Barber's Shops & Signs.

vox

What was the big hole ? (Demolished)

Don't know what stood there at the time, but in the 1965 Kelly's there was, Darlow Lionel Ltd.

sports outfitters at 159 - 161 West Street.

Taylor Taylor, Division Street,

with past connections to The Grand Hotel

Taylor Taylor

A bit like the Sinatra number, New York - New York

It's so good they named it twice.

Why Taylor Taylor, and not Taylor AND Taylor?

Having said that they are well known Sheffield hairdressers with an excellent reputation.

..and how do you demolish a hole? :huh:

Do they simply mean that the big hole was filled in <_<

There are plenty of big holes in our road from last winter but the council are not so good at filling them in :rolleyes:

..but the big holes are quite effective at demolishing my cars suspension! :angry:

Hagenbachs, Darlows , a bookies and a jewellery shop that did some home made trinketts.

There used to be a lovely young lady who owned that shop, I've still got some of the jewellery.

Then there used to be Jim Evans Newagents. All the shops were side by side in the late eighties but in

which order I can't remember. You should have seen the upstairs of the shops and the back yards.

Very old and interesting. Happy memories.

I can't understand why they just knock a middle section out, why didn't they modernise it like the rest

of the block.

Ernest Harold Kind ??

My uncle was Jack (John)

I don't know for sure what his father's name was but I had the impression it was also John

Easy to find out.

Talking of Barbers reminded me of when my Grandad went to the barbers on Heeley Bottom, Queens Road, in the 50's.

I can't remember the name but it was about where Halfords is now. I sometimes went with him and to get a haircut, being about 6 years old at the time I sat on a plank placed on the arms of the barbers chair.

Without fail whenever the barber finished cutting an adults hair he would ask "something for the weekend sir?" Now at the time I did not know what was being said but he sold a lot of the "somethings" 

56 minutes ago, peterinfrance said:

Talking of Barbers reminded me of when my Grandad went to the barbers on Heeley Bottom, Queens Road, in the 50's.

I can't remember the name but it was about where Halfords is now. I sometimes went with him and to get a haircut, being about 6 years old at the time I sat on a plank placed on the arms of the barbers chair.

Without fail whenever the barber finished cutting an adults hair he would ask "something for the weekend sir?" Now at the time I did not know what was being said but he sold a lot of the "somethings" 

Is this the one on the left?

queens_road_19th_august_1960.png.jpg