A Sheffield Shed

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Me, i make stuff for my two year old, anything with wheels or tracks, he loves it ! I also drink beer in there!

Also i make anything else that interests me, such as this -

Me, i make stuff for my two year old, anything with wheels or tracks, he loves it ! I also drink beer in there!

It looks like a seige engine, the cart is for carrying the rocks that were flung against the castle walls ???

Great model Dean, is it a kit or is it scratch built, looks impressive

There are lots of things I'd like to do in mine, a spot of woodwork or carving, sit with a beer and contemplate the trees outside the window... Unfortunately at this time of year I can't even get in the door for garden tools and furniture!

(My idea of a perfect shed was the one the Dad had in the Giles cartoons, a big rambling lean-to, big bench, tools hung on nails, bits of wood and shavings everywhere!)

Guest Trefcon

Seige engine Thylacine, and correct with the cart, although that was artistic license on my part. As to scale, no idea! saw it in a book and measured it off and doubled it !!

Ongoing projects are a WW1 Vickers machine gun, Challenger Mk2 tank and other stuff.

Another view of the Seige engine -

more to follow.

Guest Trefcon

Challenger MK 2.

Tracks to be 'V' belt, running in the wheel 'ruts', with nylon bread board pieces bolted to the belt, as track pads !

Challenger MK 2.

Tracks to be 'V' belt, running in the wheel 'ruts', with nylon bread board pieces bolted to the belt, as track pads !

Great stuff Dean, scale it up and it could be the answer to the defence cuts! Are you any good at aircraft carriers and reconnaisance aircraft by any chance?

Guest Trefcon

Nice one Peter,

we'll be back to Bows and catapults at this rate. I think its obscene what they have done to the military, and stupid.

A bit of construction kit this time -

It looks like a seige engine, the cart is for carrying the rocks that were flung against the castle walls ???

This particular type of siege engine is called a mangonel and it uses twisted ropes wound around its own frame to tension the throw.

There is also another design called the trebuchet which is powered by a weight falling under gravity to launch the throw.

However the most sophisticated design was the ballista which uses a stretched string tensioning a flexible wooden shaft to launch the throw. This design was like a very large scaled up version of a crossbow or longbow and its effects could be equally as devastating.

Guest Trefcon

I do have a very rough 'treb', a ballista is one i've always wanted a go at.

The stuff i make is OK i suppose, but i was hoping we might get those proper shed experts that turn out masterpeices, real 'shedware' !

The stuff i make is OK i suppose, but i was hoping we might get those proper shed experts that turn out masterpeices, real 'shedware' !

I wonder if you will appear in volume 2 Dean? ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Sheds-Gordon-Thorburn/dp/1843303299

At the annual Norfolk Park heritage fair held every August Bank Holiday there are always battle re-enactments from Civil War, American Civil War, WW2 etc.

The is also a Roman re-enactment and as part of their act they use a full size reconstruction of a ballista to fire at an archery target.

I thought I had a picture of it in action but all I can find is a movie clip (may try and capture a few stills to post)

It is an extremely powerful, accurate and fearsome weapon if ever there was one.

No wonder the Romans once ruled over half of Europe, - and hung onto it for half a millenium.

Looking at that fearsome machine reminded me of a steel testing machine that was installed at Stocksbridge Works many years ago. It was a variation of a well known test in which a heavy swinging arm was released from a fixed point and at the bottom of the arc an attached chisel device sheared a notched steel sample held tightly in a vice.

This German built machine was different in that strain-gauges were built into the chisel and connected to a digital storage oscilloscope which had a print-out. In this way additional information about the steel sample could be obtained.

It was installed and commissioned by German engineers. When we went to have a look at it they had installed it right by the side of the main door into the room.

At the first demonstration, the arm swung down, there was a loud crack followed within milliseconds by a bang as the broken-off sample piece was collected in a tin waste-paper basket they had taped to the top of a cardboard box across the other side of the door.

When we pointed out that the arrangement was unsafe they assured us that the equipment complied with European safety legislation.

They seemed quite unconcerned that a sharp piece of steel was flying at knee height at high speed across an entrance doorway.

We quickly arranged for a substantial steel deflector to be fitted between the machine and the doorway.

HD

At the annual Norfolk Park heritage fair held every August Bank Holiday there are always battle re-enactments from Civil War, American Civil War, WW2 etc.

The is also a Roman re-enactment and as part of their act they use a full size reconstruction of a ballista to fire at an archery target.

I thought I had a picture of it in action but all I can find is a movie clip (may try and capture a few stills to post)

It is an extremely powerful, accurate and fearsome weapon if ever there was one.

No wonder the Romans once ruled over half of Europe, - and hung onto it for half a millenium.

Is this the one Dave?

Is this the one Dave?

There was a programme on TV a while ago, I think it was one of the Hart Davis series, where they reconstructed a 'machine-gun' variant which fired metal bolts from a magazine mounted on top. Very impressive it was too!

There was a programme on TV a while ago, I think it was one of the Hart Davis series, where they reconstructed a 'machine-gun' variant which fired metal bolts from a magazine mounted on top. Very impressive it was too!

One that fires metal bolts <_<

Not with a TV camera mounted on top of it B)

"Heinz" (or "Bernie" depending on your age), "the bolt"

"Up a bit stop, left a bit stop, right a bit, up a bit more.....Fire!"

"Well Bob, Dave has scored 1 on the easy target and 2 on the moving target which gives him a total score of, uuum, eeer ...4, I think"

lol