Lancing Road Bomb

knightstemplar

If this bomb had gone off I wouldnt be here.

Lancing road bomb

It landed next door to my dads house on Lancing road. I have heard in all there was 5 bombs dropped in that immediate area most of them hit Bramhall Lane and Lavers wood yard but there were two duds. One was found and defused and removed but one was not found until recently when they were digging foundations for new bungalows. When visiting Kelham Island I still shudder when I see it on display.

Was anyone else living in the area at that time? Lets have your stories.

I have heard in all there was 5 bombs dropped in that immediate area most of them hit Bramhall Lane and Lavers wood yard but there were two duds.

This reminds me of a story told by my father in law who lived at Attercliffe aged 12 at the time. Apparently in "carpet bombing" the bombs are in racks of 5 and are released a rack at a time. this has the effect of creating a row of explosions with a fixed time difference and fixed ground spacing between the bombs along the flight path of the aircraft. Young lads in the shelter had a game of counting the seconds between each explosion, knowing there would be 5 in total, and from their loudness and severity could tell if they were approaching or going away. this is illustrated in the film "Hope and Glory" set in London during their blitz. "duds" were also frequent and was evident by a missing explosion. On the second raid on 15 December 1940 when Attercliffe was badly hit my father in law was doing this and counted out a batch of 5. One of then hit Brown Bailey steel works and another was a direct hit the home of his friend who lived in the same street at 56 Leigh Street, killing all of the Cousins family. However there was one "dud" which failed to go off. He later plotted the position of these bombs on a map and knowing the straight line equal time and spacing rule was able to predict it must have fallen into a calculated spot in the River Don. He is convinced to this day that there may be an unexploded bomb down there.

If this bomb had gone off I wouldnt be here.

Lancing road bomb

It landed next door to my dads house on Lancing road. I have heard in all there was 5 bombs dropped in that immediate area most of them hit Bramhall Lane and Lavers wood yard but there were two duds. One was found and defused and removed but one was not found until recently when they were digging foundations for new bungalows. When visiting Kelham Island I still shudder when I see it on display.

Was anyone else living in the area at that time? Lets have your stories.

From Peter Harvey's Sheffield since 1900. This must be the bomb in situ?

"In 1985 this 2,2000 pound unexploded bomb was uncoverd by building workers near Lancing Road and 300 people were evacuated from their homes while a bomb disposal team struggled for 48 hours in freezing conditions to steam the explosive out of it!

Went to Kelham a little while ago and tha bombs gone missing, anyone know where it is. Did it float down the river in the floods? Doubt it but would like to know.

Went to Kelham a little while ago and tha bombs gone missing, anyone know where it is. Did it float down the river in the floods? Doubt it but would like to know.

Maybe it eventually exploded; I heard rumours of disarray amongst Mrs Miggins Elderflower-sausage rolls, I thought it just an elaborate insurance scam ... probably ...

Maybe it eventually exploded; I heard rumours of disarray amongst Mrs Miggins Elderflower-sausage rools, I thought it just an elaborate insurance scam ... probably ...

I though that just like the naughty boy who kicks his ball into your garden damaging half your plants and then asks "Can I have my ball back please?"

That the Germans, having dropped their bombs on Sheffield causing more than just a bit of damage were asking "Können wir unsere Bombe zurück bitte?"

[translation :- "Can we have our bomb back please?"]

Went to Kelham Island museum for the xmas markets but the bomb was still nowhere to be seen until I saw a info board explaining about it. With a little further looking round I found it to be in the storage room on a set of pallet wheels ready to be put back on display after the xmas market. Solved;).

Went to Kelham Island museum for the xmas markets but the bomb was still nowhere to be seen until I saw a info board explaining about it. With a little further looking round I found it to be in the storage room on a set of pallet wheels ready to be put back on display after the xmas market. Solved;).

Unless of course the Germans do want their bomb back lol

That signature, knightstemplar

Si Dieu Le Veult!

If God the what? :blink: