Dairy On Bellhouse Road

Guest outodate

Guest outodate

I'm doing some background research on dairy farms in Sheffield for a short film and would really like to gain any information and pictures of the dairy which was on Bellhouse Road (S5 0RF?)

I am aware that it was a Co op but that's as far as I can find. What I'd really like is to hear people's stories or fond memories of visiting the site and what the place was like.

Or if anyone knows of any other dairies which are no longer here and have information/stories/pictures that would be great too!

I'm doing some background research on dairy farms in Sheffield for a short film and would really like to gain any information and pictures of the dairy. I am aware that it was a Co op but that's as far as I can find. What I'd really like is to hear people's stories or fond memories of visiting the site and what the place was like.

Or if anyone knows of any other dairies which are no longer here and have information/stories/pictures that would be great too!

Map request please; my Uncle may have had a lockup near there as a grocer in the 1930's ... Welcome to the site Outodate.

I'm doing some background research on dairy farms in Sheffield for a short film and would really like to gain any information and pictures of the dairy which was on Bellhouse Road (S5 0RF?)

I am aware that it was a Co op but that's as far as I can find. What I'd really like is to hear people's stories or fond memories of visiting the site and what the place was like.

Not much but there's a bit about one on Crookes HERE

Map request please; my Uncle may have had a lockup near there as a grocer in the 1930's ... Welcome to the site Outodate.

When i was a mere boy i lived on Rolleston Rd which runs more or less parallel with Bellhouse Rd and when i had been with

School friends on the Bellhouse side we would cut through the Dairy and across what i now assume what was there sports field

and over the wooden gates which were just across from Rolleston we were chased regular by the dairy workers but never

caught, There seems to be a new housing estate there now. I don't recall the allotments.

The dairy on Bellhouse road belonged to B & C CoOp and I'm pretty sure it was still working in the early 1990s. I worked at their other dairy on Broughton lane for a few months in 1976. I remember all the waste milk from the creamery went as pig-swill - now it's sold for a premium price as skimmed milk in supermarkets. he he

I remember the Express dairy on Broadfield road, next to Heeley Baths and I think S & E CoOp had a dairy in the Millhouses area - Archer road ?

The dairy on Bellhouse road belonged to B £ C CoOp and I'm pretty sure it was still working in the early 1990s. I worked at their other dairy on Broughton lane for a few months in 1976. I remember all the waste milk from the creamery went as pig-swill - now it's sold for a premium price as skimmed milk in supermarkets. he he

I remember the Express dairy on Broadfield road, next to Heeley Baths and I think S & E CoOp had a dairy in the Millhouses area - Archer road ?

I emember a CooP Laundry on Bellhouse Rd ( the same site as the dairy I think) when I was young. Anyone else remember that? There is a photo of the staff there outside the building in the book "From Bandstand to Monkey Run" about Page Hall/ Firth Park area published by Sheffield Libraries - dont know if its still in print . There is also a photo of the staff there at a reunion on Bellhouse Road in 1988.

Can't see any reference to the Dairy though.

John

I worked at the S & E Co-op dairy on Archer Road in the mid 70's.

picturesheffield

Guest Unitedite

I worked at the S & E Co-op dairy on Archer Road in the mid 70's.

picturesheffield

The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited milk processing dairy, [in it's later years, to be called the Sheffield Cooperative Society Limited] at Bellhouse Road, replaced an early facility that had pre-existed it on Broughton Lane. I seem to recall that the Broughton Lane milk processing dairy had been built sometime in the early 1930s. The relocated milk processing facility was to occupy what I believe had formerly been the Cooperative Bakery Building. The dairy processed about 15,000 gallons of milk per day and the dairy manager during the 1970s and 1980s was Eric Price, who I believe came from the Potteries. The dairy when originally relocated contained two Vickers Dawson Bottling Lines and each could wash, fill, seal and recrate about 60 bottles per minute.

The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited also had a Butchery Factory [closed in the 1970's] at the rear of the Dairy Building and the Laundry Building when closed, was taken over by the Transport Department and became a garage. The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited also had a milk retail distribution depot at Woodhouse, at the back of roughly where the new Coop supermarket now stands.

The transport depot for the B+C facilities on Broughton Lane were located on nearby Coleridge Road. These might well still exist, albiet under another guise.

