Baby, It's Cold Outside

hilldweller

The temperature in the back garden of Hilldweller Towers at 7 am this morning was minus 7.7 degrees Celsius !

The thermometer is a calibrated industrial type instrument with a remote sensor mounted about a metre above the garden.

I've just had a look at the website of a weather station located in the Norton Lees area and they recorded a minimum temp of minus 7.8 degrees overnight.

With temperatures like these so early in the winter can we "look forward" to skating on the Don in January ?

For anyone interested the Sheffield Weather website has a live display and can be found at:- sheffieldweather.co.uk

HD

The temperature in the back garden of Hilldweller Towers at 7 am this morning was minus 7.7 degrees Celsius !

The thermometer is a calibrated industrial type instrument with a remote sensor mounted about a metre above the garden.

HD

Now you should live at lower altitudes hilldweller where the temperature is slightly higher.

Due to the adiabatic lapse rate the atmospheric temperature drops with altitude, about 1 degree for every 300 feet, close to the Earths surface.

I've just had a look at the website of a weather station located in the Norton Lees area and they recorded a minimum temp of minus 7.8 degrees overnight.

HD

I seem to remember (mainly because I had to drive a motorbike to work in it) that in January 1982 the temperature in Sheffield dropped to a record minus 20 :o

Or, as The Star had it in its headline "Sheffield is colder than the south pole", - forgetting of course that January is the height of summer in the southern hemisphere.

Having said that, minus 8 is probably a record low temperature for November.

BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

Many versions of this old classic

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside

I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside

This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in

So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice

My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry

My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar

So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry

Well maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there

Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there

I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight

To break the spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move closer

At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride?

I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out

Ahh, but it's cold outside

C'mon baby

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside

The answer is no - Ooh darling, it's cold outside

This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in

So nice and warm - Look out the window at that storm

My sister will be suspicious - Man, your lips look delicious

My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore

My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips are delicious

Well maybe just a half a drink more - Never such a blizzard before

I've got to go home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there

Say, lend me your coat - It's up to your knees out there

You've really been grand - I thrill when you touch my hand

But don't you see - How can you do this thing to me?

There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Think of my life long sorrow

At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died

I really can't stay - Get over that hold out

Ahh, but it's cold outside

Baby it's cold outside

Brr its cold.

It's cold out there

Cant you stay awhile longer baby

Well..I really shouldn't...alright

Make it worth your while baby

Ahh, do that again.

But when Deano (Dean Martin) sang it....

I really can't stay

(but baby it's cold outside)

I've got to go away

This evening has been

(been hoping that you'd drop in)

So very nice

(i'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)

My mother will start worry

(beautiful whats your hurry)

My father will be pacing the floor

(listen to the fireplace roar)

So really i'd better scurry

(beautiful please don't hurry)

but maybe just a half a drink more

(put some records on while i pour)

the neighbors might faint

(baby it's bad out there)

say what's in this drink

(no cabs to be had out there)

i wish i knew how

(your eyes are like starlight now)

to break this spell

(i'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)

i ought to say "no, no, no sir"

(mind if i move in closer)

at least i'm gonna say that i tried

(what's the sense in hurtin' my pride)

i really can't stay

(oh baby don't hold out)

both:baby it's cold out side

i simply must go

the answer is no

your welcome has been

(how lucky that you droped in)

so nice and warm

(look out the window at that storm)

my sister will be suspicious

(gosh your lips look delcious)

my brother will be there at the door

(waves upon the tropical shore)

my maiden aunts mind is vicious

(gosh your lips are delicous)

but maybe just a cigarette more

(never such a blizzard before)

i've gotta get home

(but baby you'd freeze out there)

say lend me a coat

(it's up to your knees out there)

you've really been grand

(i thrill when you touch my hand)

but don't you see?

(how can you do this thing to me?)

there's bound to be talk tomorrow

(think of my lifelong sorrow)

at least there will be plenty implied

(if you got namonia and died)

i really can't stay

(get over that old out)

both:baby it's cold

baby it's cold outside

Tomorrow morning Wallsend to Hexham then return journey tomorrow night, wish me well.

Hope the "greener than that, taller, more-doors-mobile" makes it

Here ends the report from The Frozen North ...

Tomorrow morning Wallsend to Hexham then return journey tomorrow night, wish me well.

Hope the "greener than that, taller, more-doors-mobile" makes it

Here ends the report from The Frozen North ...

Made it, hardest part was getting off the driveway and the 100 yards to the main Road - where the busses have carved up the snow, the rest of it was main roads/A69 - got here in the time it usually takes me !?! - slower on the A69, but, no snags anywhere and early enough to not hit any School stuff/or the usual morning traffic jams.

Just waiting for them to shut the office down now ...

Made it, hardest part was getting off the driveway and the 100 yards to the main Road - where the busses have carved up the snow, the rest of it was main roads/A69 - got here in the time it usually takes me !?! - slower on the A69, but, no snags anywhere and early enough to not hit any School stuff/or the usual morning traffic jams.

Just waiting for them to shut the office down now ...

But it was snowing Richard,

I bet they had already closed all the schools and given the kids a day off lol

I seem to remember (mainly because I had to drive a motorbike to work in it) that in January 1982 the temperature in Sheffield dropped to a record minus 20 :o

Or, as The Star had it in its headline "Sheffield is colder than the south pole", - forgetting of course that January is the height of summer in the southern hemisphere.

Having said that, minus 8 is probably a record low temperature for November.

According to tonights weater forcast parts of western Scotland have already had -20 and even -22 last night, - and it is set to get even colder.

Even down here in Sheffield temperatures are set to plummet over the weekend so we could see negative double figures yet, - certainly -9 has already been forcast for Friday night.

According to tonights weater forcast parts of western Scotland have already had -20 and even -22 last night, - and it is set to get even colder.

Even down here in Sheffield temperatures are set to plummet over the weekend so we could see negative double figures yet, - certainly -9 has already been forcast for Friday night.

Went back to work today after being snowed off for 4 days last week.

Fortunately the council were able to get a snow plough onto the school premises over the weekend and clear a route to the school.

However, when I got in my car this morning the built in digital thermometer that records the external air temperature and warns of possible icy roads was already reading -6degC.

Once driving through Derbyshire this quickly fell to a minimum of -14degC :blink:

Then there was coming home around 4pm. Again it was -6degC before I even set off

Driving back along the same roads it now drops off to a minimum of -8degC, - and it was still light and sunny :o

At least this time, unlike in 1982, I was sat in a car with an effective heating system and not sat frozen stiff on a motorbike B)

First in at worl today, however, no keys, sat in the cas 25 minutes (reading a newspaper) so frozen when I got in. Heating system working, someone in over the weekend to make that happen, however, it broke down again; our room (independent of the main supply) fine, but, main part of building cold, cold, cold - reached 9 degrees by mid-afternoon.

First in at worl today, however, no keys, sat in the cas 25 minutes (reading a newspaper) so frozen when I got in. Heating system working, someone in over the weekend to make that happen, however, it broke down again; our room (independent of the main supply) fine, but, main part of building cold, cold, cold - reached 9 degrees by mid-afternoon.

global warming

Went down to -14degC on way to work again today, even though it was only -3.5 when I set off.

I came home by a different route on the M1 rather than through Chesterfield to try and save time. It was only -1.5degC when I set off but it still dropped to -7 in ECkington on the way home, - and that was just at sunset.

My room at work was also freezing this morning and there was water on the floor from a leaking radiator.

Fortunately my classroom is a chemistry laboratory and I could quickly warm the room up with a few Bunsen burners.

Other classrooms suffered a similar loss of heating, but being standard classrooms they could not warm themselves up so easily.

Seems to be warming up a bit if you can call it that.

On the same drive today the maximum temperature was 0degC but the minimum was only -2

When I got out of my car at work into the -1degC air it felt really mild and warm compared to the -13 or so of the previous 2 days.

Now -1 would normally feel really cold.

I suppose temperature and how it feels is all relative and that we fairly quickly acclimatise to whatever ambient temperature we are forced to deal with.

Positive temperatures today, - first time for nearly a fortnight!

Perhaps its not so cold outside now.

But it is only December and winter is still young.

Wonder what January and February will bring <_<

My essay on a trip to England in the year of our Lord 2010.

I came over with the intent of visiting my well remembered Sheffield haunts, however, after landing at Robin Hood on 26th and making my way to Auntie´s in Retford, woke up to 6 ins of snow on Saturday, so staggered down into town and first stop was to buy wellies, none of the pavements in town had been cleared or gritted (all the shops here sweep and mop the pavement in front of their store every day). As you know, there was snow and freezing temperatures all week, spent my time wading back and to to town for shopping and frankly just to get out of the house, not used to sitting about. We had planned to go to Sheffield, Lincoln and Doncaster but no chance of that. Glad I hadn´t hired a car as it would just have been stuck up the lane.

