Main Memories of Sheffield - The List

Sheffield History

Guest witch74

I remember when they used to have The Moor The Merrier. I used to get quite excited when i heard the jingle for it on radio hallam! They used to have all sorts of rides n stuff for kids..great fun and a big sheffield memory for me.

Guest transit

Cant believe nobody"s mentioned the much loved cream and blue Sheffield Transport coloured buses and trams ........ :o

Guest eightbelow

The Limit

Radio Hallam's money mountain

Bonfire night at Firth Park

Dodgy fair's

Concord sports centre

Harrington's

Saturday morning movies at the ABC

Pond street bus station

The public TV station that broadcast from the Sheffield show, can't remember the name

The miners strike

Bus strikes

The winter of 76, days off school as they couldn't keep the schools warm

Playing tennis during wimbledon

Sheffield as the centre of the world because of the snooker at the crucible

banging hammers heard in grimesthorpe

Whit walks

Frank White at the Penguin

The smell of stale wee wee and finding empty gluebags in page hall

Terry Curran

Tony Currie

Big Jack

Replays against Arsenal

Sheffield Eagles

Rag week

Hills and bad paper rounds

The sheffield gazzete and burning copies we should have delivered

Banners

Christmas clubs

Seb Coe

santa's grotto at the Co op

The Human League

Clock DVA

Comsat Angles

Cabaret Voltaire

Heaven 17

and Sheffield being the best place in the world to grow up in, feeling sorry for people who lived i Rotherham and Barnsley!

Guest tsavo

The public TV station that broadcast from the Sheffield show, can't remember the name.

Sheffield Cablevision

In the early 50s, being woken by the sound of whistle blowing express trains thundering through Neepsend. Then of coarse there were the detonaters exploding when it was foggy.

:rolleyes:

The icecream lady outside the Infirmary gates on Infirmary Rd.

She had a cart with two long handles and no refridgeration then but it didn't seem to melt fast, how did they do that?

Anyone remeber the whistle in Pond Street for the last bus,

Maces pet shop in rag and tag market,

Mushroom kiosk in Pond Street..

I remember the Bier Kellar on High Street ( got done for buying a mate who was underage a beer in there) and the late night burger Hut next to the Classic Cinema in Fitzalan Square guaranteed to give you a bad stomach next morning (Ok it could have been the beer as well). Don`t know why but my wife used to call the Burger Hut "Twerpy Truffles"

'dex' post' date 'Oct 25 2008, 12:01 AM I remember the Bier Kellar on High Street ( got done for buying a mate who was underage a beer in there) and the late night burger Hut next to the Classic Cinema in Fitzalan Square guaranteed to give you a bad stomach next morning (Ok it could have been the beer as well). Don`t know why but my wife used to call the Burger Hut Twerpy Truffles

Very surprised you all forgot this, some will say useless, others will say important, How could you!! among other things, expats are sure to recall this when reminiscent of Sheffield ,and if you don't solve this puzzle you're nonplussed. [ clue search the heads from start to finish] Skeets.

The Bier Kellar became the "Crazy Daisy" don't remember the Burger Hut though. We used to eat at "Greasy Veras" van at the end of Corparation Street after a night on the town

:rolleyes: what about bar rio
The Jazz and Big Band concerts at the City Hall in the fifties,the famous American singers and jazz stars, and the immortal Ted Heath and His Music.

I was very pleased so see Tuckwoods mentioned,my late and much missed Mum worked there for many years and her knowledge of catering and cooking was legendary within our family, when I started courting my Wife many years ago she was amazed and fascinated watching Mum cut slices of bread with a saw bread knife all the same perfect thickness and symetry,and watch her setting out the table for family parties and get-togethers, all done with ease,care and it all looking fanastic.

Not so much of a Sheffield memory but special to me.

Guest shanes teeth

Golden Egg

The donkey ride in Atkinsons

Tomato dips

The Albert

Boats on Forge Dam

Dripping cakes

Chocolate Kabin

The Minerva

Shades

Wakefields army stores

Classic cinema

Lonsdale Universal

Silver Blades and Bowling

Abbeydale cinema

Temperance bar Abbeydale Rd

Greystones cinema

Ryans at Bents Green

Chippy Johns

I only meant to do one or two but one makes you remember another-great thread!

Guest plain talker

I remember hot summer days at Millhouses lido, where the punters were crammed in like sardines, virtually shoulder to shoulder.

I remember me and my best friend "ladding it" on a Saturday morning in Granelli's balcony bar, upstairs in the "new" Sheaf Market, sharing a chip butty and a glass of cola. If you got a seat on the very outer tables overlooking the market, it was ace. I remember the different coloured moulded plastic tables, and the umberellas on the ones nearest the boundary wall. (ususally after going to either the "minors matineé or swimming at Sheaf Valley Baths.

I remember the wimpy bar on Pinstone Street (currently a building society)

As a small child I remember the huge "event" of my mother treating me to lunch "out" at Davy's restaurant. We'd usually meet my uncle, there, (my mother's "big" brother) when he came to visit, from Birmingham.

Guest Caroleve

:rolleyes: what about bar rio

J Lodge Epns Ltd, Solly street. Patrick Mcgoohan: Danger Man/ Prisoner.. would love to know about anyone who has worked in the cutlery business and come out of it to start in the new technology businesses that are growing up around Sheffield.. looking at those experiencing the changes and how the people of Sheffield are adapting to them.. thanks X

Guest BUXT0NGENT

"The Nameless Restaurant" where was that?

If you looked from the City Hall Steps towards Coles (Still Coles , not john Lewis) it was on the Street to the right of Coles, just before you reach Coles Sports. They served the most superb honeyed Pork Ribs. Yumm.

To add to the list,

The Lions in the City Hall Auditorium.

The announcer on the Midland announcing our train to Elsie Car, and Woomb well, and then Barnsley. rather embarrasing if you had a young bird with you!

The sweet stall in the entrance to the Fish Market

The spice fish and mint rock they sold there.

Most of all though are the old Sheffield Trams!!!

Glad someone mentioned The Abbeydale - great picture house and there used to be a sasparilla shop nearby, used to go there with my gran

What was the name of the coffee shop near there?

Does anyone remember "Club 60" down Shalesmoor

Nether Edge Dance Hall

Byron House Pub

The old police box at Nether Edge up at the top near the allotments (didn't Roger Moffat paint it red, white and blue or something)

Roger Moffat (DJ on radio Sheffield)

Nether Edge Hospital

Broadfield Road swimming baths

SNOW - lots of it sometimes

Victoria Station (think that's what it was called)

Ponsfords

Jo Cocker

Sheffield Speedway

Samuel Osborn steelworks

:blink:

Welcome Ellesse, I don't remember Club 60 as Club 60, but you can investigate its earlier history in the Pubs thread, look for Acorn (there may be a few more there to interest you).

I thought Moffat painted a lamp-post but I'm more than willing to be wrong.

You input and posts are most appreciated, hope you've got some terribly hard questions to pose, the place as a whole needs a challenge.

Enjoy SheffieldHistory.co.uk, it's free, polite, imformative and if you can think of a real stinker of a question, then great, we get to wind Tsavo up - with is always fun lol

Yes, it was a lamp post now I think about it. Club 60 wasn't a pub it was a music place down in the cellar of a building on Shalesmoor in the 1960's, hence the name. Very smokey and loud, but great music.

Hi just looked up the Acorn - seems I was wrong about Club 60 not being a pub, although I don't remember the Acorn Inn as such, just the Club. It must have been in the cellar of the pub as we went into a door and straight downstairs to it. Just shows you how your memory plays tricks. ;-)