Rington's Tea Anyone?

ukelele lady

Did you know they still drive around selling Ringtons tea?

When my husband told me Ringtons tea man had called all I could

imagine was a three wheeler little van riding around.

Well he ordered some didn't he [ shouldn't be left home alone ] but

we did get a free packet of biscuits.

I don't see the point in delivering packets of tea to your door, you can

get tea anywhere. And just for the record it tastes just like any other tea.

The biscuits were ok though :P

And just for the record it tastes just like any other tea.

Shame on you Ukelele Lady :o

All tea tastes the same :blink:

Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Lapsang Suchon :mellow:

Green tea, Brown tea, Black tea :huh:

Typhoo, PG Tips, RINGTONS lol

Just like with beer and wine there is great variety in tea B)

get tea anywhere.

Now I'm a coffee person, it's my wife that likes tea.

Now if they could deliver tea to continental Europe my wife would sign up for it.

When we go abroad she has to pack tea and take it with her to ensure she gets a decent cuppa while on holiday.

The Europeans don't drink tea like we do.

Although you can go into a French cafe and ask for "Une tasse de thé" and even "avec du lait et le sucre" what you get is not the same as you get at home, - or as palletable.

So if Ringtons can do a delivery to a hotel somewhere in Europe at some time next summer (details still to be finalised) then that will do for us.

Now if they could deliver tea to continental Europe my wife would sign up for it.

When we go abroad she has to pack tea and take it with her to ensure she gets a decent cuppa while on holiday.

You're sooo right, they don't make[ brew ] tea like we do.

They seem to think as long as the water is WARM it will be ok. Yuk. :o

You're sooo right, they don't make[ brew ] tea like we do.

They seem to think as long as the water is WARM it will be ok. Yuk. :o

However,

As a "coffee person" I must admit they do some brilliant coffees.

We were in Bordaeux a couple of years ago and my wife ordered the drinks, for once she fancied a coffee, but due to either her limited knowledge of coffees or the French language instead of ordering 2 large cappucino coffees she ordered 2 double expresso.

As she then couldn't drink hers because it was "too strong" I ended up drinking both, - a quadruple expresso :blink:

It was a brilliant cup (if you can call an expresso glass a cup) of coffee, - but 2 doubles in one, -WOW

This is one of the Ringtons special edition Tea Pot's,

purchased some years ago by a friend of mine from Ringtons,

I think she said that it cost about £40.00,

bet it's worth a bit more than that now.

This is one of the Ringtons special edition Tea Pot's,

purchased some years ago by a friend of mine from Ringtons,

I think she said that it cost about £40.00,

bet it's worth a bit more than that now.

This is a Ringtons special edition model made by Lesney / Matchbox of one of their tea delivery vehicles.

It was in my dads display collection of model cars so I don't know if, -

It was only available as a "special" from Ringtons tea (as far as I know my parents never had Ringtons as they preferred other brands)

It was part of the Matchbox "models of Yesteryear" set. I have a set of Matchbox / Lesney traction engines from that series.

It was part of a Matchbox / Lesney "Horse drawn vehicles" set.

This is a Ringtons special edition model made by Lesney / Matchbox of one of their tea delivery vehicles.

It was in my dads display collection of model cars so I don't know if, -

It was only available as a "special" from Ringtons tea (as far as I know my parents never had Ringtons as they preferred other brands)

It was part of the Matchbox "models of Yesteryear" set. I have a set of Matchbox / Lesney traction engines from that series.

It was part of a Matchbox / Lesney "Horse drawn vehicles" set.

Then again,

For madannie, busman, transit and Stuart0742 a more interesting part of my dads display cabinet would have been these models

Apologies for the poor picture quality, taken close up in a fairly dark room with a mobile phone.

Although you can go into a French cafe and ask for "Une tasse de thé" and even "avec du lait et le sucre" what you get is not the same as you get at home, - or as palletable.

So if Ringtons can do a delivery to a hotel somewhere in Europe at some time next summer (details still to be finalised) then that will do for us.

I too am a coffee person but my other half likes his tea and fortunately we can buy Typhoo in our local supermercado, even in the back of beyond, albeit expensive. When ordering tea over here it is best to ask for tea with a seperate serving of milk, otherwise you are likely to get hot milk with a teabag in it :o

My aged auntie, who lives in Retford, finds it very handy to have the Ringtons tea man call (saves her lugging shopping) and she can buy biscuits and other bits and bobs, their brazil nut chocolates are yummy. She can also buy all sorts from her milkman, eg tonic water, bread, even bags of compost. It is a real lifeline for older people who cannot always get out in winter. The milkman is also very handy at unscrewing tops for her and other little jobs, what a star he is!! :)

When my husband told me Ringtons tea man had called all I could

imagine was a three wheeler little van riding around.

Well he ordered some didn't he [ shouldn't be left home alone ] but

we did get a free packet of biscuits.

get tea anywhere. And just for the record it tastes just like any other tea.

