Families From Bradfield/penistone/bolsterstones

Guest dialhouse

Guest dialhouse

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a photo album from a local auction house, as it is my hobby, to try and trace living relatives and return their property to their rightfull families. However I am at a loss as to trace the family of this album as it is nearly all based on surnames and no first names. I do know that the album belonged to Mr Wilfred Fawdington Stanley, born in Wortley in 1874 and I have managed to do most of the Stanley family tree. The only problem is, there is only about six pictures of the Stanley family and around 150 other pictures ,who were just friends and neighbours. It is therefore my intention to list as many of the familes in the order they appear in the album as I can and if you think you are related to them, email me at cdhewick@aol.com and I will scan the photos and send them to you. Here Goes:

SPENCER STANLEY (SON OF WILRFED STANLEY), MR THORNHILL THE VICAR, MR WARD, FRANCES STANLEY (SISTER OF WILFRED STANLEY), SPENCER STANLEY (BROTHER OF WILFRED STANLEY) , MISS FAWDINGTON (OLD SPINSTER AND DONATOR OFWILFREDS MIDDLE NAME), MISS STANLEY, MRS STANLEY OF SHEEPHOUSE, MRS WARD, MR JOHN STANLEY, MRS MARSDEN, MR WEBSTER, MRS WEBSTER, MISS M.E.ELLIS, MISS H E ELLIS, MRS BURFORD, NELLIE BURFORD, MR J? BURFORD, MRS J? BURFORD, MISS MAY E ELLIS, MR J? ELLIS, EDITH V AGNES MOORE(CHILD, PENISTONE), MRS C MARSH, MISS S JANE MARSH, MISS CLARA BROOKS (WIFE OF ARTHUR STANLEY, SHE DIED IN CHILBIRTH) MRS F? MARSDEN, MISS E LAWTON (OF MIDHOPESTONES), MR & MRS ARMATAGE, MR HAWE?, MISS E BROADHEAD, MISS BUCKLEY, MISS HOYLAND (OF SHEFFIELD) MISS BROADHEAD, MISS WOOLFE?, MISS LEE, MISS M J? LAWTON, JONNY MOOREHOUSE, MRS MOOREHOUSE, MRS B SILVERWOOD, MISS LAWTON(OF ALDERMANSHEAD), MR TAYLOR, MRS TAYLOR (WITH CHILD), MR H WARD, MISS MARY PULLING, MISS SARAH ANN PULLING, MISS ELLIS, MISS ALMOND/ARMOND OR AMOND, LITTLE WILIE BURFORD & AUNT AMY, MR WEBSTER IN CHURCH ATTIRE (VICAR?), WILLIE HENRY BURFORD, POLLY BURFORD, CAPTAIN JESSHOP, MR JESSHOP, MR JESSHOP, MR G JESSHOP, MRS WOOD (OF GUNTHWAITE GATE) MISS HOLMES, MRS JAMES WOOD / WARD?, MR FRED WARD, MISS HOLMES (OF DENBY DALE), MR HOLMES (CHILD), MR AND MRS HOLMES (OF DALE MILL), MISS E. CHAPPEL, MRS SYKES, JOSEPH JAGGER (OF THORNSETT LODGE, BRADFIELD), MR JAMES TAYLOR, ALICE MATE, MR AND MRS WEBSTER, SARAH CRAWSHAW, MRS JOSEPH CRAWSHAW, AMAND OR ARNAND R CRAWSHAW (OF LANGLEY BROOK), THOMSON & HANNAH, EDITH R STANLEY, JONATHAN CRAWSHAW (OF WOODSEATS).

SPENCER STANLEY (SON OF WILRFED STANLEY),

MR THORNHILL THE VICAR,

MR WARD, FRANCES STANLEY (SISTER OF WILFRED STANLEY),

SPENCER STANLEY (BROTHER OF WILFRED STANLEY) ,

MISS FAWDINGTON (OLD SPINSTER AND DONATOR OF WILFREDS MIDDLE NAME),

MISS STANLEY,

MRS STANLEY OF SHEEPHOUSE,

MRS WARD,

MR JOHN STANLEY,

MRS MARSDEN,

MR WEBSTER,

MRS WEBSTER,

MISS M.E.ELLIS,

MISS H E ELLIS,

MRS BURFORD,

NELLIE BURFORD,

MR J? BURFORD,

MRS J? BURFORD,

MISS MAY E ELLIS,

MR J? ELLIS,

EDITH V AGNES MOORE(CHILD, PENISTONE),

MRS C MARSH,

MISS S JANE MARSH,

MISS CLARA BROOKS (WIFE OF ARTHUR STANLEY, SHE DIED IN CHILBIRTH)

