Main Memories of Sheffield - The List

Sheffield History

I lived almost all my Sheffield life in S2... Park Hill, Hyde Park, Wybourn & the Lower Manor and the hammers were part of my life in Sheffield... as well as the heavy freight trains working hard to to climb out of Sheffield during the dead of night.

When I moved to Lincolnshire I struggled to sleep because the night was too quite without the hammers.

Can anyone remember the smell from the abbatiour on cricket inn road, always around lunchtime

Hi just looked up the Acorn - seems I was wrong about Club 60 not being a pub, although I don't remember the Acorn Inn as such, just the Club. It must have been in the cellar of the pub as we went into a door and straight downstairs to it. Just shows you how your memory plays tricks. ;-)

My so called "memories" of Sheffield Pubs relate to places that existed a full lifetime before I was born (I'm 46).

Guest shanes teeth

Can anyone remember the smell from the abbatiour on cricket inn road, always around lunchtime

The abbatoir and the Sheffield hyde and skin company.Riding my bike(Honda 400-4)down the Parkway I used to try to hold my breath as I rode past the back of the buildings!

My main memory is Wednesday winning stuff. Let's hope it is no longer a memory after this year! :P :)

Guest Unitedite

What about:-

Fitzallen Square, just as it used to be with Statute, Underground Toilets, Central Post Office, Cinema and Marples Pub.

AND

The Whistle + Bell Ringing out the last buses at Pond Street Bus Station as it used to be.

AND

Victoria Railway Station

AND

The United-Wednesday Derby Day Matches

Guest brian dany padley

we would love to see a photo of the old scales in the market, do's anyone have a link please??

Welcome to the site Brian, unless I'm mistaken you hit straight upon an image we don't have (I hope I'm proven wrong), same goes with a satisfactory image of Redgates (again, it might have been sorted, I've been here a while but there are plenty of things I miss).

Anyway, here's hoping; enjoy the site, contribute where and when you can and feel free to ask any questions - we don't mind if they have been asked before - there are plenty of people here willing and able to help.

Who operated the scales, does anyone remember a family name ? I'm a bit too young to remember much - I saw them, I was weighed on them as a child but that's about my lot.

Almost forgot - use the Sheffield History Google Search Tool - see my signature block (and many other people's - it's free - try entering

scales rag and tag

and other variations, hopefully you'll find some existing posts. If you need help - just ask. The "Tool" will also find shorterwords than the standard search facility my favourite is

who can tell

which finds ... well try it out for yourself.

"Free, polite, helpful", that's what it says on the Sheffield History tin. If we've not solved it yet, it's just on hold until some new member solves it for all of us.

we would love to see a photo of the old scales in the market, do's anyone have a link please??

Guest brian dany padley

Thanks folks, the scales were part of our growing up in the 60's... were both 50 next year and have memories of getting weighed, and we often speculate as to if we were in the queue at the same time!

...how sad! (the hours fly by in our house!)... lol

Thanks folks, the scales were part of our growing up in the 60's... were both 50 next year and have memories of getting weighed, and we often speculate as to if we were in the queue at the same time!

...how sad! (the hours fly by in our house!)... lol

The scales in the market were technically a balnce rather than a scale, and would be able to weigh you regardless of your weight very accurately.

However, in the 1960's Avery self weighing scales, which took an old penny in the top and had a large cicular dial at head height to read off your weight were quite common in various shops and places in the city.

They could weigh up to 20 stones maximum.

It amazes me that these days there are quite a few people who, if they used this type of scale would overload it and send the pointer round on a second orbit of the dial.

I suppose that says something about obesity in the modern world.

It amazes me that these days there are quite a few people who, if they used this type of scale would overload it and send the pointer round on a second orbit of the dial.

I suppose that says something about obesity in the modern world.

I hope you not thinking of any particular Sheffield History members Dave lol

I hope you not thinking of any particular Sheffield History members Dave lol

No,

I was thinking of someone we both knew who could have topped the 20 stone scales in the 1960's, but not a Sheffield History member.

Seventeen and a half ...

How tall are you?

Is that normal, overweight, obese, clinically obese or morbidly obese?

Are you in the green, yellow, orange or red region?

It all depends on your BMI (Body Mass Index)

What about Harrops Salve shop at the bottom end of Howard St? I never saw anybody working in there as I only got to town on a Saturday with my Dad but the inside of the shop on looking from the street, were shelves were stacked with hundreds of letters from all over the world rejoicing in the wonders of their Salve for removing callouses, corns and bunnions. Up against the window were a couple of narrow shelves holding the callouses, corns & bunnions that had been removed by their customers and subsequently sent to Harraps. Looking back now to the fifties the only equivalent I can give is they just looked like samples of Pork Scratchings . Never seen the like of this shop since.

