A Nice Sheffield River Find For You To Wonder Over

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Found this HUGE Hoarse shoe behind Comet and Halfords on the river sheaf

Wonder if a Shire Dray Hoarse shed it on the toe path there or it was chucked in ??

What you think ??

Wonder if a Shire Dray Hoarse shed it on the toe path there or it was chucked in ??

What you think ??

Well TJ.

that's nice find,

could have been washed down from miles upstream in a flood,

may even have originated from a horse in a field somewhere near the river,

as it is surprising how far flood water can carry heavy items.

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Well TJ.

that's nice find,

could have been washed down from miles upstream in a flood,

may even have originated from a horse in a field somewhere near the river,

as it is surprising how far flood water can carry heavy items.

You are right i found it here

its the path that comes out behind the the sheaf pub at Heely it looks very tow Toe??path dont you think ..I Like it and if you don't mind is it ok to keep posting my river finds ??

I spend alot of my very little spair time in places like this

Trying to catch these

i even risked my life 3 years ago to see how the Don was going on

penistone road on my flood beater

Couldn't have been a towpath as the area was full of water wheels, and the bridge is next to a weir. There would have been fields there a long time back.

That 'towpath' is an ancient footpath from Heeley to Bramall lane - known as 'Cutler's Walk'

Or as we knew it "Skelly's Bridge" ...

Can anybody remember what year the old bridge was wiped out by the flood? It was just to the side of the new bridge and at a much lower level.

Or as we knew it "Skelly's Bridge" ...

Can anybody remember what year the old bridge was wiped out by the flood? It was just to the side of the new bridge and at a much lower level.

The Midland Station flooded in December 1991,

could that have been when the old bridge was washed away?

I know that it was flooded in the winter 1975/76, I waded across it B) The houses on Queens Road were flooded too and there was only bottled beer in the Earl of Arundel & Surrey too :(

What you think ??

I've got one of a similar size fastened above my porch door, it's 7" across. A one-time work colleague of mine converted a huge stone barn opposite Wortley Top Forge.

When he cleared out a thick layer of muck forming the floor he found hundreds of old horse shoes buried within.

He gave me one of the larger ones and so far, touch wood, rub my lucky rabbit's foot, it seems to be having the desired effect.

HD

I've got one of a similar size fastened above my porch door, it's 7" across. A one-time work colleague of mine converted a huge stone barn opposite Wortley Top Forge.

When he cleared out a thick layer of muck forming the floor he found hundreds of old horse shoes buried within.

He gave me one of the larger ones and so far, touch wood, rub my lucky rabbit's foot, it seems to be having the desired effect.

HD

Never mind HD, if your chariot breaks down , you've always the HGV recovery service to fall back on!

Guest Djelibeybi

Never mind HD, if your chariot breaks down , you've always the HGV recovery service to fall back on!

To measure a horse shoe you measure from the "end" on one side to the furthest bit (usually near the "top").

I used to be groom for my mate who owned and showed a Canadian-Belgian heavy horse. He was more in proportion than a Shire, had palomino colouring like Trigger, and didn't have feathers around his hooves. I helped take him to the farrier once and my reward was one of his old horse shoes which was 8" across at the points I've described. Without a ruler or something like a biro next to the shoe in Tollbar Jay's photo, it's hard to say whether it belonged to a heavy horse or not.

I doubt the Sheaf was used for craft such as canal boats towed by horses as there isn't enough depth and agree that the shoe was most likely from a horse passing or in a nearby field. Alternatively there might have been a farriers nearby. Back in the 1800's an ancestor of mine lived on Copley Street(?) which was / is between Broadfield Road and the railway line. My ancestor was a Hansom cab driver, and I assume he kept his horse in a yard adjacent to his home (but I've yet to confirm this).

Not forgetting of course that there were horses pulling milk carts, brewery drays, rag 'n' bone carts, coal delivery carts and suchlike around the area even into the mid 20th Century.

Thinking about it, I'm sure there's a significance to the straight extension on the heel of the shoe....but for the life of me I can't remember what it is! lol

Guest Djelibeybi

FOUND IT!

Cob shoe (go down to near the bottom of the page to the Horse Shoe Gallery) - "Plain stamped shoe with 'trailer' heel on the outside of the shoe (right of the picture). This a traditional shoe shaped in a way believed to assist with the movement of the horse."

I knew it had some significance!

To measure a horse shoe you measure from the "end" on one side to the furthest bit (usually near the "top").

I used to be groom for my mate who owned and showed a Canadian-Belgian heavy horse. He was more in proportion than a Shire, had palomino colouring like Trigger, and didn't have feathers around his hooves. I helped take him to the farrier once and my reward was one of his old horse shoes which was 8" across at the points I've described. Without a ruler or something like a biro next to the shoe in Tollbar Jay's photo, it's hard to say whether it belonged to a heavy horse or not.

I doubt the Sheaf was used for craft such as canal boats towed by horses as there isn't enough depth and agree that the shoe was most likely from a horse passing or in a nearby field. Alternatively there might have been a farriers nearby. Back in the 1800's an ancestor of mine lived on Copley Street(?) which was / is between Broadfield Road and the railway line. My ancestor was a Hansom cab driver, and I assume he kept his horse in a yard adjacent to his home (but I've yet to confirm this).

Not forgetting of course that there were horses pulling milk carts, brewery drays, rag 'n' bone carts, coal delivery carts and suchlike around the area even into the mid 20th Century.

Thinking about it, I'm sure there's a significance to the straight extension on the heel of the shoe....but for the life of me I can't remember what it is! lol

"As it appens" I had measured the shoe in the correct way at 7" 'so I guess it would have been off a normal working horse. It's probably quite old as it was found quite deeply buried in the earth floor of the old barn during the conversion to a home.

In appearance it looks quite modern in design but the section varies a bit around sides 'so it looks hand forged with the groove put in by hand.

It's firmly screwed to the inside wall above the porch door and it's staying there, (not that I'm superstitious you understand).

There were at least two fastened in walls at Wardsend Cottages but in that case they had been hammered horizontally into a mortar course by the points as it were.

HD