MRS F? MARSDEN,

MISS E LAWTON (OF MIDHOPESTONES),

MR & MRS ARMATAGE,

MR HAWE?,

MISS E BROADHEAD,

MISS BUCKLEY,

MISS HOYLAND (OF SHEFFIELD)

MISS BROADHEAD,

MISS WOOLFE?,

MISS LEE,

MISS M J? LAWTON,

JONNY MOOREHOUSE,

MRS MOOREHOUSE,

MRS B SILVERWOOD,

MISS LAWTON(OF ALDERMANSHEAD),

MR TAYLOR, MRS TAYLOR (WITH CHILD),

MR H WARD,

MISS MARY PULLING,

MISS SARAH ANN PULLING,

MISS ELLIS,

MISS ALMOND/ARMOND OR AMOND,

LITTLE WILIE BURFORD & AUNT AMY,

MR WEBSTER IN CHURCH ATTIRE (VICAR?),

WILLIE HENRY BURFORD, POLLY BURFORD,

CAPTAIN JESSHOP,

MR JESSHOP,

MR JESSHOP,

MR G JESSHOP,

MRS WOOD (OF GUNTHWAITE GATE)

MISS HOLMES,

MRS JAMES WOOD / WARD?,

MR FRED WARD,

MISS HOLMES (OF DENBY DALE),

MR HOLMES (CHILD),

MR AND MRS HOLMES (OF DALE MILL),

MISS E. CHAPPEL,

MRS SYKES,

JOSEPH JAGGER (OF THORNSETT LODGE, BRADFIELD),

MR JAMES TAYLOR,

ALICE MATE,

MR AND MRS WEBSTER,

SARAH CRAWSHAW,

MRS JOSEPH CRAWSHAW,

AMAND OR ARNAND R CRAWSHAW (OF LANGLEY BROOK),

THOMSON & HANNAH,

EDITH R STANLEY,

JONATHAN CRAWSHAW (OF WOODSEATS).

Thank you dialhouse,

not in alphabetical order yet,

but a bit kinder on the mice pies,

;-)

Sorted into a sort of alphabetical order

Mr & Mrs Armatage,

Thomson & Hannah,

Miss Almond/armond Or Amond,

Miss Broadhead,

Miss E Broadhead,

Miss Clara Brooks (Wife Of Arthur Stanley, She Died In Chilbirth)

Miss Buckley,

Little Wilie Burford & Aunt Amy,

Mrs Burford,

Nellie Burford,

Mr J? Burford,

Mrs J? Burford,

Willie Henry Burford, Polly Burford,

Amand Or Arnand R Crawshaw (Of Langley Brook),

Mrs Joseph Crawshaw,

Jonathan Crawshaw (Of Woodseats).

Sarah Crawshaw,

Miss E. Chappel,

Mr J? Ellis,

Miss M..Ellis,

Miss Ellis,

Miss May E Ellis,

Miss H E Ellis,

Miss Fawdington (Old Spinster And Donator Of Wilfreds Middle Name),

Mr Hawe?,

Miss Holmes (Of Denby Dale),

Mr Holmes (Child),

Miss Holmes,

Mr And Mrs Holmes (Of Dale Mill),

Miss Hoyland (Of Sheffield)

