Looks And Smiles

Guest Gary Green

Looked at the list of films made in Sheffield and noticed looks and smiles was not on the list, directed by ken loach

Looked at the list of films made in Sheffield and noticed looks and smiles was not on the list, directed by ken loach
Welcome to the forum Gary, personally I had never heard of that one ..

Welcome to Sheffield History Gary Green and thanks for bringing this film to our attention.

Like SteveHB it is a film which had passed me by and I was unaware of.

Some good scenes of Sheffield in the 1980's

Remember this one well.

A dark depressing film but kind of sums up the hopeless feeling a lot of us had in the early eighties very well. If i'm not mistaken the line "It is not a good time to be young and hopeful" is from the book. That was written on the bus stop at campo lane for decades...always made me smile when I saw that...

Just watching this on YouTube. I thought knew Ken Loach's stuff, but this is new to me too. Great shots of the city - you'll find lots to like.

I notice Tony Pitts in the cast. Was he from Sheffield? I always remember him from Emmerdale Farm when he played the part of Archie and he often wore a Wednesday tracksuit top.