Things Now Gone

ukelele lady

This object is made from wood, so I doubt it Stuart :(

It does look sort of metallic in your picture though doesn't it?

It does look sort of metallic in your picture though doesn't it?

Yes I agree Dave,

for years I thought the object was made from Bakelite,

but this particular one pre-dates the development of that.

Is it something they used to mix their potions [ medicine] in ?

No it is not a mixing pot,

it's use was phased out during the 1920's, due to something new ?

I think that you've been codding us with that object. I'm off now to get a drink.

HD

PS

My grandma used to use one of them as a darning mushroom.

The drink I was off to get was a glass of lemonade, then I was going to get down on the pavement for a game of marbles with my pal Carruthers Minor. And now I'm codding you.

HD

The drink I was off to get was a glass of lemonade, then I was going to get down on the pavement for a game of marbles with my pal Carruthers Minor. And now I'm codding you.

HD

Too much of a clue there hilldweller, I think you have given it away there.

If it is now what I think it is then the last one i saw was in the glass bottle museum at Elsecar.

Too much of a clue there hilldweller, I think you have given it away there.

If it is now what I think it is then the last one i saw was in the glass bottle museum at Elsecar.

I thought I'd given it away in my previous post (No. 123).

HD

I thought I'd given it away in my previous post (No. 123).

HD

I'm enjoying this; no idea what the answer is - codding I thought was fooling someone or telling fibs; but I remember my father (born 1920) using the phrase - he also repeatedly referred to the Association of Froth Blowers, "Charlie Clark from Leicester" and "Rastus, I have a feeling of impending doom ..." - the Froth Blowers has been well covered here (Link Fairie vacancy).

Also Lady Docker, Fred Karno's Circus etc etc

I'm enjoying this; no idea what the answer is - codding I thought was fooling someone or telling fibs; but I remember my father (born 1920) using the phrase - he also repeatedly referred to the Association of Froth Blowers, "Charlie Clark from Leicester" and "Rastus, I have a feeling of impending doom ..." - the Froth Blowers has been well covered here (Link Fairie vacancy).

The answer is in part of the word, not the entirety :unsure:

HD

I think the name you are looking for Richard is the 19th century engineer HIRAM CODD.

Find out what he invented and you will have the answer.

I think the name you are looking for Richard is the 19th century engineer HIRAM CODD.

I gather that most people would use their little "pinkie" if they didn't have the mystery object to hand. Apparently the idea didn't catch on in the USA because they had dirty little "pinkies" after a days work in the field. :o

HD

I gather that most people would use their little "pinkie" if they didn't have the mystery object to hand. Apparently the idea didn't catch on in the USA because they had dirty little "pinkies" after a days work in the field. :o

HD

You can use your little "pinkie", or the mystery object, to release the carbon dioxide gas ;-)

HD

You will have to be careful you dont get egg on your face..

Marbles and bottle-stoppers to you too; still can't work out what the picture is of ...

Marbles and bottle-stoppers to you too; still can't work out what the picture is of ...

Sideways view, this one has something written on the top.

Sideways view, this one has something written on the top.

Looks like a Miggins Tripe, Beetroot and Quince Suet Pie - she got into awful bother with these in 1923 ...

[Not a serious reply ...]

Codds bottles had a glass stopper to prevent the leakage of the liquid, and the carbon dioxide used to make the product effervescent. I assume this was used to replace the marble once the seal had been broken. That's my uneducated guess anyway.

Something to do with holding the marbe in so that you could pour from the bottle ?

Something to do with holding the marbe in so that you could pour from the bottle ?

The pinch in the side of the bottle held the marble in the neck. Above the marble was a rubber ring that the marble sealed against. The bottles were filled upside down and the CO2 gas pressure held the marble against the seal.

To drink the contents You had to push the marble down allowing some of the gas to escape and the marble dropped to the pinch, to do this you either used a finger or if you were fastidious and purchasing it from a shop then they would use a "Widget" to open it for you.

If you part consumed the contents you could stick a thumb over the neck, invert the bottle and shake. This would release some more gas and seal the bottle again.

My grandma had a small collection of them (empty) and explained the principle to me at an early age, I just wanted to break them for the marbles.

Simples !

HD

The pinch in the side of the bottle held the marble in the neck. Above the marble was a rubber ring that the marble sealed against. The bottles were filled upside down and the CO2 gas pressure held the marble against the seal.

To drink the contents You had to push the marble down allowing some of the gas to escape and the marble dropped to the pinch, to do this you either used a finger or if you were fastidious and purchasing it from a shop then they would use a "Widget" to open it for you.

If you part consumed the contents you could stick a thumb over the neck, invert the bottle and shake. This would release some more gas and seal the bottle again.

My grandma had a small collection of them (empty) and explained the principle to me at an early age, I just wanted to break them for the marbles.

Simples !

HD

In the game of marbles a small sized marble is often called a "pop".

View from the top 'Dan Rylands'

Codd bottle opener, manufactured between 1884 - 1888, link .. www.mpotten.freeserve.co.uk

So when you say "it was replaced by something more modern in the 1920's"

Would that be the -

Screw Top

Crown Top

Stopper

Cork

I suspect the first option.