Ash Farm Gleadless

duckweed

As part of my interest in the surname Appleyard (in the fact I actually am one) I came accross this family who lived at the farm. Sadly it's not good news for them. They crop up a lot on the Sheffield Indexers burial records, were a lot of their children died very young. Perhaps that well water wasn't too good!

Anyway Edward and Sarah had at least 7 kids. Emma b1828, Mary Ann b1832, William b1830, Sarah b1834, Ann b1835, Ellen b1836, and Hannah b1840.

Another branch Joseph (b1816) married Mary b1820 they seem to have at least one child Edward b1860.

I also found a discription of the farm in the 1881 census. Mary Appleyard - Head - Widdow - aged 64 - farmer 100 acres employs 2 labourers, born Sheffield.

Edward Appleyard - son - unmarried - aged 20 - Farmer.

Martha Hill - servant - aged 17.

Henry Tatton did some drawings of it and calls it Appleyard farms. But I can't post them on here for copyright reasons.

PS they are not directly related to me.

I shall have to go to Central Library and have a look for Ash farm in the Tatton notebooks. Thanks for the info

I shall have to go to Central Library and have a look for Ash farm in the Tatton notebooks. Thanks for the info

I can E-mail you them, just can't post them.

Ash Farm and outbuildings, thanks to Martin for providing the photographs.

The old sports ground adjacent to the farm, reverts back to nature.

• Like 1

As I understand..being related to the Hoylands..the brothers farmed at gleadless townend teddie and William. William then went to intake to begin the undertaking business.which to this day is still trading. 

This was my home for 50 ,years,my mother a lawson lived there from being 6years old.(she is now 92yrs)

My Grandfather( Mums Dad) took over from his Brother as he was ill,and the doctor told him to go out into the country.

My grandfather farmed all the surrounding fields off East bank road,across to newfield green, where other members/cousins of my mother had farms.

My Grandfather was born at Hurlfield farm.

He had cows, sheep and pigs. When he died my father took over the farm and bred pigs. Sadly the fields across from east bank road had already been compulsory purchased by then to build the Norfolk park.

The farm was compulsory purchased in 2003,to make way for housing, along with the Sheffield united football ground and sadly demolished around 2006/7. It was sad because it could have continued as a farm, and the bottom barn was one of only a few Dutch barns in uk, and should have been preserved.

Before the Lawsons, the Appleyards ran the farm.

magazine heeley.jpeg

af barn.jpg

East bank road.jpg

Ash Farm plans.jpg

ash1.jpg

ash2.jpg

ash3.jpg

ash4.jpg

ash6.jpg

ash7.jpg

ash8.jpg

ash9.jpg