Joseph Jagger (Of Thornsett Lodge, Bradfield),

Mr G Jesshop,

Captain Jesshop,

Mr Jesshop,

Mr Jesshop,

Miss M J? Lawton,

Miss Lawton(Of Aldermanshead),

Miss E Lawton (Of Midhopestones),

Miss Lee,

Mrs F? Marsden,

Mrs Marsden,

Miss S Jane Marsh,

Mrs C Marsh,

Alice Mate,

Edith V Agnes Moore(Child, Penistone),

Jonny Moorehouse,

Mrs Moorehouse,

Miss Mary Pulling,

Mrs B Silverwood,

Edith R Stanley,

Miss Sarah Ann Pulling,

Spencer Stanley (Son Of Wilrfed Stanley),

Spencer Stanley (Brother Of Wilfred Stanley) ,

Frances Stanley (Sister Of Wilfred Stanley),

Mrs Stanley of Sheephouse,

Mr John Stanley,

Miss Stanley,

Mrs Sykes,

Mr James Taylor,

Mr Taylor, Mrs Taylor (With Child),

Mr Thornhill The Vicar,

Mr Ward,

Mr Fred Ward,

Mr H Ward,

Mrs Ward,

Mr Webster In Church Attire (Vicar?),

Mr and Mrs Webster,

Mr Webster,

Mrs Webster,

Mrs James Wood / Ward?,

Mrs Wood (Of Gunthwaite Gate)

Miss Woolfe?,

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a photo album from a local auction house, as it is my hobby, to try and trace living relatives and return their property to their rightfull families. However I am at a loss as to trace the family of this album as it is nearly all based on surnames and no first names. I do know that the album belonged to Mr Wilfred Fawdington Stanley, born in Wortley in 1874 and I have managed to do most of the Stanley family tree. The only problem is, there is only about six pictures of the Stanley family and around 150 other pictures ,who were just friends and neighbours. It is therefore my intention to list as many of the familes in the order they appear in the album as I can and if you think you are related to them, email me at cdhewick@aol.com and I will scan the photos and send them to you.

Thank you dialhouse for the list of names, I was hoping to find a least one I reconized but

sadly not.

Guest dialhouse

Thank you dialhouse for the list of names, I was hoping to find a least one I reconized but

sadly not.

Thank you for taking the time to look. And thanks to the other administrators for their help with the listings :rolleyes:

Guest Brunobel

I am new - just joined today and have ancestors in the Bradfield area - Rhodes and Tillotson in the late 1700's. Any likely contacts ?

Brunobel

On 24/11/2010 at 15:53, Brunobel said:

I am new - just joined today and have ancestors in the Bradfield area - Rhodes and Tillotson in the late 1700's. Any likely contacts ?

Brunobel

Hello,

have you taken a look at The Bradfield Archives?

SH link here .. Bradfield Archives

Please read the whole SH Topic, re; the search facility and updates to the records.

Guest buster127

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a photo album from a local auction house, as it is my hobby, to try and trace living relatives and return their property to their rightfull families. However I am at a loss as to trace the family of this album as it is nearly all based on surnames and no first names. I do know that the album belonged to Mr Wilfred Fawdington Stanley, born in Wortley in 1874 and I have managed to do most of the Stanley family tree. The only problem is, there is only about six pictures of the Stanley family and around 150 other pictures ,who were just friends and neighbours. It is therefore my intention to list as many of the familes in the order they appear in the album as I can and if you think you are related to them, email me at cdhewick@aol.com and I will scan the photos and send them to you. Here Goes:

SPENCER STANLEY (SON OF WILRFED STANLEY), MR THORNHILL THE VICAR, MR WARD, FRANCES STANLEY (SISTER OF WILFRED STANLEY), SPENCER STANLEY (BROTHER OF WILFRED STANLEY) , MISS FAWDINGTON (OLD SPINSTER AND DONATOR OFWILFREDS MIDDLE NAME), MISS STANLEY, MRS STANLEY OF SHEEPHOUSE, MRS WARD, MR JOHN STANLEY, MRS MARSDEN, MR WEBSTER, MRS WEBSTER, MISS M.E.ELLIS, MISS H E ELLIS, MRS BURFORD, NELLIE BURFORD, MR J? BURFORD, MRS J? BURFORD, MISS MAY E ELLIS, MR J? ELLIS, EDITH V AGNES MOORE(CHILD, PENISTONE), MRS C MARSH, MISS S JANE MARSH, MISS CLARA BROOKS (WIFE OF ARTHUR STANLEY, SHE DIED IN CHILBIRTH) MRS F? MARSDEN, MISS E LAWTON (OF MIDHOPESTONES), MR & MRS ARMATAGE, MR HAWE?, MISS E BROADHEAD, MISS BUCKLEY, MISS HOYLAND (OF SHEFFIELD) MISS BROADHEAD, MISS WOOLFE?, MISS LEE, MISS M J? LAWTON, JONNY MOOREHOUSE, MRS MOOREHOUSE, MRS B SILVERWOOD, MISS LAWTON(OF ALDERMANSHEAD), MR TAYLOR, MRS TAYLOR (WITH CHILD), MR H WARD, MISS MARY PULLING, MISS SARAH ANN PULLING, MISS ELLIS, MISS ALMOND/ARMOND OR AMOND, LITTLE WILIE BURFORD & AUNT AMY, MR WEBSTER IN CHURCH ATTIRE (VICAR?), WILLIE HENRY BURFORD, POLLY BURFORD, CAPTAIN JESSHOP, MR JESSHOP, MR JESSHOP, MR G JESSHOP, MRS WOOD (OF GUNTHWAITE GATE) MISS HOLMES, MRS JAMES WOOD / WARD?, MR FRED WARD, MISS HOLMES (OF DENBY DALE), MR HOLMES (CHILD), MR AND MRS HOLMES (OF DALE MILL), MISS E. CHAPPEL, MRS SYKES, JOSEPH JAGGER (OF THORNSETT LODGE, BRADFIELD), MR JAMES TAYLOR, ALICE MATE, MR AND MRS WEBSTER, SARAH CRAWSHAW, MRS JOSEPH CRAWSHAW, AMAND OR ARNAND R CRAWSHAW (OF LANGLEY BROOK), THOMSON & HANNAH, EDITH R STANLEY, JONATHAN CRAWSHAW (OF WOODSEATS).

