Main Memories of Sheffield - The List

Sheffield History

No one seems to have mentioned the Star Walk, which was as Sheffield as you could get.

You're right, as right as right can be, my own version of Sheffield History kinda fades out about 1900, but those Sheffield Walks are just as important a memory to one and all, just like The Lord Mayor's Parade, Redgates, Fish and chips and the local footie teams and their triumphs and disasters over the years ...

You've posted a memory for us all, well done to you, I hadn't thought of the Star Walk for 30 years :rolleyes:

No one seems to have mentioned the Star Walk, which was as Sheffield as you could get.

You have to take the time to look through all the pages and you should find the topics you are looking for

Star Walk

Another early (for me) Sheffield memory was going to watch the Rag Week boat races

from Hillfoot Bridge. This would have been about 1966/67.

Another early (for me) Sheffield memory was going to watch the Rag Week boat races

from Hillfoot Bridge. This would have been about 1966/67.

There are some great photos in this section

Rag Week

Bunnys was on the LH side just past the kiosk on the way into Castle Market from the pedestrianed area off Waingate.

Sorry for the poor description... I can see the shop now, just difficult to put the image into words.

When I was a kid their shop was in the old Snig Hill. This would be the early/mid 1950's.

Guest sajrp

We are looking to put together a huge list of things that stick in the memory about the city's past when the word 'Sheffield' is mentioned

Here's a list to get you started..

The Lord Mayors Parade

The Hole in the Road

Redgates Toy Shop

Legends/Crazy Daisy Bar

The Walking Man Statue (from underneath the egg box town hall extension)

Bendibuses

The old tramp at the bottom of Waingate at Lady's Bridge who used to shout at buildings or the sky !

Millhouses lido/paddling pools

Bradley's Records

Harringtons

Redgates

Pauldens

Beatties Model Shop

Sexy Rexy's

Tramps

Wilson Peck

Pippys

Philip Cann the Music Man

Violet Mays

Revolution Records

Vallances

Cockaynes

Schofields

Walsh's

Chelsea Girl

Rebina Shoes

Colvins

GAME on the corner of Pinstone Street

Rebels Nightclub

Wolf Records in Hole In The Road

The Morning Telegraph morning newspaper

The old South Yorkshire Transport logo

2p Bus Fare

Maces pet store at Castle Market

Goodwin Fountain on Fargate

The Wedding Cake registry office

The Old Peace Gardens

Sheaf Valley Baths & 'The Top Splash'

sheffield show in hillsborough park

Megabowl @ Wadsley Bridge

Wigfalls

Harringtons in the market

Beatties on Pinstone Street

The uncovered kop at Hillsborough

Gaumont Cinema

The ABC Cinema on Snig Hill/Corner of Angel Street

the Anvil cinema

Sheaf Market

The sleigh ride that took you to see Father Christmas at the Co op

Suggs Sports

Kelvin Flats

Roxy's Nightclub

coffee/cream coloured SYT buses (see pic !)

Kenny's Records on the Wicker

machines on buses you put coins in which are then printed on the ticket (Videmat machines)

Fletchers bakery vans

Millionaires Nightclub

STUDIO 5-6-7

Paddle boats in Hillsborough park

The Marples

The Electronic Map of Sheffield City Centre - Pond Street

The smell of barley or hops, or whatever it was, from the brewery at lady's bridge.

Skin heads hanging round the markets

The dialling code - 0742 !

Tramps on King Street

Hartley Seeds book shop on west street

ABC minors on a saturday

The International Aquatics Centre - Shalesmoor

The Twikker

The 'Mushroom' in Pond Street

Silver Blades speedskate !

Eager Beaver/ Little Nipper buses

the classic cinema in fitzallan sqare

Tuckwoods restaurant

kiki's nightclub

The Star being a full broadsheet size

Chelsea Girl on Fargate

The houses on the bottom of Bradfield Rd, Hillsborough (now a pizza hut)

Tandys in the Hole In The Road

violet may's record shop, near the old sheaf market

Wimpy bar restaurants (with tomato shaped ketchup bottles)

Wig & Pen

Berlins

The Mojo

The Minerva/The Yorkshire Grey

the Fiesta

The old Berni Inn that used to be in Exchange Street in the late1970's/early1980 (called the old no.12)

Hot Roast Chestnuts outside of the Bus Station

The Penny Black

Club Wow and Branningans

'Lurch' the doorman @ Josephines

GT News in the arcade at Hillsborough

Coles Corner

Violet May's record shop - Duke Street

There you go...