The biscuits were ok though :P

While most schoolkids earned their pocket money delivering newspapers, I made mine by delivering packets of tea around Hackenthorpe in the sixties. I'm pretty sure the brand was Ingrams. Every Friday evening after school I would load up my bag and head off on my pushbike. I was given a list of addresses, I don't know who aquired the customers but they did gradually dwindle over the 2 or 3 years that I had the 'tea round' I do recall the dark winter nights, icy pavements and deep snowdrifts but no matter what the weather, the tea had to get through! For a while though, inclement weather wasn't the biggest problem. One particular customer (they were all women) insisted I step inside while she found the money. This became a regular thing and I always felt uncomfortable standing alone in a strange hallway especially since I never saw or heard anyone else in the house. In those days we were always taught to respect our elders and do as we were told but one evening, I stepped inside and she closed the door behind me, something she had never done before. When she went to find the money, with the alarm bells sounding loudly in my head, I took off and never went back again.

When ordering tea over here it is best to ask for tea with a seperate serving of milk, otherwise you are likely to get hot milk with a teabag in it :o

I found this out about 10 years ago in a little cafe in the village of Villaflor half way up Moute Teidi in Tenereife.

If you asked for tea "con leche" you got a seperate little pot of milk.

I only discovered this by accident as I added the "con leche" bit to try and stop them asking me, in a language I don't really understand, if I wanted milk and sugar with it.

While most schoolkids earned their pocket money delivering newspapers, I made mine by delivering packets of tea around Hackenthorpe in the sixties. I'm pretty sure the brand was Ingrams. Every Friday evening after school I would load up my bag and head off on my pushbike. I was given a list of addresses, I don't know who aquired the customers but they did gradually dwindle over the 2 or 3 years that I had the 'tea round' I do recall the dark winter nights, icy pavements and deep snowdrifts but no matter what the weather, the tea had to get through! For a while though, inclement weather wasn't the biggest problem. One particular customer (they were all women) insisted I step inside while she found the money. This became a regular thing and I always felt uncomfortable standing alone in a strange hallway especially since I never saw or heard anyone else in the house. In those days we were always taught to respect our elders and do as we were told but one evening, I stepped inside and she closed the door behind me, something she had never done before. When she went to find the money, with the alarm bells sounding loudly in my head, I took off and never went back again.

On the Hackenthorpe :blink:

Vox and Stuart0742 used to live on the Hackenthorpe <_<

They never mentioned any sex starved nymphomanic on their paper rounds :rolleyes:

Perhaps Robin Askwith could make another film called "Confessions of a Ringtons Tea delivery boy" and film it on the Hackenthorpe.

Wise boy, you don't know what these females get up to :o :rolleyes:

Wise boy, you don't know what these females get up to :o:rolleyes:

Yes I suppose THYLACINE did the right thing.

But for a teenage getting lad getting the tempting attention of an older woman it must have been a hell of a decision.

I've seen the film "The Graduate" lol

Perhaps Robin Askwith could make another film called "Confessions of a Ringtons Tea delivery boy" and film it on the Hackenthorpe.

I like the sound of that Dave, do you think he would audition me for the lead? I could do a great Billy Casper.

Might be about 40 years too late. :(

I like the sound of that Dave, do you think he would audition me for the lead? I could do a great Billy Casper.

Might be about 40 years too late. :(

I don't know THYLACINE.

Those old "Confessions" films, a sort of seaside postcard type humour which was "sexier" and more risque than the "Carry On" series as well as starring Robin Askwith also starred Cherie Blair's dad, Tony Booth who had previously played Una Stubbs "Scouse Git" husband in the TV series "Till Death us do part"

Tony Booth always looked too old to be in a "sex film"

Perhaps these are the only parts we would be offered these days :(

They never mentioned any sex starved nymphomanic on their paper rounds :rolleyes:

Forget the film - I've just bought a pushbike and I'm in the process of setting up a tea delivery round.

Forget the film - I've just bought a pushbike and I'm in the process of setting up a tea delivery round.

Hey vox, I was a milkman for 20 years, want any tips ? W/E.

Surprising what happened on the Hacky

There was this woman who wanted to teach me to drive, I thought there would be other stuff involved

Would the tips be PG by any chance.

Well my dad was also a milkman, so yes, a bit of parental guidance did not go amiss at times. W/E.

Tea delivery on a pushbike!!

I remember those PG Tips monkeys in the Tour De France cycle race.

The one that falls off his bike asks the French lady chimp

"Avez Vous Un Cuppa?"

To which he gets the reply

"Oui Cherie, {PG Tips}, Le Premier The Anglais"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvq-kZMWIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvq-kZMWIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Which sort of backs up what I said about drinking tea on the continent earlier. lol

Surprising what happened on the Hacky

There was this woman who wanted to teach me to drive, I thought there would be other stuff involved

You have to be carefull with women like that and driving cars.

I have also listened to The Beatles 1965 album Rubber Soul, Side 1 track 1

A song called "Drive My Car"

Must admit I was a newspaper boy on the Arbourthorne for several years and had a similar experience to THYLACINE with a woman who invited me in to pay me for the papers and give me a tip and she also liked to close the door behind her.

I made the same decision as THYLACINE and decided that a tactical retreat was better than any youthful bravado.

Well my dad was also a milkman,

Don't tell me, I know what comes next, -

They called him Ernie

..and he drove the fastest milk cart in the west!

lol

Don't tell me, I know what comes next, -

They called him Ernie

..and he drove the fastest milk cart in the west!

lol

I was just working on that one,

Benny Hill was one of my favourites.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNYIDjwYjWc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNYIDjwYjWc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>