Anyone old enough to remember The Sheffields?

Sandroulla

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2011 at 20:52, DaveH said:

This has just got to be an American record with a title like that.

For a start "English" used in a derisory manner as thought there was something wrong with it.

We called it "British Beat" or "Merseybeat" in 1964,

...especially as The Betterdays were Scottish! EDIT: whoops, no they weren't they were from the West Country apparently, unless there were two lots of Betterdayses.

Peanut Vendor was a Stan Kenton original, but in the '60s it became a popular tune amongst ska (or blue beat as it was often called here) bands, so perhaps they heard a version on a ska 45 (it was VERY hip to like ska if you were into popular music around 1964) and decided to play their own version.

And finally...Little Walter Jacobs' name was Marion, not Marilyn - a Christian name he shared with Big John Wayne. You gonna argue? The hell you will...

Nice work, Mr, Dude - but please note that the Sheffields on the U.S. ssExx label were a funky soul band from Des Moines, Iowa, and nothing at all to do with our lads! Maybe they took their name from Sheffield, Alabama, I don't know.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 17:45, Athy said:

Nice work, Mr, Dude - but please note that the Sheffields on the U.S. ssExx label were a funky soul band from Des Moines, Iowa, and nothing at all to do with our lads! Maybe they took their name from Sheffield, Alabama, I don't know.

Didn't know that! I will post an entry saying that on the 45 Cat site.

It seems that record slipped through the net on 45 cat! The USA Sheffields had several records themselves, but on the site they are defined by the inclusion of "USA" to the name. But this one wasn't. I have added a note to that record. And a moderator there should reassign in to the Sheffields USA tag!

On 09/04/2007 at 16:20, Sandroulla said:

They disappeared without trace many years ago, but The Sheffields emerged in the 60's and were managed by Pete Stringfellow for a while. They played several gigs at the Mojo and had minor recording success. The main track I remember them doing was "Got my mojo workin'".

I was but a mere slip of a lass at that time, but my brother was their roadie for a while and ferried the guys and their gear to several gigs around the country. He is now 65 and lives in Canada (where I am currently visiting). He has the memory capacity of a goldfish and cannot remember the names of any of the band members, so if anyone can assist?......

My Brother Donald ALLISON played guitar with the Sheffield’s and later went on to play bass with the Stuart Leon group playing at many dinner dances etc in Sheffield.

CSadly Don Passed Way. Few tears ago . He followed me into the music scene, I played bass with many bands in Sheffield prior to and after my national service 1957 -1959. The bands included FranK Payne, at Glossop Road Baths, Winston Lee at the Grand Hotel.

In the early 60,s withthe Arthur Frost Trio. At the White Rose and later at  the Omega Restaurant. I left Sheffield in 1967 and continued playing for many years in Manchester area and latterly in Harrogate. John ALLISON.