Main Memories of Sheffield - The List

Sheffield History

We are looking to put together a huge list of things that stick in the memory about the city's past when the word 'Sheffield' is mentioned

Here's a list to get you started..

The Lord Mayors Parade

The Hole in the Road

Redgates Toy Shop

Legends/Crazy Daisy Bar

The Walking Man Statue (from underneath the egg box town hall extension)

Bendibuses

The old tramp at the bottom of Waingate at Lady's Bridge who used to shout at buildings or the sky !

Millhouses lido/paddling pools

Bradley's Records

Harringtons

Redgates

Pauldens

Beatties Model Shop

Sexy Rexy's

Tramps

Wilson Peck

Pippys

Philip Cann the Music Man

Violet Mays

Revolution Records

Vallances

Cockaynes

Schofields

Walsh's

Chelsea Girl

Rebina Shoes

Colvins

GAME on the corner of Pinstone Street

Rebels Nightclub

Wolf Records in Hole In The Road

The Morning Telegraph morning newspaper

The old South Yorkshire Transport logo

2p Bus Fare

Maces pet store at Castle Market

Goodwin Fountain on Fargate

The Wedding Cake registry office

The Old Peace Gardens

Sheaf Valley Baths & 'The Top Splash'

sheffield show in hillsborough park

Megabowl @ Wadsley Bridge

Wigfalls

Harringtons in the market

Beatties on Pinstone Street

The uncovered kop at Hillsborough

Gaumont Cinema

The ABC Cinema on Snig Hill/Corner of Angel Street

the Anvil cinema

Sheaf Market

The sleigh ride that took you to see Father Christmas at the Co op

Suggs Sports

Kelvin Flats

Roxy's Nightclub

coffee/cream coloured SYT buses (see pic !)

Kenny's Records on the Wicker

machines on buses you put coins in which are then printed on the ticket (Videmat machines)

Fletchers bakery vans

Millionaires Nightclub

STUDIO 5-6-7

Paddle boats in Hillsborough park

The Marples

The Electronic Map of Sheffield City Centre - Pond Street

The smell of barley or hops, or whatever it was, from the brewery at lady's bridge.

Skin heads hanging round the markets

The dialling code - 0742 !

Tramps on King Street

Hartley Seeds book shop on west street

ABC minors on a saturday

The International Aquatics Centre - Shalesmoor

The Twikker

The 'Mushroom' in Pond Street

Silver Blades speedskate !

Eager Beaver/ Little Nipper buses

the classic cinema in fitzallan sqare

Tuckwoods restaurant

kiki's nightclub

The Star being a full broadsheet size

Chelsea Girl on Fargate

The houses on the bottom of Bradfield Rd, Hillsborough (now a pizza hut)

Tandys in the Hole In The Road

violet may's record shop, near the old sheaf market

Wimpy bar restaurants (with tomato shaped ketchup bottles)

Wig & Pen

Berlins

The Mojo

The Minerva/The Yorkshire Grey

the Fiesta

The old Berni Inn that used to be in Exchange Street in the late1970's/early1980 (called the old no.12)

Hot Roast Chestnuts outside of the Bus Station

The Penny Black

Club Wow and Branningans

'Lurch' the doorman @ Josephines

GT News in the arcade at Hillsborough

Coles Corner

Violet May's record shop - Duke Street

There you go...

Does anyone have anymore ?

:rolleyes:

A few more for your list.

Taking trains from Victoria Station and the steps that went from the Wicker up to the platforms.

SUT tours in Pond Street where we always got the coaches to away games.

A number of Department Stores, Cockaynes, Walshes,Robert Brothers and Pauldens(which became Debanhams)

The Sidewalk Cafe on Chapel Walk.

The Centre Spot Cafe on Snig Hill

Longley Park Swimming Baths

The Kop at Hillsborugh without a roof.

Watching Yorkshire play Cricket at Bramall Lane.

Buse on the Moor and Fargate.

The original Trams.

Sexy Rexy

The original Mullberry Tavern.

The Old Blue Bell

The Haufbrauhauss.

The Wapentake

More to follow as I remember them.

A few that spring to mind

1. The large brass weighing scales in the Rag n Tag market.

2. Motor Launch on Crookes Valley Park boating lake.

3. Sat upstairs on a 71 bus in Pond Street (chokin on the *** smoke) waiting for the ride home to Norfolk Park Estate.

4. Large Polar Bear in Weston Park Museum (the one standing on all fours, not the later (baby) one.

5. Eating a saucer of cockles 6d in the Sheaf Market.

I'll think of more....

6. Sliding down the dry grassy banks in Crookes Valley Park on bits of card board box.

7. Hours spent in Rivelin in the summer holidays, swimming and running about and the feeling of being fit and healthy, something that you dont get in adult life.

