Wuthering Depths

RichardB

There used to be some small houses at Broomhill, just up from the lights, heading up the hill to Crookes, on yer right hand side. One of these had a sign above the door for years "Wuthering Depths", last time I was in Sheffield it was a tiny car park and the old, small house was gone. Anyone with a picture please ? or any idea about the age of this house, or why it was pulled down and the others were not ?

Guest coffee cup

I remember seeing this when I lived at crookes, and having a smile to my self as I passed it on the bus.

I'd always assumed it was rented to students, and they had put it up above the door as a bit of a joke (for the way people assume they live)

he he

This is now.

Judging by the fact that both Gables have been completely rebuilt I suppose the others in the terrace must have been in a pretty poor state. They are evidently owned by the same person judging by the alarm systems, roof, doors etc. I don't know why, but I used to assume that the owner of no's 36 and 38 had had the lower house demolished to make himself a parking space.

There used to be another sign (possibly on the gable facing you as you come up hill) which said something to the effect that the piece of land at the side of the garages belonged to the house above so don't park on it.