70Th Anniversary Of The Sheffield Blitz

Guest SheffieldArchives

Guest SheffieldArchives

Hello all,

As you will know December 2010 is the 70th anniversary of the Blitz over Sheffield. Our collections are full of fascinating documents and photographs recounting those deadly December nights. In addition to the images on our Flickr page: Operation Crucible: the Sheffield Blitz we have organised a series of free events to mark the anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz:

‘Operation Crucible’: an exhibition of photographs and documents1 – 31 December 2010

Central Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield, S1 1XZ

Archive Workshop - opening up Sheffield's secret war files and documents Session includes a talk on how the Second World War impacted on Sheffield culminating in the devastating Blitz on the city in December 1940. Sheffield’s story will be told through the use of rare and unseen archives, with a chance to look at the original ‘secret’ files and papers during the workshop.

Monday 6 December 2010, 6:30pm

Former Local Studies Library, First Floor, Central Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield, S1 1XZ

Sheffield’s Date with Hitler – a talk by Neil AndersonStories and eye-witness accounts from the nights the bombs dropped over Sheffield. Neil Anderson has pulled together a number of fascinating first hand accounts in his new book about the Sheffield Blitz. There will be an opportunity to buy autographed copies of the book on the night.

Wednesday 8 December 2010, 6:30pm

Former Local Studies Library, First Floor, Central Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield, S1 1XZ

The Sheffield Blitz – a talk by Suzanne BinghamOn the anniversary of the first bombing raid on Sheffield 70 years ago to the day, Suzanne Bingham presents a talk on the Blitz in Sheffield.

Monday 13 December 2010, 6:30pm

Looking after your family papers and World War Two documentsTuesday 14 December 2010, 2:15pm

Crystal Peaks Library, 1-3 Peak Square, Crystal Peaks Complex, Waterthorpe, Sheffield, S20 7PH

Booking for this event at Crystal Peaks Library: 0114 293 0612

Object handling session – artefacts from the Sheffield BlitzThis week marks 70 years since the Sheffield Blitz. Join Clara Morgan (Curator of Social History) and staff from the Conservation Unit at Sheffield Archives for a rare chance to handle objects from the muse. This will also be an opportunity for getting advice on looking after your own wartime documents.

Tuesday 14 December 2010 (note there are 3 sessions during the day: 10:30am – 11:30am, 12noon – 1pm and 2pm – 3pm)

Looking after your family papers and World War Two documentsWartime refreshments will be served at this event!

Monday 20 December 2010, 6:30pm

To book a place on any of these free events simply call or email Sheffield Archives:

Tel. 0114 203 9395, e-mail: archives@sheffield.gov.uk

For more information on these events see: Event Sheffield (search for 'Blitz')

Hope to see you at one of these events!

Cheryl

As a child i remember my parents and Grandparents had a book printed by the Sheffield Telegraph i think called Sheffield at War.It was full of the pictures taken in Sheffield after the nights of the Blitz.It also had a pull out map in the center which marked where every bomb had fallen in Sheffield .Unfortunately both our family copies have vanished over time and i wondered if it was still possible to get hold of copies or has it never been printed since.Will the Star or Sheffield Telegraph be printing anything for the 70th anniversary?Many Thanks Skala

As a child i remember my parents and Grandparents had a book printed by the Sheffield Telegraph i think called Sheffield at War.It was full of the pictures taken in Sheffield after the nights of the Blitz.It also had a pull out map in the center which marked where every bomb had fallen in Sheffield .Unfortunately both our family copies have vanished over time and i wondered if it was still possible to get hold of copies or has it never been printed since.Will the Star or Sheffield Telegraph be printing anything for the 70th anniversary?Many Thanks Skala

Hi skala,

is this the book 'Sheffield at War 1939 - 1945'.?

if so original copies occasionally show up on ebay.

Not to be confused with 'Sheffield At War A Pictorial Account 1939 - 45'

that was published at the later date of 1987.

Hi skala,

is this the book 'Sheffield at War 1939 - 1945'.?

if so original copies occasionally show up on ebay.

Not to be confused with 'Sheffield At War A Pictorial Account 1939 - 45'

that was published at the later date of 1987.

Second thoughts,

'Sheffield At War A Pictorial Account 1939 - 45'

By Clive Hardy (1987), ISBN 0-948946-09-1

is a more recent version of the book named 'Sheffield at War'

and contains more local photographs than my pre mentioned,

'Sheffield at War 1939 - 1945'

Sorry for the confusion.

and contains more local photographs than my pre mentioned,

'Sheffield at War 1939 - 1945'

Someone once told me while discussing the way in which CD's had replaced records that -

"There is more sixties music around now than there was in the sixties"

It would appear from your comments here Steve that -

"There are more Blitz photos around now than there were in the Blitz"

I suppose since the Blitz they have had more access to private archives and collections of photos taken by other organisations.

