Ash Farm Gleadless

duckweed

Does anyone have details of Ash Farm in Gleadless? I know it was a dairy farm. Where exactly was it and are there any signs left or old photos?

Does anyone have details of Ash Farm in Gleadless? I know it was a dairy farm. Where exactly was it and are there any signs left or old photos?

If you look at the Bacon Large plan of Sheffield pre 1900 on this site, then click on red square with Heeley in (at bottom, middle) You will find Ash Farm at the bottom near the rec ground. (Sorry But don't know how to put a proper link to it)

If you look at the Bacon Large plan of Sheffield pre 1900 on this site, then click on red square with Heeley in (at bottom, middle) You will find Ash Farm at the bottom near the rec ground. (Sorry But don't know how to put a proper link to it)

Here we go Meersbrook, shown at the side of Spurr Lane,

later to become Myrtle Road.

Link .. www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

I used to walk round Ash Farm (Lawson's Farm) in Heeley?

At one stage when it was vacant and just before it was demolished,

I even managed to get inside the buildings,

not owning a digital camera at the time, sadly I did not take any photos :(

Nothing remains of the farm buildings, and a new housing estate now stands on the site.

post-188-094398500%201287762166_thumb.jp

Link to FlashEarth

So when was it demolished? I'm just looking for info for someone whose family once farmed there (not in Living Memory) called the Hoylands. Any idea how old the farm was?

So when was it demolished? I'm just looking for info for someone whose family once farmed there (not in Living Memory) called the Hoylands. Any idea how old the farm was?

Edward Appleyard (1893), Farmer

Thomas Lawson (1919), Farmer

Arthur Lawson (1925), Farmer

Judging by those dates the Hoylands must have been the farmers before Appleyard. Saley Hoyland was born in 1845 in Norton Lees. Her parents were James and Jane White also dairy farmers.

I think the farm was demolished in 2004,

a link to part of Fairbank's 1795 map posted by Gramps,

appears to show Ash Farm

I think the farm was demolished in 2004,

a link to part of Fairbank's 1795 map posted by Gramps,

appears to show Ash Farm

Google Earth v.5 has an "Historic View" which allows you to see any Google Earth view of the same site going back to 1999, but coverage does depend upon how frequently Google rephotograph the area.

Does the farm show on any pre 2004 Google Earth views that there could be?

Google Earth v.5 has an "Historic View" which allows you to see any Google Earth view of the same site going back to 1999, but coverage does depend upon how frequently Google rephotograph the area.

Does the farm show on any pre 2004 Google Earth views that there could be?

Yes Dave,

those are the farm buildings in my post #03, the aerial view can't be 2009.

Here we are,

a couple of photos of Ash Farm,

not very good but better than nowt,

please don't ask how I came by them it is a long story.

Not sure of the angle on this shot,

but the building in the background is part of one of the old barns.

This one was taken looking up the driveway (with the photographers back to Myrtle Rd)

Yes Dave,

those are the farm buildings in my post #03, the aerial view can't be 2009.

Yes but your picture in post#3 is from Flash Earth.

I thought that by using Google Earth historic view and going back gradually over the past decade you could narrow it down to when the farm buildings did actually disappear.

If you think it was 2004 this is right in the middle of Google Earths timeline.

I did something similar in another topic when asked about the demolition and rebuilding of Arbourthorne Juniour School on Eastern Avenue.

[quote name='SteveHB'

Not sure of the angle on this shot,

but the building in the background is part of one of the old barns.

This one was taken looking up the driveway (with the photographers back to Myrtle Rd)

The buildings look quite old especially when you look at the farmhouse Windows.

Kelly's 1854.

Appleyard Joseph, farmer, Upper Heely

White's 1857 (Trades & Professions)

Appleyand Jph. Ash farm.

Kelly's 1854.

Appleyard Joseph, farmer, Upper Heely

White's 1857 (Trades & Professions)

Appleyand Jph. Ash farm.

It's like that then, is it ? OK I'll take your 1854 and raise you a 1837 ... (I don't sound like a convincing card-sharp do I?)

William Appleyard, farmer, Heeley Bank

It's like that then, is it ? OK I'll take your 1854 and raise you a 1837 ... (I don't sound like a convincing card-sharp do I?)

William Appleyard, farmer, Heeley Bank

I will raise you some photos of the site .. :P

There was an archaeological dig on the site of Ash Farm,

the driveway to the farm (off Myrtle Rd) is where the blue container stands

An old well was uncovered to the far right of this photo,

the well is marked on a 1903 map.

I will raise you some photos of the site .. :P

When did they do the dig?

I was born and bred on Ash Farm it was my home for 50 Years until greedy people wanted it to make lots of money out of hundreds of houses. My mother who is 81 Years lived there from being 6 years old. The lawsons farmed it for over 150 years. This was a part of History of Sheffield now lost forever. Opposite the Farm at bottom of lane cwas one of the largest Rhubarb farms in the area. Another farm demolished for progress was up (hurlfield hill) gleadless road which was my mothers Aunty's. There were fams all over this area from the skating rink at the bottom of east bank road, up to norton water tower, that were part of my family and their history. Most are demolished .My grandfather had both sheep and cows on the "fields " which is known as norfolk park, again all compulsary purchased.

I find it still difficult to come to terms even after 7 years, that I will never see my Family home again.

If you want any further info please e-mail me at : gdyso7605@hotmail.com. I also have photos of farm in "olden days" and of East bank rd when it was a cart track.

• Like 1

I was born and bred on Ash Farm it was my home for 50 Years until greedy people wanted it to make lots of money out of hundreds of houses. My mother who is 81 Years lived there from being 6 years old. The lawsons farmed it for over 150 years. This was a part of History of Sheffield now lost forever. Opposite the Farm at bottom of lane cwas one of the largest Rhubarb farms in the area. Another farm demolished for progress was up (hurlfield hill) gleadless road which was my mothers Aunty's. There were fams all over this area from the skating rink at the bottom of east bank road, up to norton water tower, that were part of my family and their history. Most are demolished .My grandfather had both sheep and cows on the "fields " which is known as norfolk park, again all compulsary purchased.

I find it still difficult to come to terms even after 7 years, that I will never see my Family home again.

If you want any further info please e-mail me at : gdyso7605@hotmail.com. I also have photos of farm in "olden days" and of East bank rd when it was a cart track.

Welcome to Sheffield History spanner and thank you both for making this post and for the offer of further information.

I am well aware that this area was at one time farmland and most of it is documented in Pauline Shearstones book "A history of Gleadless". A book currently out of print and very difficult to track down.

It may be worth a look if you can get a copy to see if any of your family history is mentioned in it.

Welcome to Sheffield History spanner and thank you both for making this post and for the offer of further information.

I am well aware that this area was at one time farmland and most of it is documented in Pauline Shearstones book "A history of Gleadless". A book currently out of print and very difficult to track down.

It may be worth a look if you can get a copy to see if any of your family history is mentioned in it.

I would like to see the History of Gleadless and also hear any anecdotes. Gleadless has a long history and it is such a shame that the farms and old buildings went. They took away part of the character of the area .

I know there are people in Gleadless trying to write a history. I have seen it on the Sheffield Forum. I don't know if this is the same as the Gleadless History Society who meet at Newfield Green.

I would like to see the History of Gleadless and also hear any anecdotes. Gleadless has a long history and it is such a shame that the farms and old buildings went. They took away part of the character of the area .

I know there are people in Gleadless trying to write a history. I have seen it on the Sheffield Forum. I don't know if this is the same as the Gleadless History Society who meet at Newfield Green.

..and of course there are some of us how still mourn the loss of that excellent website, www.gleadless.net which disappeared without trace about 3 years ago. It had a lot of excellent stuff about the area, including pictures of the farms.

I will raise you some photos of the site .. tongue.gif

post-188-091299600%201289232956_thumb.jp post-188-074566400%201289233068_thumb.jp

post-188-087095900%201289232996_thumb.jp

The report from the dig is at : http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-941-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol11-28201_2.pdf

One of the interesting features found was an ice well (3 metres diameter) The report says: "Ice well structures are common on large estates in the 18th and 19th centuries and varied greatly in form from complex chambers with a series of doors within mounds to simple circular shafts that were loaded from the top (Dennison 1989). They often had domed or conical roofs and were used for the cold storage of ice, meats and produce throughout the year"

You appear to be "on a roll" which is great news for us all.

Great finds, shame Sheffield History - Their History appears to have disappeared.

Thank you for your input.