There is the Stannington Local History group

- http://stanningtonhistorygroup.org.uk/

Lyn

This might be the parents of Thomas Brooke Stanley; he had relations at Sheephouse Farm Midhope (Mr Mrs Darwen)and a grandfather at Hunshelf Hall.

I see you have a Crawshaw at Langley Brook, that could be at the top end of Stocksbridge.

This might be the parents of Thomas Brooke Stanley; he had relations at Sheephouse Farm Midhope (Mr Mrs Darwen)and a grandfather at Hunshelf Hall.

I see you have a Crawshaw at Langley Brook, that could be at the top end of Stocksbridge.

Clara Brook born Ecclesfield in 1869 and married Arthur Stanley in June 1891. Yes, she almost certainly died in childbirth because Thomas Brooke Stanley (the name he used) was born at that time. Thomas went on to earn distinction with the Australians at Gallipoli. Search his name on this website or contact me for help.

The son of Clara Brook emigrated to Australia just before the Great War. He enlisted with their army was decorated for his part in the battle for Hill 60 at Gallipoli. He met Alice May Hicks, from Loftus, North Yorkshire, who was also helping the war effort (perhaps in Egypt) and they were married in Australia later. Their son, Bernard, lived and may still survive in Bunbury or Brunswick Junction (WA) but you will understand that Bernard will be into his 80s by now!.

Alice May Hicks was my maternal Grandfather's sister and they lived at 29 Tees street, Loftus near Guisborough in North Yorkshire. You woulkd find them on 1901 census.

Guest meggiewa

The son of Clara Brook emigrated to Australia just before the Great War. He enlisted with their army was decorated for his part in the battle for Hill 60 at Gallipoli. He met Alice May Hicks, from Loftus, North Yorkshire, who was also helping the war effort (perhaps in Egypt) and they were married in Australia later. Their son, Bernard, lived and may still survive in Bunbury or Brunswick Junction (WA) but you will understand that Bernard will be into his 80s by now!.

Alice May Hicks was my maternal Grandfather's sister and they lived at 29 Tees street, Loftus near Guisborough in North Yorkshire. You woulkd find them on 1901 census.

I can confirm the above. Alice May Hicks and Thomas Brooke Stanley were my paternal grandparents and Bernard Stanley my father. Newbynorm, I think that makes us cousins, once removed? Sadly, Bernard passed away on 4 June 2006. He is survived by my mother, brother, myself and my two daugters. I have met some of Thomas Brooke's family and been to Sheffield for a little look (although I plan to have a much better look one day). I don't remember meeting any of Alice May's family although I think some did come to Australia and perhaps some lived in New Zealand. I would love to make contact with you Newbynorm. You can email me on meggie@wn.com.au if you would like to.

Thanks to dialhouse for posting the list from the album and emailing me lots of photos from the album.

Hi Dialhouse - I am the great grandaughter of Wilfrid Fawdington Stanley and would be really interested to see the Stanley family photos. I have tried to email you but I got a delivery failure. Hope to hear from you.

