I Don't Belieeeeve It

hilldweller

Favourite Font  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favourite font ?

• Comic Sans
    • The Forum default
    • Other

Looking on the BBC website today when I stumbled upon what is apparently a serious attempt to ban the use of my favourite font Comic Sans.

Apparently the great and good think that the font is "childish & de-meaning"

What on earth is wrong with these people, " I don't like it so nobody must like it"

And what is wrong with being childish I want to know. As those people who know me well, will tell anyone within earshot, I'm a big kid and long may it continue.

If you don't like Comic Sans then use something else, the last time I looked, the list of fonts was as long as Norfolk Street (before Arundle Gate and Town Hall Extensions).

If anyone wants to join me in the defence of Comic Sans I shall be the one holding up the banner telling them where they can stick their Times New Roman.

HD

And another thing, what are we doing with a yank spell check on Sheffield History, we're not the 51st state yet you know.

Takes tongue out of cheek and retreats into corner.

And another thing, what are we doing with a yank spell check on Sheffield History, we're not the 51st state yet you know.

Takes tongue out of cheek and retreats into corner.

Where is the spell checker on here HD?

I have never come across it.

usually the spell checker is an add-on to your browser, I know when I downloaded the one for Firefox, you had the choice of language, ie English as British, American etc

usually the spell checker is an add-on to your browser, I know when I downloaded the one for Firefox, you had the choice of language, ie English as British, American etc

The Firefox spell check can't be very good Stuart,

it has not added a capital letter to the beggining of your reply

:-)

The Firefox spell check can't be very good Stuart,

it has not added a capital letter to the beggining of your reply

:-)

No it has not, but it has picked up you spelt beginning wrong

Well I did say puts tongue back in cheek, but I'm glad to see that you used Comic Sans for your reply.

I've checked my Firefox and although the English English dictionary is installed it had some-how defaulted back to Yank English.

Sorry Sheffield History

HD

Well I did say puts tongue back in cheek, but I'm glad to see that you used Comic Sans for your reply.

I've checked my Firefox and although the English English dictionary is installed it had some-how defaulted back to Yank English.

Sorry Sheffield History

HD

Personally I find the Comic Sans very pleasing to the eye and clear to read,

a lot better than the forums default font.

I like Comic Sans as well HD - (In fact I'm going to start using it on here from now on.)

I think it is just suffering for it's name.

Perhaps if it had a more "Sophisticated" sounding name, they wouldn't be trying to get rid of it.

I like Comic Sans as well HD - (In fact I'm going to start using it on here from now on.)

I think it is just suffering for it's name.

Perhaps if it had a more "Sophisticated" sounding name, they wouldn't be trying to get rid of it.

I like Comic Sans as well

..and as a teacher I know that many students when using a computer to do a word document or PowerPoint presentation use it as their font of choice.

I also like the default Times New Roman and Ariel fonts as well so don't really worry about what i am using.

For me the real issue is legibility. A good font needs to be clear and easily read.

Comic Sans fits this criteria better than most and I think that is why kids prefer to use, - NOT because it "looks childish" BUT because they can read it easily and know that others can too, - much better than their poor handwriting in some cases.

No, - for this reason alone, as a teacher having to work with young people Comic Sans cannot be banned.

It serves a good purpose in helping students communicate well using the written word.

Oh Heck

I've started something now

Dips head back below parapet.

HD

I have added a poll to the Toppic, scroll to the top :rolleyes:

No it has not, but it has picked up you spelt beginning wrong

So you can't use capital letters and Steve can't spell :P

My own English in some of my posts is pretty poor as well :o

OK,

So when has any Norfolk Lad ever been good at English? :huh:

Perhaps we should have paid more attention to Man Wright lol

Last time we had a poll it was for the 12 photos to be used on the Sheffield History calendar 2010 and that went wrong and messed up for a while.

By the way Steve, what is the sites "default font"?

I have noticed that the font which appears while entering posts and replies seems to be different from the one which appears in the finished, "posted" result which people see.

The one you get while posting seems bigger and clearer, with less characters per line and easier to read (and in my book that means better) than the smaller font which appears in the finished post.

Comic Sans is my favourite font, purely because that is how I'd like to be able to really write, instead of my usual scrawl (which is more like Wingdings lol ) I think business discourages it because it looks informal. However, as a "properly" trained secretary, who worked her way up to "Personnel Controller" (Sounds like a pest destroyer but I refuse to call it HR!!) in my last few years at work I have had many a laugh at the emails sent by higher management which are badly spelt, lacking in grammar and illustrate what a poor education they have received. The benefits of having a well educated secretary to correct all the management illiteracy seems to have gone by the board now unfortunately. I have had several wonderful bosses who would just say, blah, blah, you know what I want to say so you do it and funnily enough it used to work in the old days. Maybe the world was really run by the minions then he he

However, as a "properly" trained secretary, who worked her way up to "Personnel Controller" (Sounds like a pest destroyer but I refuse to call it HR!!)

My wife and her colleagues went through some rather acrimonious redundancy a while ago. The 'HR' people were singularly off-hand and unhelpful, and became known among the staff as 'Human Remains'!

