Yorkshire Salad

Guest SuzyC

Back in the fifties, my mum used to make what we called Yorkshire Salad. Basically it was lettuce chopped up very fine, bit of cucumber, little bit of spring onion, some mint and all drenched in vinegar. Served in the gravy boat!! :P Does anyone else remember this????

Back in the fifties, my mum used to make what we called Yorkshire Salad. Basically it was lettuce chopped up very fine, bit of cucumber, little bit of spring onion, some mint and all drenched in vinegar. Served in the gravy boat!! :P Does anyone else remember this????

ps gravy boat, how old am i+????

Not that exactly, but cucumber and onion swimming in vinager (not pickled, just freshly prepared) was a feature of tea time at "Little Grandma's" house in the 50's.

Probably not the case in fact, but my memory is of always the same menu.

Tinned crab or salmon

Salad

The afore-mentioned cucumber side dish

Bread and butter (in triangles)

Tinned Peaches with Coronation Cream

=================

Gravy boat ? What else should it be called ??

I remember the sliced onions and cucumber I loved it , I wonder why we never seem to bother to do it anymore.

I don't know about the chopped up lettuce but we did and I still do , chop up mint and make my own mint

sauce.

Guest skeets

HI SuzyC l Still make this salad as my mother made it with more of the mint and onion, but we always called it mint sauce and served with lamb only. Also for the pickled onion and cucumber is always on the menu with me, Cheers Arthur

Guest skeets

ps gravy boat, how old am i+????

Suzy As for your age 50ish! but if you would like to match with me l am only 86

Suzy As for your age 50ish! but if you would like to match with me l am only 86

lol Thanks to all for your comments. Vox, your Sunday tea sounds very familiar and as you say the Yorkshire Salad was fresh, not pickled. I still make mint sauce the proper way too, can´t abide the sickly stuff in jars. Think I shall have a go at making the YS, I expect we used malt vinegar in those days, it might be fun to experiment with all the different ones available now. (it will give my gravy boat an airing anyway he he )

Suzy - flicking through a receipe book - Farmhouse Kitchen (remember that on Yorkshire TV in 1970s) they have a receipe

for this:

YORKSHIRE SALAD

Lettuce

Onions or Spring Onions

Mint

Sugar

Vinegar

1. Wash & finely shred some lettuce - the good outer leaves can be used.

2. Finely slice 1 to 2 onions or use spring onions.

3. Finely chop a little mint.

4. Add sugar to taste to a cup of viegar and stir to dissolve. Pour over salad.

Serve with hot roast meats.

I've never had that but my mum still makes cucumber & onion in vinegar!

Suzy - flicking through a receipe book - Farmhouse Kitchen (remember that on Yorkshire TV in 1970s) they have a receipe

for this:

YORKSHIRE SALAD

Lettuce

Onions or Spring Onions

Mint

Sugar

Vinegar

1. Wash & finely shred some lettuce - the good outer leaves can be used.

2. Finely slice 1 to 2 onions or use spring onions.

3. Finely chop a little mint.

4. Add sugar to taste to a cup of viegar and stir to dissolve. Pour over salad.

Serve with hot roast meats.

I've never had that but my mum still makes cucumber & onion in vinegar!

Hi DunsbyOwl

Thanks for that, it sounds just like I remember, except perhaps not the sugar. Yes I remember the programme, lots of down to earth recipes, didn't a lady called Dorothy Sleightholme used to present it? I suppose vinegar and sugar are the Yorkshire equivalent of French dressing lol

Not that exactly, but cucumber and onion swimming in vinager (not pickled, just freshly prepared) was a feature of tea time at "Little Grandma's" house in the 50's.

Invariably an accompaniment to our after school tea on Mondays. Cold roast from Sunday, bubble and squeak. Best with cold roast lamb...or was it mutton in those days ?

Monday of course was 'washing day'. :)

Invariably an accompaniment to our after school tea on Mondays. Cold roast from Sunday, bubble and squeak. Best with cold roast lamb...or was it mutton in those days ?

Monday of course was 'washing day'. :)

Were you like us and had a huge wooden drying rack above the Yorkshire range in the kitchen, it was on some sort of pulley contraption, useful for wet days after going through the mangle and also "airing" the clothes. :)

Were you like us and had a huge wooden drying rack above the Yorkshire range in the kitchen, it was on some sort of pulley contraption, useful for wet days after going through the mangle and also "airing" the clothes. :)

Was it like this Suzy? See ahead of its time zero carbon emissions!

We have 2!

http://www.ecoproductsuk.co.uk/listman/listings/l0085.shtml

And here's mine.

Yes Dunsby & Vox, the very same. I didn´t know you could still buy them, how fantastic and reasonably priced too. :)

Yes Dunsby & Vox, the very same. I didn´t know you could still buy them, how fantastic and reasonably priced too. :)

Mine's actually an old one. I got it from a junk shop 30 years ago.

I just put a new rope on it last year.