• Like 1

With regard to Thomas Brooke Stanley of Western Australia. I am pleased to report that My wife and I had the great pleasure of hosting "meggiewa" and two of her family members on their short visit to North Yorkshire in July 2013. In a short time, we were able to cover a great deal of common ground. Thank you for this, Dialhouse. NewbyNorm.

Hi I’m nicola stanley and I’m related to the people you mentioned. Thompson and Hannah Stanley were my great grandparents. I am also doing our family tree so would love to share any information .

thank yiu

nicola stanley 

On 01/09/2013 at 20:03, Newbynorm said:

With regard to Thomas Brooke Stanley of Western Australia. I am pleased to report that My wife and I had the great pleasure of hosting "meggiewa" and two of her family members on their short visit to North Yorkshire in July 2013. In a short time, we were able to cover a great deal of common ground. Thank you for this, Dialhouse. NewbyNorm.

Hi I’m nicola stanley and I’ve recently been doing my family tree. Thomas brooke stanley was my grandads cousin. I would love to share any information we have. 

Thank you

nicola stanley

On 05/02/2012 at 21:36, Kathryn_h_1980 said:

Hi Dialhouse - I am the great grandaughter of Wilfrid Fawdington Stanley and would be really interested to see the Stanley family photos. I have tried to email you but I got a delivery failure. Hope to hear from you.

Hi my name is nicola stanley and I am the great grand daughter of Wilfred’s brother George Thompson. Would love to hear from you. 

Thank you

nicola stanley 

On 3/30/2018 at 17:43, Nicola stanley said:

Hi my name is nicola stanley and I am the great grand daughter of Wilfred’s brother George Thompson. Would love to hear from you. 

Thank you

nicola stanley 

Hi Nicola

Would be lovely to hear from you too.  My email address is kathryn_h_1980@hotmail.com/.

Kathryn

On 17/11/2010 at 21:19, dialhouse said:

Hi All,

Hello Iv`e only just joined the forum and I have some relatives on my mothers side mentioned in the OPs thread.  Sarah Crawshaw , Mrs Joseph Crawshaw and Jonathon Crawshaw (of Woodseats) are all known to me as I have done the research on both sides of my family and one of the Crawshaw family became tennant farmers at Langley brook but I don`t recognise the christian names so I suspect its a miss print. . If you could copy the Photos to me of the Crawshaws I would be very grateful.  

The Woodseats mentioned is not the district in Sheffield (as I first thought at the outset of my family digging) but Woodseats farm in Bradfield dale which is undergoing restoration under the planning authority of the Peak Park ( dont envy anyone who has to go through that ) and is the ancestral home of all the Crawshaws in the area . Jonathon was a "big wig " on the parish council and his importance in the area is shown by the fact he is buried outside the east end of the church at High Bradfield .

If its not too late could any photos be sent to me at andyteal22@hotmail.com. 

Cheers . 

There were Stanleys living in Bolsterstone village.

I am a direct descendant of the original Crawshaws of Langley Brook, but I think at this time my family had moved away.  I'd be interested to see the photos though.

claire2pearson@hotmail.com

A bit of a long shot given the length of time that has passed since the original post, but…. Does anyone know the whereabouts of the photo album, or whether or not prints were ever digitised?  

I was previously interested as a descendent of the original owner of the album (Wilfred Fawdington Stanley), however I have since been researching another branch of my family tree and am interested in the Crawshaws also.

I have tried to email dialhouse but have received a delivery failure.

I would love to see the photos.  

4 hours ago, Kathryn_h_1980 said:

A bit of a long shot given the length of time that has passed since the original post, but…. Does anyone know the whereabouts of the photo album, or whether or not prints were ever digitised?  

I was previously interested as a descendent of the original owner of the album (Wilfred Fawdington Stanley), however I have since been researching another branch of my family tree and am interested in the Crawshaws also.

I have tried to email dialhouse but have received a delivery failure.

I would love to see the photos.  

Sorry to say, but dialhouse, is no longer a registered member of SH.

Good luck with your search

On 05/11/2023 at 17:20, SteveHB said:

Sorry to say, but dialhouse, is no longer a registered member of SH.

Good luck with your search

That’s a shame but thanks for letting me know.