Does anyone have anymore ?

:rolleyes:

Cairo Jax & Silks, Grab a granny night on thursdays at the roxy, Greasy Vera's, timpson's shoes, wigfalls, BHS

Guest transit

Cairo Jax & Silks, Grab a granny night on thursdays at the roxy, Greasy Vera's, timpson's shoes, wigfalls, BHS

Dempsey"s shoe shop on Park Hill.....and a strange one , (not connected!) .....IZAL toilet paper!

Dempsey"s shoe shop on Park Hill.....and a strange one , (not connected!) .....IZAL toilet paper!

Dempseys had all those old fashioned wood and glass display cabinets, looked a bit out of place on Park Hill... The chippy round the opposite side of the building, and the barbers shop and optician on the balcony above :)

Happy memories

Guest plain talker

Wasn't dempseys the very end shop of the middle block of shops, opposite shentalls, with two entrances, one on Shentall's side and one on the upper side, where the co-op stores were?

Bunnys was on the LH side just past the kiosk on the way into Castle Market from the pedestrianed area off Waingate.

Sorry for the poor description... I can see the shop now, just difficult to put the image into words.

This may help

Guest transit

Dempseys had all those old fashioned wood and glass display cabinets, looked a bit out of place on Park Hill... The chippy round the opposite side of the building, and the barbers shop and optician on the balcony above :)

Happy memories

I remember the balcony above - with the dreaded DENTIST ! - then run by Mr Littlewood .

This may help

Now you've posted the picture, I can remember the shop - bought my wrangler denim jacket from there.

What about Rock Night at the Roxy! used to be every 1st Monday of the month (If I remember right) Found an old tee shirt with the Roxy logo on last week, the things we save eh!

Remember the Whit sing at Weston Park, walking down behind the banners from Broomhill dressed as a May Queen (shame)

The Empire Theatre and the infamous EL MAMBO cafe next to the stage door. I was forbidden to go in that cafe by my parents who said they had read it was a bad place. Anyone ever go in it?

My dad once heard the my older brother was at the El Mambo and he went down there and booted the brother all the way home. A little later I went in there and found they had a juke box and sold frothy coffee an thats all, shows what a reputation can cause even when it's ill founded. Hope I was more understanding with my kids

We are looking to put together a huge list of things that stick in the memory about the city's past when the word 'Sheffield' is mentioned

:rolleyes:

Gloops Club run by the Star and Telegraph, whenever we were bored and in town we would go into the Star office near Coles corner and join and get a little badge and a certificate. Must have joined 50 times or more.

Does anyone still have a badge, cos a photo of it would be good.

The other one for the list was Walsh's moving stairs, as far as I know the first ones in Sheffield about 1955, we used to go there after the pictures at the Star and run up the down side etc till the bloke chucked us out - those were the days, I have trouble going up the up side of moving stairs these days

Guest tsavo

Gloops Club run by the Star and Telegraph, whenever we were bored and in town we would go into the Star office near Coles corner and join and get a little badge and a certificate. Must have joined 50 times or more.

Does anyone still have a badge, cos a photo of it would be good.

The other one for the list was Walsh's moving stairs, as far as I know the first ones in Sheffield about 1955, we used to go there after the pictures at the Star and run up the down side etc till the bloke chucked us out - those were the days, I have trouble going up the up side of moving stairs these days

Here it is...

Here it is...

Hey thanks Tsavo, what great memories you stirred.

Anyway, what was Gloops supposed to be, was he a cat, can't really tel from the pic though.

Guest tsavo

Good question John, never thought to queery that! Gloops has Cat like ears, and maybe crossed with something friendly out of Ghostbusters?

Guest TexxUK

I was a member of the the "Gloops Club" as was my father before me. Somewhere in the house I've got an old enameled badge with word "THMILE" on it. Here's a few scans of the other bits I could find.

The membership card is mine.

Guest shazaroony

Happy memories

Did Dempseys just sell shoes ? My old man seems to remember buying some jeans from there (early 70s) or maybe that was another shop on the Park Hill precinct?