Things Now Gone

ukelele lady

I don't want to be a spoil sport, but if it happens again I might have to tell Steve, our Head Prefect. -_-

Steve went to Norfolk School with me and Stuart, - I don't remember him being a prefect <_<

Steve went to Norfolk School with me and Stuart, - I don't remember him being a prefect <_<

Maybe not then, but he does a grand job of policing up this place!

Maybe not then, but he does a grand job of policing up this place!

These days at school kids seem to want the badge and "qualification" of being a prefect but not the job or the responsibility.

Perhaps school prefects are becoming a thing of the past as well.

Poor old dears in the years past must have had muscles like wrestlers.

This black kettle is only a small one but weighs a ton, imaging those very

large black kettles and full of water they must have needed two hands to pick them up.

Poor old dears in the years past must have had muscles like wrestlers.

This black kettle is only a small one but weighs a ton, imaging those very

large black kettles and full of water they must have needed two hands to pick them up.

Kettles were also bigger than they are now.

Some of them must have held over a gallon of water.

I suppose this was because if you had no hot water system in your house, only cold, as many houses did, then you would rely on the kettle for boiling water for washing clothes, washing the pots, filling the bath etc which required larger quantities of hot water than just making a few cups of tea.

Kettles were also bigger than they are now.

Some of them must have held over a gallon of water.

I suppose this was because if you had no hot water system in your house, only cold, as many houses did, then you would rely on the kettle for boiling water for washing clothes, washing the pots, filling the bath etc which required larger quantities of hot water than just making a few cups of tea.

And if I remember my Gran's, it would be kept on the hob of the Yorkshire Range so there was a constant supply of hot water.

And if I remember my Gran's, it would be kept on the hob of the Yorkshire Range so there was a constant supply of hot water.

Yes, that would be the normal placing for heating up such a large kettle, and as you say it would be kept constantly topped up and on the heat of the range fire to keep a constant supply of hot or boiling water.

Talking of Big Bangs reminded me of when I found a hand grenade half buried some where down Cat Lane. I was only about 6 years old (it was the 1950's) I took it to my grandads and he made me put it carefully at the bottom of the garden then he called the police who then called the Army. The police took me to where I had found it in case there was anything else dangerous. I never thought about danger at the time it was just exciting !!! I never did find out if it was live or not, but I am glad I didn't find out the hard way !

Not so much 'what is is it', more of what was it used for ?

It has a PAT. Number and a name on it, also "Nickelled" & "Made in England".

Nostril-reamer ...

It's quite a modern device Richard (post 1971 D-Day) as Steve seems to be using it forge 5p and £1 coins.