... or is it just that many photos of Blitz damage were "censored" at the time, not released or put under an XX-year secrecy order?

Reminder , Tonight - BBC 1 - 7.30PM - Sheffield Blitz

Programme to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz.

Mine says Question of Sport ?

BBC1, 7.30 ??

Watched it, good programme.

Much better than Christa Ackroyds cock up last weekend on Look Leeds

Much better than A Question of Sport.

Some interesting old movie footage of Blitz damage and some classic Blitz images with some very clever merging of "then and now" views into a sort of composite view.

They talked to "real Sheffielders", some of which were clearly real characters as well who had survived this ordeal and were fortunately still with us to tell the tale.

Enjoyed this show, well presented and better than the average.

Watched it, good programme.

Much better than Christa Ackroyds cock up last weekend on Look Leeds

Much better than A Question of Sport.

Some interesting old movie footage of Blitz damage and some classic Blitz images with some very clever merging of "then and now" views into a sort of composite view.

They talked to "real Sheffielders", some of which were clearly real characters as well who had survived this ordeal and were fortunately still with us to tell the tale.

Enjoyed this show, well presented and better than the average.

One niggle, not unique to this programme thought.

When they are discussing the Vickers Supermarine Spitfire (in this in relation to the manufacture of its engine crankshaft in Sheffield) WHY do they show archive footage of Hawker Hurricanes in flight!!!????

Nobody seems to notice these little fau pas these days, but there was a time, not so long ago, when every schoolboy would instantly recognise the difference between these 2 iconic aircraft. They were after all, the planes that saved Britain from Nazi occupation.

Unfortunately getting it wrong in a documentary programme gives misinformation and creates the wrong idea as a "truth" to people too young to remember.

They will be painting trams in funny colours next and trying to get people believing that it is a genuine 1960's Sheffield transport livery. :angry:

Do we know any of the people interviewed or who presented this programme?

Are any of them members of Sheffield History?

Just like Ron Clayton most of them would make good posting members if we could encourage them to.

The man who spoke about navigating by radio beams and interfering with the signals with a map of Britain and pivoted black beam lines was an old friend of mine from Sheffield Steam club called Mike Diprose. He works in Sheffield University department of Engineering and is quite an expert on WW2 aircraft and their technical details.

He once did us an illustrated lecture on a mechanical computer used in the 1940's to guide a Bofors anti aircraft gun onto an aircraft target and hit it regardless of its height, speed or range.

He has also completely rebuilt an aircraft engine taken from a plane which crashed in Scotland in 1944.

A clever guy, - just the right man to be talking about radio beam navigation.

The man who spoke about navigating by radio beams and interfering with the signals with a map of Britain and pivoted black beam lines was an old friend of mine from Sheffield Steam club called Mike Diprose. He works in Sheffield University department of Engineering and is quite an expert on WW2 aircraft and their technical details.

He once did us an illustrated lecture on a mechanical computer used in the 1940's to guide a Bofors anti aircraft gun onto an aircraft target and hit it regardless of its height, speed or range.

He has also completely rebuilt an aircraft engine taken from a plane which crashed in Scotland in 1944.

A clever guy, - just the right man to be talking about radio beam navigation.

Sounds like a man that could have a wealth of information that would be of interest.

Posted this in the other thread but currently also available on BBC i-player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wmc3n/Sheffield_The_Forgotten_Blitz/

Just like Ron Clayton most of them would make good posting members if we could encourage them to.

Do you know Ron?

Ron + PC :blink:

Sounds like a man that could have a wealth of information that would be of interest.

Yep!

I know a fair few people like that but like all clever people they have very diverse interests all of which take up a lot of time.

It's encouraging people like that to join us on here as often they are so busy and tied up in other interested that prevents them from doing so.

Unfortunately there are only 24 hours in a day and they are soon filled if you have an active lifestyle.

Do you know Ron?

Ron + PC :blink:

No, I had never heard of him until I saw him on TV talking about the Sheffield Blitz on the news and advertising his walking tour of the Sheffield Blitz last weekend.

No, I had never heard of him until I saw him on TV talking about the Sheffield Blitz on the news and advertising his walking tour of the Sheffield Blitz last weekend.

There you go Dave!

http://nwsheffield.o...re-ron-clayton/

and these are his books

http://www.printanddesignshop.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ron+Clayton&x=0&y=0

found this whilst looking for something else.

Name: TINGLE, KATE

Initials: K

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Date of Death: 13/12/1940

Additional information: of 98 Cobden View Road. Widow of H. Tingle. Died at 98 Cobden View Road.

Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: SHEFFIELD, COUNTY BOROUGH

Was this as a result of a bomb ? - The houses are obviously newer than the surrounding ones and the date is right

I've got a copy of the bomb map but it's not shown.

Google Streetview