Does anyone remember?

dunsbyowl1867

In the 1970s/1980's there was a chain - well 3 record shops called "Bradleys" - is that right? They were dead run of the mill but managed to send me mum in one on Fargate to buy a copy of "Never mind the B$%@^£^^" for my Christmas present the year it came out! She bought it was was none too impressed walking around town with it.

For a number of years my sisters and I had great sport sending my old Mum into Bradleys for records. Can imagine her now at the counter in her BHS uniform asking for 'Very 'eavy, very 'umble' by Uriah Heep......and it took me ages to persaude her that 'Hocus Pocus' was single by a band called Focus

I SENT MI WIFE THEER FOR A COPY OF IVOR BIGGUNS I'VE PARTED (MISPRINT). SHE'S GAME FOR A

LAUGH WHEN SHE DUNT KNOW WHAT THE JOKE IS.

My Mom used to get me to produce a list for Christmas presents ("You won't get them, mind you" but it'll be a surprise)

Included on the list :

Leafhound - Growers of Mushroom (about £1,500 on vinyl, I've seen the sleeve for sale at £500 !)

Stackwaddy - Bugger Off

She wasn't best pleased :rolleyes:

Bradleys, if I remember right, Fargate opposite W H Smith, Corner of Pinstone/Charles Street, and, I think one on Chapel Walk ..... late 60's-early 70's

Bradleys, if I remember right, Fargate opposite W H Smith, Corner of Pinstone/Charles Street, and, I think one on Chapel Walk ..... late 60's-early 70's

The record shop on Chapel Walk was "Canns the Music Man"

Guest wisewoodowl

The record shop on Chapel Walk was "Canns the Music Man"

I thought that it was a Bradley's

Philip Cann's shop was originally on Dixon Lane before they moved to Chapel Walk.

I used to know a girl who worked the switchboard at Cann's. She used to answer the phone with "Philip Cann the Music Man"

It must have started to grate a little after the first few calls.

They used to have a high grade Hi-Fi set up (Leak or Quad) just inside the Chapel Walk door.

It sounded fantastic by the normal standards of the day.

HD

Philip Cann's shop was originally on Dixon Lane before they moved to Chapel Walk.

I used to know a girl who worked the switchboard at Cann's. She used to answer the phone with "Philip Cann the Music Man"

They used to have a high grade Hi-Fi set up (Leak or Quad) just inside the Chapel Walk door.

HD

Interior of Cann's on Chapel Walk, 1972 (Picture Sheffield)

In later years after the Fargate shop closed Bradleys did move onto Chapel Walk, on the left as you wallked away from Norfolk st, about opposite to the entrance to the Victoria Hall.

I have no recollection of Bradley's at all, but I can remember Cann's (porbably because of the rhyme).

I also remember occasionally going to a record/music shop on Chapel Walk, but my memory tells me it was called Vallances. Was this later in the 1970s or early 1980s?

What about the Virgin record shop at the bottom of the Moor, after Fitzwilliam St on the left just before the Yorkshire Bank

What about the Virgin record shop at the bottom of the Moor, after Fitzwilliam St on the left just before the Yorkshire Bank

That one I do remember, as it is where I went to get all the obscure punk records (especially singles) I wanted in the latter part of the 1970s.

HD

Phillip Cann the Music Man

Was their official slogan, - it appeared on many of the items they sold.

Unless my memory is failing me, and it often does, the two girls selecting their records, were Philip Cann staff. One of them is the girl I knew who worked the switchboard.

Obviously a staged photo taken before the less photogenic public were allowed in.

HD

Unless my memory is failing me, and it often does, the two girls selecting their records, were Philip Cann staff. One of them is the girl I knew who worked the switchboard.

Obviously a staged photo taken before the less photogenic public were allowed in.

HD

Hmmm...

1972 hey,

I wonder what particular classic records from that year the 2 girls were selecting.

The record department was downstairs in Cann's and all the sheet music / instruments etc. were upstairs as you walked in.

I used to be a member of Bradley's Video Library in it's early days.

It worked in a weird way. You had to buy a film on video, keep it for as long as you wanted, then for a few pounds you could exchange it in the library and keep that tape until you wanted to change again.

My initial video was "The Blues Brothers" on VHS and it cost me £42.00!

The record department was downstairs in Cann's and all the sheet music / instruments etc. were upstairs as you walked in.

I used to be a member of Bradley's Video Library in it's early days.

It worked in a weird way. You had to buy a film on video, keep it for as long as you wanted, then for a few pounds you could exchange it in the library and keep that tape until you wanted to change again.

My initial video was "The Blues Brothers" on VHS and it cost me £42.00!

Exactly how I remember the Chapel Walk incarnation of Phillip Cann's Markbaby

Never really got in to video rentals at all but £42.00 seems a lot of many for a VHS video even when VHS tapes were new and the latest craze.

Never really got in to video rentals at all but £42.00 seems a lot of many for a VHS video even when VHS tapes were new and the latest craze.

This was before "Raiders of the lost Arc" broke the retail market by being launched at a ground breaking low of £19:99 and it sold in it's 1000's

In later years after the Fargate shop closed Bradleys did move onto Chapel Walk, on the left as you wallked away from Norfolk st, about opposite to the entrance to the Victoria Hall.

Hmm. In the long ago days of hanging round record shops (early-mid 70's) I recall Bradleys already being on chapel walk, on the other side from Canns and a little way down towards the crucible. Bradleys had three shops at the time: Chapel Walk, Fargate and Pinstone street.

Does anyone remember ...

Wilson Peck having a shop on west street, coner of rockingham lane?