Main Memories of Sheffield - The List

Sheffield History

Friday night pub crawls around Sheffield city centre - Wig & Pen, Stonehouse, Bar Rio, Black Swan (better known as the Dirty Duck) and then finishing off in Romeo & Juliets, I was only 17 so got on the bus for 2p but R&Js had a strict over 21 policy but I never had a problem getting in :)

You obviously are from the posh end of town Gord, the Black swan was better known as t'Mucky Duck! ;-)

I think that I'm having a senior moment at the moment :) .

I've been thinking about the weighing machine in the Rag and Tag and I'm sure that I can remember two different machines.

One of them required the customer to sit in a plush chair like arrangement while the weigher placed weights on a flat pan at the side, and slid another small weight along a graduated bar to obtain a balance. The framework was brass but I can't remember that this machine had a superstructure.

The other machine I remember had the four brass legs forming a "quadpod" and I thought the weight was read off a large circular scale above your head.

This machine had napha flares which were lit in the late afternoon in winter. The light from them seemed to be flickering and seemed to my young eyes (at that time :rolleyes: ) as very oldy worldy.

Perhaps these machines were there at different times, or perhaps they were one and the same machine

It was a long time ago !

HD

Guest plain talker

Friday night pub crawls around Sheffield city centre - Wig & Pen, Stonehouse, Bar Rio, Black Swan (better known as the Dirty Duck) and then finishing off in Romeo & Juliets, I was only 17 so got on the bus for 2p but R&Js had a strict over 21 policy but I never had a problem getting in :)

When I was young and daft, that was pretty much the route we took. Fountain Bar (AKA the Pig and Whistle), The Museum, The Stone House and the Old Blue Bell, and then the Marples, usually.

We called the Old Blue Bell, on High Street "The playpen" cos there was so many under-agers there. (:Blush: my self included.

Two machines would make sense, the operator offered to guess your weight for a penny and would need some means to back up her guess. I was about 6 at the time, so whilst it was an equally long time ago, I had less years on the clock and almost no memory of the rag 'n' tag.

Good grief the Pig and Whistle ! Now there's a place I've never been in...

When I was young and daft, that was pretty much the route we took. Fountain Bar (AKA the Pig and Whistle), The Museum, The Stone House and the Old Blue Bell, and then the Marples, usually.

We called the Old Blue Bell, on High Street "The playpen" cos there was so many under-agers there. (:Blush: my self included.

Guest plain talker
two things that spring to mind are both smells, Whitbreads on brewing day and Simpkins boiling their sweets...

yes. I remember that lovely, malt-y sort of smell wafting up towards Fitzalan Square along haymarket!

yes. I remember that lovely, malt-y sort of smell wafting up towards Fitzalan Square along haymarket!

It was a very strange smell and on some days could be quite overpowering, another smell from when i was a kid was of coffee being brewed somewhere down near Castle Market. It smelled gorgeous

Has anyone mentioned Jacks down off Langsett Road, I remember going their with my dad around 1967, the sarsaparilla was not to my taste but the place was a great little cafe

Guest plain talker
It was a very strange smell and on some days could be quite overpowering, another smell from when i was a kid was of coffee being brewed somewhere down near Castle Market. It smelled gorgeous

Would that have been from Davys Cafe perhaps, on the corner of Castle Street and Haymarket?

Would that have been from Davys Cafe perhaps, on the corner of Castle Street and Haymarket?

I think it must have been, I think they must have also done toasted teacakes because that was mixed in with the smell

my pub crawl started out on West Street from the Beehive, then the Saddle, down to the Three Tuns, then Museum, round to the Stone House and finish off in the Penthouse, sometimes a call would be made into the Mulberry but it was normally rammed in there

Gossips next to Berlins, you could always get an extra hour drinkin when everywhere else was shuttin if you got in 10 mins before closing time.

The old Parkway market. Years ago footballers from both Wednesday and United used to work there in the early hours before going training in the days before silly wages.