Things Now Gone

ukelele lady

This is an oil painting done by my brother and named " Things we don't use any more "

It brought back a few memories of old pennies etc , but what is that with the wooden handle

on the right hand side of the picture? At a guess I would say it was one of those thingies what you

pegged rugs with.

And the big metal key, we used to have one of those to lock our outside toilet [lav ]

Now I ask you, who would have wanted to pinch a loo?

There's lots of things we used then that we don't use today, like " sausages " to stop the droughs

from under the doors, tea cups and saucers, do people still use tea cups and saucers ?

I won't say hot water bottles because I still love a hot water bottle to cuddle.

There's many things I can think of that we don't use anymore but sometimes I wish we still had them

because they worked better than the modern day things of today. :Plol

This is an oil painting done by my brother and named " Things we don't use any more "

It brought back a few memories of old pennies etc , but what is that with the wooden handle

on the right hand side of the picture? At a guess I would say it was one of those thingies what you

pegged rugs with.

And the big metal key, we used to have one of those to lock our outside toilet [lav ]

There's lots of things we used then that we don't use today, like " sausages " to stop the droughs

from under the doors, tea cups and saucers, do people still use tea cups and saucers ?

I won't say hot water bottles because I still love a hot water bottle to cuddle.

There's many things I can think of that we don't use anymore but sometimes I wish we still had them

Fabulous picture.

The wooden handled thingy, I don't think is for pegging rugs. They had a little hook and a kind of latch assembly. The one with the string looks like a plumb bob, the pointed one, an awl. In my humble opinion anyway.

Fabulous picture.

The wooden handled thingy, I don't think is for pegging rugs. They had a little hook and a kind of latch assembly. The one with the string looks like a plumb bob, the pointed one, an awl. In my humble opinion anyway.

Yes you're right jmdee, the thingies that they pegged rugs with did have some sort of hook on them but I still don't

know what the spike thing can be [ I must ask him ]

I still use the plumb line if I do any wallpapering, I wouldn't know what else to use but I suppose there are

some modern day things.

Glad you like the picture.

I will go with what jmdee has said about the short pointed tool,

there are many different types of Awls and they do vary in point length and diameter.

The one in the painting could be a leather Awl,

used to make holes in boot or shoe repair & leather stitching.

I agree with Steve. It's not a rug-pegger. it's an Awl. and yes, the string thing is a plumb-bob.

ok

Do we AWL agree then

Click here for - The Answer

Sorry Steve, but one of your photos does say what it is!

I would not have thought that the wording on my photo was that obvious,

you must have had an idea to get the answer right,

well done!

And that is the exact link that I was going to add,

saved me a job.

:)

pegged rugs with.

Nice picture UKL

Must admit we still have, and sometimes use, a lot of the stuff in your picture.

My wife has a nice collection of flat irons which i am sure I have posted a picture of on here before,

But as my link fairy skills are getting worse here they are again.

I will go with what jmdee has said about the short pointed tool,

there are many different types of Awls and they do vary in point length and diameter.

The one in the painting could be a leather Awl,

used to make holes in boot or shoe repair & leather stitching.

I agree with you here Steve

My first instinct on seeing the picture was that this tool is a leather awl

A nice copper kettle as well.

Very nice but how safe?

Copper is not as insoluble as once thought, even though water pipes are made of it as these carry water without being exposed to air

But in a kettle where air is also present a build up of green verdigris or copper carbonate is more soluble and quite toxic.

Makes me wonder if one would get past Health and Safty these days. <_<

I would not have thought that the wording on my photo was that obvious,

you must have had an idea to get the answer right,

well done!

And that is the exact link that I was going to add,

saved me a job.

:)

I'm still not sure if its a wick cleaner or a £1 coin :unsure:

lol

Things now gone ... mmmm

My brain, my hair, my waistline (or is that improving with age ?), my good looks - now that takes me back ... lol

Things now gone ... mmmm

My brain, my hair, my waistline (or is that improving with age ?), my good looks - now that takes me back ... lol

Nice one Richard he he , I've yet to see you to see if this is true. lol

This is a three footed hobbing foot, I used to use this for stick-on-soles etc.

It's no good for stilettos. he he

Guest davekowl

Great photo of the hobbing foot . My dad could make a pair of my school shoes last until I had out grown them with the hobbing foot ,a hammer and a tin of tacks.

It was great practice for walking on a bed of nails!!!!

Great photo of the hobbing foot . My dad could make a pair of my school shoes last until I had out grown them with the hobbing foot ,a hammer and a tin of tacks.

See the image in post #4 of this topic

X-rays in shoe shops

Yes you're right jmdee, the thingies that they pegged rugs with did have some sort of hook on them but I still don't

know what the spike thing can be [ I must ask him ]

I still use the plumb line if I do any wallpapering, I wouldn't know what else to use but I suppose there are

some modern day things.

Glad you like the picture.

Half an old fashioned wooden peg is what was used .

Fabulous picture.

I've got a rug pegging tool somewhere but exactly where is the million dollar question.

It has a bulbous wooden handle and the end of it is split like forceps or needle nosed pliers. One "handle" of the forceps continues down into the wooden handle and the other sticks out at about 45 degrees for an inch or so.

In use you pushed the jaws through the hessian and with a spare finger on the lever held the jaws tight on the material while you pulled it through.

No jokes please about spending an hour with the wife on the hearth-rug. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

Half an old fashioned wooden peg is what was used .

Yes you're right neddy , it's just brought back memories. I can see my mother now using the half a peg, it was only the well off that had the real thing [ as always ] :mellow:

Some years ago my sister wanted to have a go at pegging a rug [ like mother did ] she had the half of peg and bits of cloth

but nowhere could she get any sacking, that's another thing that's disappeared.

Yes davekowl I remember as a kid there were always nails pertruding from the shoe

into your foot. We used to try and knock them back again where they belonged but

as soon as you started walking in them again they would push back into your foot.

Thank heavens for evo-stick and no more nails.

A cousin of mine said when his shoe soles wore out you put cardboard into your shoe

but you had to be very careful which cardboard you put in. Most kids got cardboard that

shown Heinz through the hole when you lifted your shoe up.

You were a nobody unless it said Heinz. he helol . Luv it.

Yes you're right neddy , it's just brought back memories. I can see my mother now using the half a peg, it was only the well off that had the real thing [ as always ] :mellow:

Some years ago my sister wanted to have a go at pegging a rug [ like mother did ] she had the half of peg and bits of cloth

but nowhere could she get any sacking, that's another thing that's disappeared.

Used to make your fingers sore cutting up the rags, you should be able to get hessian, think upholsterers still use it,

nothing like an old tata sack tho.

Most kids got cardboard that shown Heinz through the hole when you lifted your shoe up.

You were a nobody unless it said Heinz. he helol . Luv it.

Were there 57 VARIETIES of Heinz card that you could have showing through? lol

I can remember using pieces of lino/oilcloth inside my shoes,

it lasted a bit longer than cardboard before it started letting in water.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpO7lmbMGg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpO7lmbMGg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>