Hangingwater Shops

jimmydunneclone

Looking at the Co-Op thread there is a picture of the one on the corner of Oakbrook Rd & Hangingwater Rd(on Picture Sheffield site) in the mid to late 60's.I lived near there from 68 to 81 but can't remember all the shops-though I know most of them.Can anyone help?Thanks.

Yes,that's the picture-but I can't remember what the corner shop on the right was;and a couple of others on that side.

Hi JDC,

I hve a 1965 directory,

will take a look tomorrow, it may or may not help.

Here we go JDC,

these should ring a few bells.

Oakbrook Road shops, from 1965 Kelly's directory.

And just round the corner (@ 87) going down Hangingwater Road,

stood Arthur Davy & Sons Ltd,

looking at the faded sign it appears to have been a Beer off at one time.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.368293,-1.523934&amp;panoid=aHmF44eASoz8Qm0GtbBsOw&amp;cbp=13,262.68,,0,0.03&amp;ll=53.368303,-1.524101&amp;spn=0.001005,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.368293,-1.523934&amp;panoid=aHmF44eASoz8Qm0GtbBsOw&amp;cbp=13,262.68,,0,0.03&amp;ll=53.368303,-1.524101&amp;spn=0.001005,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Here we go JDC,

these should ring a few bells.

Oakbrook Road shops, from 1965 Kelly's directory.

No major changes by 1970

HI

I lived in the area from the arly 60s until mid 70s, during that time, Hangingwater stores was owned by and called Swansons, firstly Mrs Swanson, then her son Peter, Peter actuall commited suicide in the garage poisening himself with CO2 from his car exhaust.

Round the corner on Oakbrook road was a shop named after a Bob Dylan album ' Freewheelin' that sold hippy type goods, there were also two hardware shops, one on each side of the road.

Can anyone remember the shops further down at the junction of Oakbrook and Westwood Rds, I can remember the Chemist, but not the name, Woodhouses general store (later became Stirrings restaurant), Watchorn's newsagent and fruit shop on the corner.

HI

I lived in the area from the arly 60s until mid 70s, during that time, Hangingwater stores was owned by and called Swansons, firstly Mrs Swanson, then her son Peter, Peter actuall commited suicide in the garage poisening himself with CO2 from his car exhaust.

Round the corner on Oakbrook road was a shop named after a Bob Dylan album ' Freewheelin' that sold hippy type goods, there were also two hardware shops, one on each side of the road.

Can anyone remember the shops further down at the junction of Oakbrook and Westwood Rds, I can remember the Chemist, but not the name, Woodhouses general store (later became Stirrings restaurant), Watchorn's newsagent and fruit shop on the corner.

I remember Freewheelin'-it had the first water bed I'd ever seen-or laid on.I remember Peter Swanson's suicide too.I only remember Watchorns of the other shops.I'm still no further with the corner shop though...

I remember Freewheelin'-it had the first water bed I'd ever seen-or laid on.I remember Peter Swanson's suicide too.I only remember Watchorns of the other shops.I'm still no further with the corner shop though...

Picturesheffield Link

Nethergreen, junction of Oakbrook Road, Nethergreen Road and Hangingwater Road

Which corner, the corner above Freewheelin now the chemist, I think was a fishmongers late 60s, early 70s, I remember the open front with fresh fish displayed on sloping marble slabs. then later changed to a fruit shop, I remember being sent for a cabbage by my mum, got there and couldn't remember cabbage or Cauli, of course I got the wrong one and had to go back and swap it.

Which corner, the corner above Freewheelin now the chemist, I think was a fishmongers late 60s, early 70s, I remember the open front with fresh fish displayed on sloping marble slabs. then later changed to a fruit shop, I remember being sent for a cabbage by my mum, got there and couldn't remember cabbage or Cauli, of course I got the wrong one and had to go back and swap it.

Yes,it's come back to me now,it was a fruit shop.Thanks 4 that.

Does anyone remember Kitty Willis running the store at 102 Hangingwater Road?  She died in 1964 I think so either just after M Peachey for a year but most probably before her. Maybe your Mum bought it from her Neil?  She was originally from Newcastle I think and got stationed here in the war.  Any info would be great.