Whats The 'holy Grail' Of Sheffield History Now?

RichardS

Seeing as though google books and RichardB has uploaded Hunter's Hallamshire, whats the rare stuff still to get a hard copy or scanned copy of?

I don't know anyone with a copy of Sketchleys 1774 directory which i'd like(!), what other stuff is out there/thought to be out there?

Seeing as though google books and RichardB has uploaded Hunter's Hallamshire, whats the rare stuff still to get a hard copy or scanned copy of?

I don't know anyone with a copy of Sketchleys 1774 directory which i'd like(!), what other stuff is out there/thought to be out there?

I did supply my first edition of Hallamshire to Stuart for scanning, it just seemed so much more efficient when it was discovered that the images were already in the public domain.

The third part of the Hunter/Gatty books, Gatty's Sheffield Past and Present I gave to somebody (either Vox or Stuart) some while back with a view to getting it online by Christmas.

Sketchleys - yes please ! But where from ...

:blink:

I did supply my first edition of Hallamshire to Stuart for scanning, it just seemed so much more efficient when it was discovered that the images were already in the public domain.

The third part of the Hunter/Gatty books, Gatty's Sheffield Past and Present I gave to somebody (either Vox or Stuart) some while back with a view to getting it online by Christmas.

Sketchleys - yes please ! But where from ...

:blink:

I am sure I do not have it

Though there is quite a pile

I am sure I do not have it

Though there is quite a pile

Just looked what was in the pile, and hey presto, there is Sheffield past and Present by Rev A Gatty

Just looked what was in the pile, and hey presto, there is Sheffield past and Present by Rev A Gatty

The missing bit of the Hunter/Gatty trilogy and therefore the current Holy Grail ...

unless someone has a latter edition of Gatty's update of Hunter's work, mine is early, I think there are copies up to 1875

unless Sketchleys is more desirable (which I think it might well be) or someone else can think of an important missing Publication.

I think Stuart is just after another scanner

I have Sheffield Past and Present 1873, with a handwritten note to to George Eyre from no other than Sir John Brown on the inside cover.

Simply reads:

'George Eyre

As a token of regard

Sir John Brown

Endcliffe Hall

Xmas 1873'

I have Sheffield Past and Present 1873, with a handwritten note to to George Eyre from no other than Sir John Brown on the inside cover.

Simply reads:

'George Eyre

As a token of regard

Sir John Brown

Endcliffe Hall

Xmas 1873'

Why not start a new thread of Autographs of Sheffield people ? Yours would be a great start and others might come from PictureSheffield. Not sure I've any signatures of the great and good but it might bring up some interesting people.

The missing bit of the Hunter/Gatty trilogy and therefore the current Holy Grail ...

Not suggesting Past and Present is particularly rare, I just knew I had a Hunter's Hallamshire, eventually I bought a Gatty's Hallamshire.

Tthe combination of Hunters original, with handwritten notes/updates by Hunter himself (which Gatty owned) plus Gatty's Past and Present I thought I'd like to see available, online, for free and it seemed like Sheffield History was the right place to make that happen.

Not suggesting Past and Present is particularly rare, I just knew I had a Hunter's Hallamshire, eventually I bought a Gatty's Hallamshire.

Tthe combination of Hunters original, with handwritten notes/updates by Hunter himself (which Gatty owned) plus Gatty's Past and Present I thought I'd like to see available, online, for free and it seemed like Sheffield History was the right place to make that happen.

I made a start on putting Past and Present into PDF format a while ago but put on hold when I realised the file would be quite a bit larger than the 2MB allowed for upload here. I suppose I could split it into two files and it would save Stuart having to scan and upload 300+ pages.

Here's a sample....but I still have quite a bit of editing the OCR to do.

OCR2.pdf

Edit: - I would be interested to learn if this file can be read on a Mac and a Linux machine. I haven't embedded any fonts to save space and it relies on the user having Times Roman available.

I made a start on putting Past and Present into PDF format a while ago but put on hold when I realised the file would be quite a bit larger than the 2MB allowed for upload here. I suppose I could split it into two files and it would save Stuart having to scan and upload 300+ pages.

Here's a sample....but I still have quite a bit of editing the OCR to do.

OCR2.pdf

Edit: - I would be interested to learn if this file can be read on a Mac and a Linux machine. I haven't embedded any fonts to save space and it relies on the user having Times Roman available.

I have pages 1-72 scanned as Jpegs, (out of 343) about 20%. The cropping and adding a watermark etc is automated in Photoshop, I have a few days scanning left then its just a matter of posting

How much more scanning/editing do you have left?

I'm on a mac, and it works fine! :)

I have pages 1-72 scanned as Jpegs, (out of 343) about 20%. The cropping and adding a watermark etc is automated in Photoshop, I have a few days scanning left then its just a matter of posting

How much more scanning/editing do you have left?

I have it all scanned and OCR'd. Just have tidy up the remaining OCR output and get the index into tabular format.