Derwent Village

AdrianM

As far as I know it was the case that the spire could be seen at low water, but then demolition work was carried out and it no longer is.

Only about 10 or 15ft of the church spire was under water, and that's when ladybower was at its maximum,

I put a picture on here a few weeks ago, i've marked on where the high water mark would be.

Now if the church spire was in Ashopton, then probably, yes the spire would be covered.

Where did the story about Derwent church spire being completely under water, and when the water level dropped you could see the spire poking out, come from? it would be impossible for the whole of the spire to be under water, ladybower dam would have to be three times its height. :blink: I can remember at school, one of the teachers even saying it about the church under the water :wacko:

My father in-law worked on the dams , he told us they had to demolish the tower to stop people jumping in and swimming towards it.

It sounds like there were some contest going on between the locals.

My father in-law worked on the dams , he told us they had to demolish the tower to stop people jumping in and swimming towards it.

It sounds like there were some contest going on between the locals.

I suppose it would be a tempting thing to do, or have a boat ride around the church tower lol .

Its the stories i've heard about the entire church tower/spire been under water which i find strange, apart from it been impossible

I suppose it would be a tempting thing to do, or have a boat ride around the church tower lol .

Its the stories i've heard about the entire church tower/spire been under water which i find strange, apart from it been impossible

Someone actually swam out and climbed the tower on 1947 before it was demolish. [ Show-off ]

Someone actually swam out and climbed the tower on 1947 before it was demolish. [ Show-off ]

That would have made a good picture, at least one thing, if they fell off climbing the church tower they wouldn't get hurt

lol

The last service at St John and St James Derwent was held on Wednesday 17th March 1943, almost immediately afterwards the work of demolition began. Frecheville, Sheffield, then a housing development site and in Derbyshire was to have a parish church as soon as building became possible after the war. The organ from Derwent, made by a Sheffield firm, as well as the chalice, went to Frecheville. The church bells finished up at St John's, the parish church of Chelmorton. W/E. [ Courtesy Moorland Heritage by James S Byford. Photo Mr A Taylor]