Anyone old enough to remember The Sheffields?

Sandroulla

Theremin for making alsorts of wierd and wonderful sounds.

That was the one where you waved your hands at it and it changed the frequency of the notes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYho56INKU

jiginc

Absolutely correct jiginc, - the only instrument that can be played without actually physically touching it.

Guest Samson

I remember seeing The Sheffields in the sixties playing at Rowlinson School. They were the only group I remember playing there so perhaps one of them was an ex-pupil. If so he would have been there at the same time as Chris Stainton though not necessarily in the same school year. They were unusual in performing Peanut Vendor. I think the Sheffield Telegraph / Star produced a pull out or special edition at the time of the contest that has been mentioned and The Sheffields were on the middle page.

I remember seeing The Sheffields in the sixties playing at Rowlinson School. They were the only group I remember playing there so perhaps one of them was an ex-pupil. If so he would have been there at the same time as Chris Stainton though not necessarily in the same school year. They were unusual in performing Peanut Vendor. I think the Sheffield Telegraph / Star produced a pull out or special edition at the time of the contest that has been mentioned and The Sheffields were on the middle page.

I just knew there would be a picture of them somewhere!

English Freak Beat - Vol 1

Side 1:

1. The Groundhogs: "Shake It" — rel. 1964

2. Johnny Neal and the Starliners: "Walk Baby Walk" — rel. 1965

3. The In-be-tweens: "Girl, I Am Your Evil Witchman"

4. The Betterdays: "Don't Want That" — rel. 1965, vinyl-only track

5. The Rebounds: "Help Me"

6. The Primitives: "Help Me" — rel. 1964

7. The Primitives: "Let Them Tell"

8. The Beat Merchants: "Pretty Face" (McKinley Morganfield)

Side 2:

1. Steve Davies: "She Said Yeah" — rel. 1968

2. The Loot: "Baby Come Closer" — rel. 1967

3. Miki Dallon: "I'll Give You Love" — rel. 1965

4. The Chasers: "Inspiration" — rel. 1966

5. The Sheffields: "Plenty of Love" — rel. 1964

6. The Courier: "Done Me Wrong"

7. The Rats: "Headin' Back"

8. The Wild Ones: "Purple Pill Eater" — rel. 1964

Wiki

One of the Screaming Lord Sutch's copycat groups that started up in the mid-sixties and evolved out of a R&B group originally called The Vampires then rechristened The Sheffields after their hometown. They backed Little Walter and Memphis Slim on their 1964 British tour and cut 3 singles for Pye records that are now very rare and sought-after.

During 1965, they teamed up with vocalist Ray Stuart aka "Frankenstein" and appeared on stage with horror make up. They used to play only 1 or 2 numbers the entire show - usually 'Great Balls of Fire' & 'Good

Golly Miss Molly'.

In late 1965, The Sheffields went their own way before splitting and Ray Stuart recruited Dave Robinson, Phil Galley on guitars, and drummer Spud West to form a 'new' Monsters. The band became very popular in Sheffield during 1966.Spud West played the part of The Mummy in the horror show and introduced the new trick of setting himself on fire as he left the coffin, until it got out of hand at Worsley Civic Hall when the fire hose had to be employed.The band frequently played at The Oasis, Jung Frau, Top 20 Club at Droylsden as well as Bolton Palais. They also appeared at The California Ballroom, Dunstable in April 1966, supported by The Flashbacks and The Avengers ----------------------------------

Discography

Singles of The Sheffields

· It Must Be Love/Say Girl (Pye 7N 15600) - January 1964

· I Got My Mojo Working/Hey, Hey Lover Boy (Pye 7N 15627) - April 1964

· Bag's Groove (Skat Walking)/Plenty Of Love (Pye 7N 15767) - February 1965

Complete article Obscure bands of the 50's

The Cavern Gigs

The following list is taken from "The Best Of Cellars" by Phil Thompson, published by the Bluecoat Press, 1994, ISBN 1872568165 A great reference book for anyone interested in the history of the Cavern Club.

1964 Thursday, October 15th – Evening

The Abstracts

The Hideaways

The Sheffields

The St Louis Checks

The Tabs

1964 Thursday, October 29th – Evening

TL’s Bluesicians

The Hideways

Little Walter (US Blues Star)

The Sheffields

The Abstracts

The Sheffields: their story began at a Sheffield pop contest put on at the City Hall on 16th September 1963 by Peter Stringfellow. But they were called The Vampires. "The judges - record company representatives - chose the Vampires as the winners, partly thanks to a virtuoso performance on harmonica by singer, songwriter and organ player John E Alexander." "The line-up also featured Don Allison and Brian Cooke on guitars, Dave Fawcett, bass, and Richard Smith on drums. One of the judges, well known now, Tony Hatch, took them under his wing, renaming them The Sheffields. They went on to make three singles for Pye with Hatch as producer."

Music

Last FM

Side 1:

1. The Groundhogs: "Shake It" — rel. 1964

2. Johnny Neal and the Starliners: "Walk Baby Walk" — rel. 1965

3. The In-be-tweens: "Girl, I Am Your Evil Witchman"

4. The Betterdays: "Don't Want That" — rel. 1965, vinyl-only track

5. The Rebounds: "Help Me"

6. The Primitives: "Help Me" — rel. 1964

7. The Primitives: "Let Them Tell"

8. The Beat Merchants: "Pretty Face" (McKinley Morganfield)

Side 2:

1. Steve Davies: "She Said Yeah" — rel. 1968

2. The Loot: "Baby Come Closer" — rel. 1967

3. Miki Dallon: "I'll Give You Love" — rel. 1965

4. The Chasers: "Inspiration" — rel. 1966

5. The Sheffields: "Plenty of Love" — rel. 1964

6. The Courier: "Done Me Wrong"

7. The Rats: "Headin' Back"

8. The Wild Ones: "Purple Pill Eater" — rel. 1964

Wiki

One of these bands went on to achieve enormous chart successes; so, which one is it ?

This has just got to be an American record with a title like that.

For a start "English" used in a derisory manner as thought there was something wrong with it.

We called it "British Beat" or "Merseybeat" in 1964, but after The Beatles America called all pop to come from us "British Invasion" as though we had invaded them. They just didn't like our groups getting high placings in their billboard charts when it came down to it.

Then there is the more derisory use of the word "freak" as though it was an unusual one off out of the ordinary disturbance to them.

Obviously produced by an American company that can't stand and doesn't like British music, BUT, with true American greed sees marketing it as a good way to make "a fast buck" :angry:

They were unusual in performing Peanut Vendor.

This is quite unusual in that Peanut Vendor is really a Jazz piece and was at its most popular in the Be-Bop era, a style of Jazz which takes some listening to and has an aquired taste.

I have heard it played (on trumpet) by Dizzie Gillespie, but the recorded version in my collection is by the Stan Kenton Orchestra from 1947.

I am suprised that a 1960's group would be interested in a piece which, to them, being born in the 1940's would be "the sort of stuff dad listened to"

The Cavern Gigs

The following list is taken from "The Best Of Cellars" by Phil Thompson, published by the Bluecoat Press, 1994, ISBN 1872568165 A great reference book for anyone interested in the history of the Cavern Club.

1964 Thursday, October 15th – Evening

The Abstracts

The Hideaways

The Sheffields

The St Louis Checks

The Tabs

1964 Thursday, October 29th – Evening

TL’s Bluesicians

The Hideways

Little Walter (US Blues Star)

The Sheffields

The Abstracts

I don't know vox,

Some people need telling who Little Walter was :blink:

I am quite familiar with the work of Marilyn Walter Jacobs a.k.a "Little Walter" as a harp bluesman and I am sure you are too as you use an image of Rice Miller a.k.a "Sonny Boy Williamson II" as your avitar.

However, I am struggling on who some of these other acts on this record are! :unsure:

I don't know vox,

Some people need telling who Little Walter was :blink:

I am quite familiar with the work of Marilyn Walter Jacobs a.k.a "Little Walter" as a harp bluesman and I am sure you are too as you use an image of Rice Miller a.k.a "Sonny Boy Williamson II" as your avitar.

However, I am struggling on who some of these other acts on this record are! :unsure:

It's not a record it's a gig list.

Guest Encyclopedia

I found this in "Not Like a Proper Job" by John Firminger & Martin Lilleker, Published:2001, ISBN: 1-872204-80-5:

This is about a Sheffield pop contest put on at the City Hall on 16th September 1963 by Peter Stringfellow.

"The judges - record company representatives - chose the Vampires as the winners, partly thanks to a virtuoso performance on harmonica by singer, songwriter and organ player John E Alexander."

"The line-up also featured Don Allison and Brian Cooke on guitars, Dave Fawcett, bass, and Richard Smith on drums. One of the judges Tony Hatch, later to be better known as a songwriter, took them under his wing, renaming themthe Sheffields. They went on to make three singles for Pye with Hatch as producer."

There's quite a bit more in there.

I think this picture below was there final line up.

Hello, I'm writing an encylclopedia of 60's UK groups and while doing research on The Sheffields I came across this site and your information. I'm writing to seek permission to use a copy of the picture of the group for inclusion with the write up of the band in the book.