Guest daveyboy66

Samantha's all nighters

Firth Park "donkey hill"

Blue sky only seen in sheffield during the works weeks

The Claymore

Top Rank under 16s Tuesdays

Watching Yorkshire at bramall lane

Samantha's all nighters

Firth Park "donkey hill"Blue sky only seen in sheffield during the works weeks

The Claymore

Top Rank under 16s Tuesdays

Watching Yorkshire at bramall lane

Do you remember 10p Mondays at Samathathas every drink 10p

I'd forgotten about donkey hill used to play up there as a kid. Are you from round there Davey???

Another frequent haunt as a teen.

Guest J R Wrigley

Re: The Hole in the Road:

There is a photograph in the book "A Sheffield Camera" taken with a panoramic camera. (page 31)

The preferred name is Castle Square - we seem to becoming rather pretentious about our city and squares are the order of the day - Park Square, Sheaf Square, Charter Square, Furnival Square etc. Most of them are circular in shape but geometry was never a strong point with city planners.

Wow - I love that picture of the post office and the telephone boxes !!

I forgot they were so many of them there.

And just look how imposing the Hyde Park flats were - looming over our city and watching down on us

And the old shape bins too - I remember those well !

Guest Dazza

Jonathon Silvers

South Sea Bubble

..both clothes shops.

The smell of Stones Brewery coming into town up The Wicker.

Daveys Posh Tea Rooms at the top of Fargate.

Saturday morning Kids Disco at the Top Rank...............dancing to Wooly Bully!!

HOWS ABART DARNALL ERNEST AT DARNALL MEDICAL AID OR DUKE OF DARNALL WHO USED TO TAKE P---OUT OF COPPERS ON POINT DUTY,HANDLE BAR HANK THE COPPER IN ATTERCLIFFE WITH HIS BIG GINGER TASH, BANNERS WITH THERE CHEQUES, CARTERS LITTLE LIVER PILLS,CARLINES

THE FIRST SUPERMARKET IN SHEFFIED? PIERPOINTS VEGY SHOP."WAS THEY RELATED TO HANGY MAN"? WHAT ABOUT RITZ WITH COMMISIONER GEORGE IN HIS SMART BLUE AND GOLD UNIFORM,BASSETS LIQUORICE ALLSORTS,BATCHELORS PEAS, MARY GENTLES CHIPPY. THE POSH BARNEY GOODMANS, BARLEYCORN AND ATHOL PUBS, WHERE WE WAS TOLD TO KEEP AWAY FROM

BY MA AND PA,HIPPODROME,WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO NAT (RUBBER NECK) JACKLEY, WARDS BEER, BLANCHARDS, MAILCOACH, COACHHOUSE,LACARNO (THINK I SPELT IT REET).

GOT ED EAK, BUT IL KEEP THINKIN.

Guest tsavo

HOWS ABART DARNALL ERNEST AT DARNALL MEDICAL AID OR DUKE OF DARNALL WHO USED TO TAKE P---OUT OF COPPERS ON POINT DUTY,HANDLE BAR HANK THE COPPER IN ATTERCLIFFE WITH HIS BIG GINGER TASH, BANNERS WITH THERE CHEQUES, CARTERS LITTLE LIVER PILLS,CARLINES

THE FIRST SUPERMARKET IN SHEFFIED? PIERPOINTS VEGY SHOP."WAS THEY RELATED TO HANGY MAN"? WHAT ABOUT RITZ WITH COMMISIONER GEORGE IN HIS SMART BLUE AND GOLD UNIFORM,BASSETS LIQUORICE ALLSORTS,BATCHELORS PEAS, MARY GENTLES CHIPPY. THE POSH BARNEY GOODMANS, BARLEYCORN AND ATHOL PUBS, WHERE WE WAS TOLD TO KEEP AWAY FROM

BY MA AND PA,HIPPODROME,WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO NAT (RUBBER NECK) JACKLEY, WARDS BEER, BLANCHARDS, MAILCOACH, COACHHOUSE,LACARNO (THINK I SPELT IT REET).

GOT ED EAK, BUT IL KEEP THINKIN.

Yes the Pierepoints did own that shop and it was the family who provided England's hangman. I also read somewhere that the executioner of Charles the First, was possibly a Sheffield man, but don't know if he also had a veggie business!!

Guest deano

hi everyone

does anybody in pitsmoor or the surrounding areas, remember being lulled into sleep every night by the gentle BOOM BOOM BOOM of the drop hammer from the steelworks in the east end?

Main memory, leaving home walking up a steep hill to the corner shop to buy some milk, then leaving the shop and walking back up the hill to get back home - how did that work ?

Hills basically.

