Hackenthorpe Wanderers

vox

These pictures from the early 70's

Hackenthorpe Wanderers circa 1960 taken at the football ground on Drakehouse Lane. The only ones I can name are Kenny Beaumont (front row, second from left). Front row far right is me! My brother Ian is back row, far right next to the trainer. Do you recognise anyone?

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 11:32, THYLACINE said:

Hackenthorpe Wanderers circa 1960 taken at the football ground on Drakehouse Lane. The only ones I can name are Kenny Beaumont (front row, second from left). Front row far right is me! My brother Ian is back row, far right next to the trainer. Do you recognise anyone?

post-5973-077029700%201289906719_thumb.jpg

Thylacine (Gears) fancy remembering "Kenny" - I've  not been called that for ages. I can remember watching Popeye cartoons on your TV after a day at Rainbow Forge Junior School.

I have always thought of the team you refer to above as "Hackenthorpe Methodists FC" and the photo was taken approx. 1959. Players names (I think) are:

Back Row L-R:: Michael Boyles, Frank Bonnington, Charlie Mills, Darryl Bower, wee pipe Wainwright, Ian Geary, David Webster. 

Front Row L-R: Philip Boyles, Ken Beaumont, Paul Else, ? Mack, Phil Masters, Philip Geary.

The team was started by Mick Boyles and Dave Webster, who were members of the church – Mick was the organist and Dave (I think) had a desire to be a youth worker.  Dave worked with my father Henry (a professional photographer – who took the photo) in Sheffield.  The aim was to introduce young men into the church through their membership of the football team.

My recollection of the first game was that the 2 coaches, Michael Boyles and David Webster, arrived at the ground on their bikes each with a sack over their shoulders.  One sack contained a set of green and white quartered shirts (pre-owned!) while the other contained sawdust.  The team’s first task was to mark out lines on the pitch using the sawdust.  I had freshly applied dubbin to my boots for the game and after lining the pitch I had a small pyramid of sawdust on each toecap.  I can’t remember the result of the game or the opposition - but I think they may have been another church-based team.  I lasted 3 games in the team before more accomplished footballers joined.

Drakehouse Lane playing fields are now "developed" - probably under a road, houses or Crystal Peaks.

Thylacine - will shortly send you a PM with some other old pics.

Regards,  Ken Beaumont

There was another Church team in Hackenthorpe in the mid 1960's. It was the Hackenthorpe Christ Church team. It also played on Drakehouse fields in the Highgate and District league (this was an under 16 league) before moving into the Sheffield & Hallamshire Junior (under 21) League. My next door neighbour Michael Hall was the manager, and I ended up being the Secretary.

In 1966 we moved our base to the newly opened Hackenthorpe Social Club for sponsorship, playing under their name. We moved our pitch to Woodhouse because the changing rooms at Drakehouse were falling down and not acceptable by the new league.We won the Junior League in season 1967/68. At the end of the season we tried to move to a more senior league, but were rejected because of our poor changing rooms. This was a surprise to us as we shared the ground with Sheffield United juniors. The club folded

I started a team (manager, player, secretary Etc) under the name Hackenthorpe Boys in 1964, also playing in the Highgate & District League. However, the league folded at the end of the season and a year later we joined the Sheffield & Hallamshire Under 18 Sunday League as Hackenthorpe FC. Their is still a team playing under that name, which I believe is the continuation of the club I started.

The thing I remember about Dralkehuse was having to mark the pitch out before the game. Somebody had found a water spring in the farmers field on the top side of the pitch nearest the road. We wound climb over the fence, fill our buckets with water, and them made a lime solution which we applied by using paint brushes.

The pitch cost 2/2/- per season from Southall Parish Council. We could play on it 24/7. In 1968 the area was taken over by Sheffield Council and the charge went up to 10/- per game, collected during the game by a Council worker riding a motor bike. Being the treasurer, I often had to leave the pitch during the game to pay him.

Chris Eyre