Paper Wheels For Railways

RichardB

Compressed paper wheels are now being manufactured in Sheffield for English railway companies. They were first introduced in America. The paper is subjected to a pressure of 2000 tons.

Compressed paper wheels are now being manufactured in Sheffield for English railway companies. They were first introduced in America. The paper is subjected to a pressure of 2000 tons.

Perhaps they ensured a better grip when there were leaves on the line :huh:

HD

Perhaps they ensured a better grip when there were leaves on the line :huh:

HD

They should use them on the high speed trains,

I bet they can go tearing along the track with those lol

Not forgetting the ashtrays that were invented for motorbikes ..

Self-emptying ashtrays sound more sensible than chocolate fireguards or paper wheels for trains - except the wheels were real - apparently.

Self-emptying ashtrays sound more sensible than chocolate fireguards or paper wheels for trains - except the wheels were real - apparently.

I can remember some of the elderly anglers that I knew,

and they often reminisced about .. getting up early to catch the paper train.

I can remember some of the elderly anglers that I knew,

and they often reminisced about .. getting up early to catch the paper train.

Would they withstand this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11702343

Perhaps an attempt to get more freight back on the railways!

U.S. invenor, Richard N. Allen (1827-1890)

'But the idea of a “paper” railroad car wheel was more a joke than anything else. Until, that is, the day in 1870 that George Pullman purchased a set of Allen’s wheels.

They worked well, and Pullman bought more. Ever the publicity hound, Pullman probably adopted the wheel as much for the publicity as for its merit. But his patronage converted the paper wheel from an oddity to a staple of luxury railroad travel'.

.. Paper Car Wheel Company

Not forgetting the ashtrays that were invented for motorbikes ..

How about a motorbike with an ashtray, paper wheels and a chocolate air cooled cylinder block! lol

U.S. invenor, Richard N. Allen (1827-1890)

'But the idea of a “paper” railroad car wheel was more a joke than anything else. Until, that is, the day in 1870 that George Pullman purchased a set of Allen’s wheels.

They worked well, and Pullman bought more. Ever the publicity hound, Pullman probably adopted the wheel as much for the publicity as for its merit. But his patronage converted the paper wheel from an oddity to a staple of luxury railroad travel'.

.. Paper Car Wheel Company

When I worked at AEI Traction in the sixties, most electric/diesel electric locomotives used traction motors actually hung on the drive axils with a pinion on the motor shaft coupled to a large gear wheel shrunk on to the axil.

These larger gears had a separate hub with rubber inserts carrying the drive torque from the rim of the gear.

So, same idea but substituting rubber for paper. Rubber wheels anyone ?

HD

These larger gears had a separate hub with rubber inserts carrying the drive torque from the rim of the gear.

So, same idea but substituting rubber for paper. Rubber wheels anyone ?

HD

I'm sure that some of the motorcycles I have owned had a rubber "cush drive" in the rear wheel hub so that the power was taken up more smoothly.

Rubber wheels?

How about a metal wheel with a rubber tyre?

Better still make that a pneumatic air inflated rubber tyre ;-)

I'm sure that some of the motorcycles I have owned had a rubber "cush drive" in the rear wheel hub so that the power was taken up more smoothly.

Rubber wheels?

How about a metal wheel with a rubber tyre?

Better still make that a pneumatic air inflated rubber tyre ;-)

You might be on to something with that idea. :P I should keep quiet while you look into it. :) :)

You might be on to something with that idea. :P I should keep quiet while you look into it. :) :)

I think the likes of Dunlop / Michelin / Goodyear / Pirrelli /etc

May have beaten me to it :(