Any information or images used will be acknowledged and credited accordingly. I can be reached at tinker03@telus.net Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. Bruce Victoria, B.C. Canada.

Hello, I'm writing an encylclopedia of 60's UK groups and while doing research on The Sheffields I came across this site and your information. I'm writing to seek permission to use a copy of the picture of the group for inclusion with the write up of the band in the book.

Any information or images used will be acknowledged and credited accordingly. I can be reached at tinker03@telus.net Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. Bruce Victoria, B.C. Canada.

Hello Encyclopedia, to Sheffield History and thank you for posting.

The only picture of the group on this site is the one I have posted in post #31 of this topic, and, as stated by our member samson in a previous post, quoted in my post #31 the picture is from a copy of the Sheffield Telegraph / Star newspaper. I was luck enough to source a copy of this paper and scan the image before returning it to its owner, so the image you see is a scan of an old newspaper.

As such I cannot give you permission to use this image as it is not my picture and the rights on it are with the Sheffield Star newspaper group. To obtain permission I would suggest you contact The Star.

Their website "about us" page has the following contact details (Note that you will need to visit this webpage for the EMAIL links to work, the webpage is here

WRITE to us at The Star, York Street, Sheffield, S1 1PU.

CALL us on 0114 2767676; Barnsley 01226 242727 or 245850; Rotherham 01709 363488 or Doncaster 01302 348501. Fax 0114 2521264

EMAIL us by clicking below.

NewsdeskSportsdesk

Photographic (JPEG's)

Letters to the Editor

Advertising

TEXT us. Text YOURSAY and leave a space, followed by your message, then your full name, house number and postcode and send to 81800. Texts cost 60p plus your standard network charge. This will be charged to your mobile phone bill. Get the bill payer’s permission. By supplying your telephone number you’re happy to receive SMS/MMS messages from Johnston Press plc, publishers of The Star. Johnston Press (or via its agents) and its business partners may contact you about new promotions, products & services. Please add the word STOP at the end of your message if you do not wish to receive these.

WHATEVER YOU DO, KEEP IN TOUCH!

Hello Encyclopedia, to Sheffield History and thank you for posting.

The only picture of the group on this site is the one I have posted in post #31 of this topic, and, as stated by our member samson in a previous post, quoted in my post #31 the picture is from a copy of the Sheffield Telegraph / Star newspaper. I was luck enough to source a copy of this paper and scan the image before returning it to its owner, so the image you see is a scan of an old newspaper.

As such I cannot give you permission to use this image as it is not my picture and the rights on it are with the Sheffield Star newspaper group. To obtain permission I would suggest you contact The Star.

Their website "about us" page has the following contact details (Note that you will need to visit this webpage for the EMAIL links to work, the webpage is here

WRITE to us at The Star, York Street, Sheffield, S1 1PU.

CALL us on 0114 2767676; Barnsley 01226 242727 or 245850; Rotherham 01709 363488 or Doncaster 01302 348501. Fax 0114 2521264

EMAIL us by clicking below.

NewsdeskSportsdesk

Photographic (JPEG's)

Letters to the Editor

Advertising

TEXT us. Text YOURSAY and leave a space, followed by your message, then your full name, house number and postcode and send to 81800. Texts cost 60p plus your standard network charge. This will be charged to your mobile phone bill. Get the bill payer’s permission. By supplying your telephone number you’re happy to receive SMS/MMS messages from Johnston Press plc, publishers of The Star. Johnston Press (or via its agents) and its business partners may contact you about new promotions, products & services. Please add the word STOP at the end of your message if you do not wish to receive these.

WHATEVER YOU DO, KEEP IN TOUCH!

Dave,

are the images posted by SH member Dave Milner (post #02) not of the 'The Sheffields' ?

Dave,

are the images posted by SH member Dave Milner (post #02) not of the 'The Sheffields' ?

Yes they are,

Sorry Steve, and Encyclopedia, I missed those as I had not posted them myself and i had not looked that far back into the topic.

I should point out to Encyclopedia that even those images in post #2, posted by Dave Milner, are not his originals and he acknowledges the book they are from, the author and the publisher, even the ISBN book number. Obviously material acknowledged in this way is subject to copyright and it would be necessary to contact the publishers before reusing the images in any work of your own.

On 4/9/2007 at 17:45, Sandroulla said:

That's fantastic! Thanks a million. I will now try to jog his memory into action!

yes i remember the Sheffields, my wife has the single IT MUST BE LOVE GREAT TRACK WITH GREAT HARMONICA. i believe they were called KNIVES and FORKS at one time