Broomhill Musical Festival

RichardB

23rd February 1869

On 23rd February (1869) the Broomhill Musical Festival was held at the chapel in Broomhill which was well filled.

The Dettingem Te Deum and Haydns Third Mass were given with much effect.

The vocalists were selected from the Sheffield Choral Union, Mrs Lee, Miss Harrison, Mr Albert Wilson and Mr Masser giving the solos with the utmost success. The choruses were sung with remarkable precision. Mr Edward Lee ably presided at the organ.

23rd February 1869

On 23rd February (1869) the Broomhill Musical Festival was held at the chapel in Broomhill which was well filled.

The Dettingem Te Deum and Haydns Third Man were given with much effect.

The vocalists were selected from the Sheffield Choral Union, Mrs Lee, Miss Harrison, Mr Albert Wilson and Mr Masser giving the solos with the utmost success. The choruses were sung with remarkable precision. Mr Edward Lee ably presided at the organ.

I thought The Third Man was a film by Carol Reed and starring Orson Welles, with music by Anton Karas lol . Wonder if it should be Haydn's Third Mass (sometimes known as the St Cecilia Mass)

I thought The Third Man was a film by Carol Reed and starring Orson Welles, with music by Anton Karas lol . Wonder if it should be Haydn's Third Mass (sometimes known as the St Cecilia Mass)

I think you are correct, I'll edit the original so I don't look like an idiot and leave your reply intact just to show that I really am an idiot.

Now, about St Cecilia you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily ... wasn't that by Simon and Garfunkel with a tremendous Zither-solo or am I just making stuff up again ?

I think you are correct, I'll edit the original so I don't look like an idiot and leave your reply intact just to show that I really am an idiot.

Now, about St Cecilia you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily ... wasn't that by Simon and Garfunkel with a tremendous Zither-solo or am I just making stuff up again ?

No comment. I shall muddy the waters a little more by suggesting that the Dettingen Te Deum is actually by Handel :rolleyes: . It was written to commemorate the British victory at the Battle of Dettingen.