I was talking to my Nephew a couple of weeks ago and these scales were mentioned and he told me that he saw these scales in a garage on someones drive just off Gleadless Common, I think it was around twenty years ago or more. It may have been on Durlstone Drive or near.

I was talking to my Nephew a couple of weeks ago and these scales were mentioned and he told me that he saw these scales in a garage on someones drive just off Gleadless Common, I think it was around twenty years ago or more. It may have been on Durlstone Drive or near.

I was once told, and it's some years ago,

that comedian Bobby Knutt was closely related to the people who owned or ran the scale business in the market

I was once told, and it's some years ago,

that comedian Bobby Knutt was closely related to the people who owned or ran the scale business in the market

I'm not a big fan of Knutty as I don't find him particularly funny.

According to the old testament book of Daniel, Chapter 5 verses 1 to 4 I bet the writing on the wall for knutty said

Mene, Mene, Tekel u-Pharsin

Which translates as, -

"You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting"

Guest shelagh scholfield

Having a cup of coffee at the A B C cinema,The cafe was up stairs .I had to save up for it.

Boiled sweety fish at the rag and tag.(SPICE)

The river Don bursting its banks

The Star Walk

Bonfire night

The Boat Race on the River Don. Watched through the rails on Nursery Walk.

Watching the women using the big rollers to iron the sheets at the Infirmary hospital.Viewed from a window at street level to the basement.

Our nature walk from Philadelphia school took us to the steel works on Rutland Rd.(the heat was unbearable)

Watching the men make coffins at Tomlinsons in the basement.I can still smell the saw dust.

Taking the flowers from Tomlinsons dump.(They were from the funeral hearsts)

Playing on the bombed site on Cross bedford St.

This is just a small amount of memory, I wont bore you with the rest but I have to add that the saddest memory is of men filling their billy cans with tea and sugar and walking to work to the various furnaces.So sad it is gone.

That's a pretty good set of memories! Two stand out for me, the Star Walk and the Boat race on the Don.

We lived at Firvale and the Star Walk (if I remember rightly) went through Page Hall Rd and /or Firth Park Road. Our whole family went along, though I don't think we ever knew any of the competitors. It ranks alongside the Whit walk and Whit sing as one of those things we did every year.

Was the Boat Race part of Rag Week? Given the state of the Don in those days they could almost have walked on it! I wonder if the participants were well innoculated?

What happened to Rag Week? A week full of student stunts, some plain daft, and some quite cleverly thought out, culminating in the rag parade.

Guest Trefcon

Main memory is of going to bed and being lulled into sleep with the thud of the Drop Hammer from the East End, it still 'does it' for me now!!

Fishing at Crabtree Pond.

Osgathorpe Cottage ruins, the playing on thus.

Smiths Field, seeing Def Leppard perform there on our bonfire night!!

Roe Woods.

Wincobank Hill, a full day to get to the top when we were young!

Sutherland Road baths and the dreaded Mr Scott !!

In my dads lorry going all over the country with him in the school holidays.

The demolition of De La Selle College.

The clearance of the Osgathorpe Allottments to create Osgathorpe Park.

Walking through 'Fiery Jack', the tunnel now covered by Tesco!

Firshill School/Firth Park School.

Rag Week.

Circus at the end of the Wicker, don't know what year that was.

Seeing the Christmas lights from the bottom of the Moor to Castle Market.

Sunday days out with my grandfather riding shotgun in a convoy of about a dozen family cars to Derbyshire/Chatsworth.

ABC Minors on a Saturday morning, bring yer birthday cards and you got on the stage!

Pitsmoor Scouts on Roe Lane.

Army Cadets at Norbury Hall on Mondays, them the camps we went on, Aldershot, Strensall, Proteus etc.

Chips, gravy, fishcake in the rain after the Carwood Hotel, Corner Pin and Hallcar Tavern at Jimmy Lou's Chinese at Pitsmoor, best ever, and also the best people ever.

and loads more that make me who and what I am, and so proud to be from Sheffield.

Jonathon Silvers

South Sea Bubble

..both clothes shops.

The smell of Stones Brewery coming into town up The Wicker.

Daveys Posh Tea Rooms at the top of Fargate.

Saturday morning Kids Disco at the Top Rank...............dancing to Wooly Bully!!

Oh my god I had forgotten about Sat mornings at Top Rank - Wooly Bully & Hi Ho Silver Lining!!!!

Friday night pub crawls around Sheffield city centre - Wig & Pen, Stonehouse, Bar Rio, Black Swan (better known as the Dirty Duck) and then finishing off in Romeo & Juliets, I was only 17 so got on the bus for 2p but R&Js had a strict over 21 policy but I never had a problem getting in :)