /16 and I guess that is when they lost the name of Langley Brook Scouts. Also at this time the Scout Leader had been turned down on medical grounds to join the army and had moved out of the District to work on a farm to improve his health. Shortly afterwards another leader came forward and the scouts started building up again. Once again in 1924 all the scout groups in the Stocksbridge were on the verge of going under, and they amalgamated under one banner.

The only thing that mystifies me is the change of the Necker, the list shows Navy Blue & Yellow and yet in 1931 when the 1st Stocksbridge was reformed by Jimmy Horton and others, there is a definite reference to them wearing the “Blue and Black”.