The Sheffield and Ecclesall Cooperative Society Limited milk processing dairy, [in it's later years, to be called the Yorkshire Cooperative Society Limited on amalagation with that Bradford based organisation] was located on Archer Road. The dairy, built in the 1930's, The dairy processed about 10,000 gallons of milk per day and the dairy manager during the 1970s and 1980s was John Mottershead, who I believe came from the Wirral. The dairy contained one Vickers Dawson Bottling Line, processing speed unknown.

Both dairies shared somewhat similar milk fields [catchment areas for their unprocessed milk] and if I remember correctly, milk to these two factories was supplied from North Derbyshire and from Nottingham. Roughly 60 milk producers were allocated to the B+C and roughly 40 milk producers were allocated to the S+E. Each milk producer typically produced roughly 200 gallons of milk per day, although individual farms did vary in size considerably from 50 gallons up to 1,000 gallons production. Milk for both factories was collected by tankers operating out of the Milk Marketing Board Depot at Alfreton.

I might [still] have some photographs somewhere. If I can find them, I will let you know.

Kind regards;

N

See if you can get a copy of this in the Library ( or off ebay) it has tales of the dairy and some photographs

From Bandstand to Monkey Run : Voices from Firth park, Shiregreen & Page Hall" published by the S C Libraries in 1980

Guest Unitedite

I attach as promised some photographs of the Dairy Distribution Fleet of the Sheffield Co-operative Society Limited.

All of the photographs were taken by me on 22-06-1985 [25 years ago]

All of the photographs, with the exception of the enclosed bedford van [b591 FDT] were taken at Bellhouse Road.

If I can find the rest, [big, big. challenge], which will include some of the actual milk processing plant, I will share these with you.

In the 1950's there was a distribution depot for I think B & C dairies at the bottom of Herries Road near the old bus garage. My relatives lived in one of the Wardsend Cottages and they used to walk down the road each day for a couple of pints. I don't think that they were geared up for retail sales and the cash probably went into a back pocket. The place seemed to be a cold store with a loading bay at the front.

HD

Guest mihiphee

The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited milk processing dairy, [in it's later years, to be called the Sheffield Cooperative Society Limited] at Bellhouse Road, replaced an early facility that had pre-existed it on Broughton Lane. I seem to recall that the Broughton Lane milk processing dairy had been built sometime in the early 1930s. The relocated milk processing facility was to occupy what I believe had formerly been the Cooperative Bakery Building. The dairy processed about 15,000 gallons of milk per day and the dairy manager during the 1970s and 1980s was Eric Price, who I believe came from the Potteries. The dairy when originally relocated contained two Vickers Dawson Bottling Lines and each could wash, fill, seal and recrate about 60 bottles per minute.

The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited also had a Butchery Factory [closed in the 1970's] at the rear of the Dairy Building and the Laundry Building when closed, was taken over by the Transport Department and became a garage. The Brightside and Carbrook [Cooperative] Society Limited also had a milk retail distribution depot at Woodhouse, at the back of roughly where the new Coop supermarket now stands.

The transport depot for the B+C facilities on Broughton Lane were located on nearby Coleridge Road. These might well still exist, albiet under another guise.

The Sheffield and Ecclesall Cooperative Society Limited milk processing dairy, [in it's later years, to be called the Yorkshire Cooperative Society Limited on amalagation with that Bradford based organisation] was located on Archer Road. The dairy, built in the 1930's, The dairy processed about 10,000 gallons of milk per day and the dairy manager during the 1970s and 1980s was John Mottershead, who I believe came from the Wirral. The dairy contained one Vickers Dawson Bottling Line, processing speed unknown.

Both dairies shared somewhat similar milk fields [catchment areas for their unprocessed milk] and if I remember correctly, milk to these two factories was supplied from North Derbyshire and from Nottingham. Roughly 60 milk producers were allocated to the B+C and roughly 40 milk producers were allocated to the S+E. Each milk producer typically produced roughly 200 gallons of milk per day, although individual farms did vary in size considerably from 50 gallons up to 1,000 gallons production. Milk for both factories was collected by tankers operating out of the Milk Marketing Board Depot at Alfreton.

I might [still] have some photographs somewhere. If I can find them, I will let you know.

Kind regards;

N

Hi, Did anyone used to work at the B&C coop on Bellhouse Road from around 1966 to 1997? My late dad Roger Staniforth used to work there in the transport department and was wondering if there was any colleagues on here who knew him or had worked here at all around this time? Or if anybody knows of someone who worked here?

Thanks Helen

IMG_1929.JPG