Dr. To W. Wildgoose & Son

syrup

I have come across this receipt in an old rent book for a stair carpet dated 1951 but can find no record of the shop

and the shop title suggests a Doctor was involved in the business or does Dr have another meaning..

I have come across this receipt in an old rent book for a stair carpet dated 1951 but can find no record of the shop

and the shop title suggests a Doctor was involved in the business or does Dr have another meaning..

Hi Syrup,

I think Dr. in accounting means debit to W. Wildgoose, just a guess :)

Hi Syrup,

I've seen old bills and receipts with the word DRAWN to so & so or DRAWN of so and so. Just another guess !.

In an old dictionary Dr. is listed as Debtor.

Just another old fashioned idea that has disappeared like "And Oblige".

HD

Hi Syrup,

I agree with SuzyC and Hilldweller that Dr. is a financial transaction term in this case and not a professional qualification.

However it is not written as dr. (so much money) it is typed on the headed paper as Dr. to (someone) which just makes me wonder, like syrup obviously did.

Dated 1951, what a brilliant image of King George VI on that tuppence ha'penny stamp.

Worth posting just for that, - Stanley Gibbons would have loved it! lol

I agree with SuzyC and Hilldweller that Dr. is a financial transaction term in this case and not a professional qualification.

However it is not written as dr. (so much money) it is typed on the headed paper as Dr. to (someone) which just makes me wonder, like syrup obviously did.

Dated 1951, what a brilliant image of King George VI on that tuppence ha'penny stamp.

Worth posting just for that, - Stanley Gibbons would have loved it! lol

Here's a couple of unused King George VI tuppence ha'penny stamps on:

And as a bonus, two tuppence stamps and a ha'penny one:

From a part used August 1942 book of stamps. Some of the adverts in the book are rather interesting as well, but that is for another thread (perhaps).

Here's a couple of unused King George VI tuppence ha'penny stamps on:

And as a bonus, two tuppence stamps and a ha'penny one:

From a part used August 1942 book of stamps. Some of the adverts in the book are rather interesting as well, but that is for another thread (perhaps).

UNUSED!!! :blink:

Someone spent tuppence ha'penny on a stamp and then never used it :o

Must have been a stamp collector lol

Hi Syrup,

Thanks for that SuzyC and all the others that have posted replies now it makes more sense.