I think it depends on what you're doing. For formal use I use Arial,letters to the Revenue etc. ; for articles on here It's often Times New Roman, but for informal use I think Comic Sans is pleasant on the eye. I shall try to use it more!

Stuart said earlier that you couldn't spell.

How many p's in toPic Steve?

ToPPic :blink:

My wife and her colleagues went through some rather acrimonious redundancy a while ago. The 'HR' people were singularly off-hand and unhelpful, and became known among the staff as 'Human Remains'!

Exactly! I went on several personnel courses during my working life and it was plain that the focus was on treating the staff like rubbish, sorry I didn´t subscribe to that philosophy. My location meant that I dealt with many Liverscouserpuddlians which was a challenge to say the least, in the middle of a serious discipline interview it was hard not to laugh at some of their responses, "get my brief" was a favourite :o Hopefully my Yorkshire sense of fairness helped the situations (I remember a particular tortuous procedure involving "Night Nurse" of all things :P )

Exactly! I went on several personnel courses during my working life and it was plain that the focus was on treating the staff like rubbish, sorry I didn´t subscribe to that philosophy. My location meant that I dealt with many Liverscouserpuddlians which was a challenge to say the least, in the middle of a serious discipline interview it was hard not to laugh at some of their responses, "get my brief" was a favourite :o Hopefully my Yorkshire sense of fairness helped the situations (I remember a particular tortuous procedure involving "Night Nurse" of all things :P )

It's amazing how a change in name, (Personal Department to Human Resource) seemed to me, to unleash a totally new breed of staff.

You could as an employee visit the Personal Department and seem to get a fair hearing for whatever you were unhappy about. (Well most of the time) However once the name changed to HR it was all your fault and not the employers.

Personal Department looked after the personal, Human resource is there to resource humans for the benefit of the company.

End of rant.

Oh yes I like Comic Sans as well.

It's amazing how a change in name, (Personal Department to Human Resource) seemed to me, to unleash a totally new breed of staff.

My bin is full.

I'll have to wait until Friday when the REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER comes to empty it lol

Note

REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER

Originally called a BINMAN

Later changed to BINPERSON by politically correct womens rights protesters

Now, due to their new status of importance in this eco-world, REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER

My bin is full.

I'll have to wait until Friday when the REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER comes to empty it lol

Note

REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER

Originally called a BINMAN

Later changed to BINPERSON by politically correct womens rights protesters

Now, due to their new status of importance in this eco-world, REFUSE DISPOSAL MANAGER

Our equivalent was the GARBO

It had no politically correct version but made the quantum leap to SANITARY ENGINEER. At the same time, with the advent of automatic bin hoists the workforce was slashed by 66%

Our equivalent was the GARBO

Presumably that's antipodean slang for "Garbage", a "Garbo" being a "Garbage Collector"

But what an insult that is to this sexy, sultry, Swedish actress :o

Exactly! I went on several personnel courses during my working life and it was plain that the focus was on treating the staff like rubbish, sorry I didn´t subscribe to that philosophy. My location meant that I dealt with many Liverscouserpuddlians which was a challenge to say the least, in the middle of a serious discipline interview it was hard not to laugh at some of their responses, "get my brief" was a favourite Hopefully my Yorkshire sense of fairness helped the situations (I remember a particular tortuous procedure involving "Night Nurse" of all things )

When I worked at the British Steel Corporation (known affectionately as Billy Smarts Circus) they were very big on personnel courses for managers.

I once spent a very pleasant three weeks at Brookfield Manor, Hathersage, learning all about "The Grid".

This was a method of evaluating a management style using a two axis grid.

One axis started at 1, had a point at 5 and finished at 9. It represented attention to the companies interests.

The other axis had the same points and represented attention to the workforces requirements.

The course took 3 weeks of listening to a yank called Mike Zeraddka with a high opinion of himself, telling us that the only possible management style was 9-1.

This meant that the companies interests always came first and the workforce's interests counted for nought.

5-5 or 9-9 were never acceptable.

It tooks 3 weeks of fine dining and endless lectures and "focus groups" to get this simple message across.

It was a residential course 'so I had to go over the wire each night to sleep in my own bed.

And they wondered why they never made a profit.

HD

Nice story, most amusing.

When I worked at the British Steel Corporation (known affectionately as Billy Smarts Circus) they were very big on personnel courses for managers.

I once spent a very pleasant three weeks at Brookfield Manor, Hathersage, learning all about "The Grid".

One axis started at 1, had a point at 5 and finished at 9. It represented attention to the companies interests.

The other axis had the same points and represented attention to the workforces requirements.

The course took 3 weeks of listening to a yank called Mike Zeraddka with a high opinion of himself, telling us that the only possible management style was 9-1.

This meant that the companies interests always came first and the workforce's interests counted for nought.

It tooks 3 weeks of fine dining and endless lectures and "focus groups" to get this simple message across.

It was a residential course 'so I had to go over the wire each night to sleep in my own bed.

HD

HD

I hate courses like that.

They are always pushed at you to promote your career and yet they are invariably a load of rubbish, a total waste of money and time as they never get put into practice or adapt to the real situation you are in at work. If they do ever contain anything of genuine value it is always something you already knew and used, probably better than the lecturer who was therefore just teaching you the obvious.

I always avoid such courses.