Main memory, leaving home walking up a steep hill to the corner shop to buy some milk, then leaving the shop and walking back up the hill to get back home - how did that work ?

Hills basically.

RichardB you crack me up.

Sheffeld wouldn't be Sheffeld without the hills, valleys, rivers, brooks and streams (oh almost forgot the dams and ponds)

hi everyone

does anybody in pitsmoor or the surrounding areas, remember being lulled into sleep every night by the gentle BOOM BOOM BOOM of the drop hammer from the steelworks in the east end?

I lived almost all my Sheffield life in S2... Park Hill, Hyde Park, Wybourn & the Lower Manor and the hammers were part of my life in Sheffield... as well as the heavy freight trains working hard to to climb out of Sheffield during the dead of night.

When I moved to Lincolnshire I struggled to sleep because the night was too quite without the hammers.

Yes the Pierepoints did own that shop and it was the family who provided England's hangman. I also read somewhere that the executioner of Charles the First, was possibly a Sheffield man, but don't know if he also had a veggie business!!

There were three Pierrepoints from the same family who held the position of Public Hangman. Rather them than me.

The Empire Theatre and the infamous EL MAMBO cafe next to the stage door. I was forbidden to go in that cafe by my parents who said they had read it was a bad place. Anyone ever go in it?

How about

Pagets cheques (get a "cheque" for 5 quid and pay it off a shilling a week)

Hillsborough Cinema (Proctor Place) & Hillsborough Kinema (where Netto is by Leppings Lane) AND the pie shop nearby on Middlewood Road with the big ovens in the back parlour! - Saw many a Cliff Richard or Elvis movie there with my mum and then had pie & peas with mint sauce on the way home!

Live bands on Friday nights at Silver Blades, Queens Road (never skated, just walked round and round the perimeter checking out all the lads - seem to remember going to both Wednesday AND United matches for pretty much the same reason!)

The annual funfair on Wadsley Common with rides that would never pass any safety inspection!

Police boxes all over the place - I think only the Town Hall box remains these days. Not to mention bobbies wearing big capes and riding bicycles!

Studio 7 cinema on The Wicker

Rock bands touring every winter and seeing 3 bands for 70p in the top tier at the City Hall - bands like Chicken Shack, Lindisfarne, Mott the Hoople, Curved Air, Family, Rory Gallagher... to name but a few.

Saturday mornings in the listening booths at Wilson Pecks.

Oh I could go on..............

Just thought of a couple more......

Potty Edwards in the Sheaf market - throwing dinner services in the air & catching 'em

Pond Street Nora shouting abuse at everyone

Meeting by the fish tank in the hole in the road for every night on the town

Saturday shopping in Castle Market with mum - which always included a cuppa & toasted teacake in Mary's Cafe under the stairs near the Market Tavern (mum helped clear tables & wash up if they were busy) + a plate of cockles in the fish market.

Buying all our clothes from Bunny's (where WAS that? can't remember!)

Jack's Sarsaparilla shop on Langsett Road (which had a fluorescent Durex ad in the window so we never dared go in)

Coronation Cafe (opposite the Kelvin & now part of Langsett Cyles) where I misspent some of my youth with all the bikers who frequented it - until the skinheads came down from The Ark and wrecked it.

Aaah...so much more stuff to remember.........

Buying all our clothes from Bunny's (where WAS that? can't remember!)

Bunnys was on the LH side just past the kiosk on the way into Castle Market from the pedestrianed area off Waingate.

Sorry for the poor description... I can see the shop now, just difficult to put the image into words.

hi everyone

WELCOME DEANO. YES REMEMBER THE DROP HAMMERS VERY WELL,BUT THI WUR QUIET TO THE ONES I WORKED ON. THEY WERE SPRING HAMMERS THAT MADE A NOISE WHEN THEY WERNT WORKIN. NO EAR MUFFS IN THEM DAYS,JUST A BIT OF COTTON WOOL. NO WONDER I'M DEF.

USED TO SIT WI MI NEES ROUND STEEL BLOCK SO THAT VIBRATION HELPT MI SOOR NEES AFTER PLAIN FOOTY AT WEEKEND.

Guest coffee cup

The One O Clock Buzzer, I remember hearing this every school day at one O clock on my way back to school (wisewood) It came from down Hillsborough, could have been fletchers or Bassets, not sure, Does anyone else remember hearing it or know where it came from ?

:unsure: :unsure:

The One O Clock Buzzer, I remember hearing this every school day at one O clock on my way back to school (wisewood) It came from down Hillsborough, could have been fletchers or Bassets, not sure, Does anyone else remember hearing it or know where it came from ?

:unsure::unsure:

SURE DO,AND YOU WERE RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY BASSETS.