I was due to fly back the following Friday 3rd but of course Doncaster was closed, so was told to make my own way to East Midlands (Thompsons said they would reimburse me 50 pounds for taxi - we´ll see hmm). Sat around from 6 pm to 9.30 pm when they announced no flight but would bus us to the Hilton for the night, with promise of flight out at 9 am in the morning. Was snowing again, quite heavily, so I was quite relieved not to be taking off in it. Finally reached the Hilton at 1.30 a.m.but had to get up at 5 a.m. to report to East Midlands for 6 a.m. More sitting about, until we were told at 12 noon we were being bussed back to Doncaster as flight was cancelled (given letter to say this and how to claim). Most people were on package holidays so Thompson person was a bit nonplussed when 3 or 4 of us said we were trying to get home. Returned to Robin Hood (no snow cleared on roads or car park) and managed to hitch a lift back to Bawtry with the bus driver, where I got a taxi back to Margaret´s. Phoned Thompsons to get next available flight, told problem was I was only going one way and they would have to de-allocate a return package, had to phone back on the Monday. Did this and got flight confirmed for Tuesday 7th Dec. Taxi to Doncaster for 4 am check in (I have to add finding a willing taxi driver for this time in the morning was very difficult too). Arrived at Doncaster and saw all the old, familar faces from previous failed flights. Kept waiting until lunch time, then bussed to Manchester, where (I´m sorry to say) we finally reached civilisation and caught a 757 back to Malaga. In a day I went from 17 deg below to 17 deg above, so was boiling when I got home, stripping fleeces, coats, scarves, etc. The only good thing I can say about the experience was that I was accompanied by, on the whole, happy Yorkshire folk, in fact the air crew on the flight home thanked us for our good humour and said they would never experience that on a Gatwick flight (with half hearted apologies to any Southerners on the flight!).

I was so sorry not to make it back to Sheffield, as was so looking forward to mooching about. Will be going to Alaska next year, as they can cope with snow.

Will be going to Alaska next year, as they can cope with snow.

I'm not so sure they can cope with the snow.

Or the very extended period of darkness when the sun doesn't rise at extreme northern lattitudes.

Countries like Alaska, northern Canada, northern Scandinavia, Siberia and northern Russia have serious problems with people sitting the winter out drinking excessively leading to high levels of alcoholism. This is usually countered (in Scandinavia at least) by high levels of taxation on alcohol to discourage people from drinking themselves to death.

If you like a drink these countries, even in the summer, are not good holiday destinations unless you are happy to pay the equivalent of around £6 for a glass of beer.

They also suffer medical problems created by SAD (Seasonally Affective Dissorder) often leading to depression, mental problems and suicides.

Why not stay in Spain in the winter Suzy, where the weather is usually favourable, and visit Britain in the summer when we are more likely (but not guaranteed) to have better weather.

Here we go again.

Cold Arctic air moves down over the weekend just before Christmas.

Day time temperature NEVER went above freezing, in fact where I was in Derbyshire it was was -4degC at the warmest

Overnight temperature went down to -14, had to drive to work with car thermometer saying -11degC

..and this Siberian set of temperatures is set to last for over a week.

That will cost the Government a fortune in cold weather heating payments.

..and I'm glad my car is petrol and not Diesel, - don't fancy getting up in the morning to find it won't start because the fuel has froze solid in the tank :o

Here we go again.

Cold Arctic air moves down over the weekend just before Christmas.

Day time temperature NEVER went above freezing, in fact where I was in Derbyshire it was was -4degC at the warmest

Overnight temperature went down to -14, had to drive to work with car thermometer saying -11degC

..and this Siberian set of temperatures is set to last for over a week.

That will cost the Government a fortune in cold weather heating payments.

..and I'm glad my car is petrol and not Diesel, - don't fancy getting up in the morning to find it won't start because the fuel has froze solid in the tank :o

You and me both this morning Dave.

I've never known my morning to be so cold.

At 6.30am it said -10 in my car after I had finally de-iced it.

But let's face it we can get about, it's better than being snowed in.

That's unless your water pipes freeze up :o