Things mothers say...

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

When looking like rain or storm, "Looking a bit black over our Fred's".

When you were searching for something, "It'll be in the last place you look". (obviously!)

When inspecting you before leaving for school, "You'll pass at a push in the dark".

Surely my mother isn't unique, what did yours say?

When you said 'Mum - I'm fed up' - she would reply 'Well, run't end of our street and see if I'm there'

When you said 'Mum - whats for tea?' - she would reply 'Stand and stare back' - ??????

One of my mum's favourites when she was busy trying to do 3 things at once was -

"I don't know if I'm on this earth or Fullers" or

"I'm up and down like a fiddler's elbow"

When we were being naughty and looking for a slap it was usually -

I'll knock you into the middle of next week"

and when my sister and I were arguing it was either -

"I'll knock your heads together" - "If you don't stop it I'll make third man" - or "It'll end in tears!"

When constantly asking her what time it was, she would look at her non-existent watch and say -

"It's half past me elbow, just gone me shoulder."

And when she was REALLY frustrated it was -

"You treat me like a bloody slave, and THAT's swearing!"

Mothers, where would we have been without them?

when the budgie was sick "quick open that cage door and give it some air" - not a yorkshire saying as such but gods honest truth that is what she said

Guest tsavo

Mine once decided to make chicken soup from the chicken carcass left over from Sunday lunch. She simmered it away for hours filling the kitchen with steam. At last it was said to be ready and without thinking, poured it all into a colander over the sink. The entire liquid contents went straight down the drain, leaving her with a colander full of bones. We'd never heard her swear before ever, but on that occasion she came close with "Hells Bells and buckets of blood"!

Guest coffee cup

If you sat on a cold step or wall, it was "don't sit there you'll get kinkoff in your bum

Guest sheffbusman

"Eeee I go to't' foot of our stairs" this was a favourite of my mum's when expressing disbelief, even though we lived in a flat!!! :blink:

"Eeee I go to't' foot of our stairs" this was a favourite of my mum's when expressing disbelief, even though we lived in a flat!!! :blink:

Hi sheffbusman and welcome on board. he he lol

When I used to ask my gran how old she was:

"As old as my tongue and a bit older than my teeth!"

My Mum when I was miserable:

" If the wind changes you'll stay like that"

Guest Lacecurtains

If ever we went to mum crying over something which had upset us and she thought we were being 'mardy' or 'making a fuss over nothing' she would say 'stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about".

On 12/08/2007 at 19:51, carlie167 said:

We used to be told we would get a cold in our kinkoff!!!!! lol

It's interesting that Coffee Cup also mentions getting kinkoff if you sit on cold stones. My Mum and both Grannies used to say that, I once told a pal who was a GP and he said that despite six years at medical school and years of practice he'd never heard of kinkoff!

Wazzie Worrall