Tip Shop Treasure

THYLACINE

Look what I scored at our local Tip Shop where they recycle stuff and sell it back to the public. This cost me 50 cents. Is it genuine ie Made in Sheffield? The only other mark on it isays A78-250mm. It seems like a beautiful piece of engineering - why would anyone trash it? Does anyone know what the missing handle looks like and if I can get one.

The only way to get a wooden handle on it now would be to have 2 turned and drilled.

Then cut them both (slightly off centre) so that they can be put together around the shaft and glued together.

This may may be obvious, but if you cut one in half, it won't form a complete circle when the pieces are joined back together.

Have I explained that well enough ?

I know what I mean anyway.

The only way to get a wooden handle on it now would be to have 2 turned and drilled.

Then cut them both (slightly off centre) so that they can be put together around the shaft and glued together.

This may may be obvious, but if you cut one in half, it won't form a complete circle when the pieces are joined back together.

Have I explained that well enough ?

I know what I mean anyway.

It IS obvious but I would never have thought of it. Brilliant. Just need a bloke with a lathe.

It IS obvious but I would never have thought of it. Brilliant. Just need a bloke with a lathe.

Failing that (depending on whether you want it to look pretty or merely be functional) you could use a brush handle and drill down it yourself.

Round the ends off with some rough sandpaper.

"A brush handle may be a bit thin though."

I can think of other ways that you could do it yourself without a lathe. If you decide to have a go let me know.