Barber's Shops & Signs.

vox

Well thats it then, its doomed ! A few years ago there was a cheap booze outlet directly opposite Woodseats police station, it got ram raided shortly after it had opened. W/E.

One of my cousins was once violently assaulted right outside West Bar police station :o

Guess how long it took the police to get there lol

This one looks shiny new too. They must have made a come back.

I think I know where there's a genuine old one, camera ready for a fine day [ that's if it's still there. ]

The original ones were just a pole.

They were not electrified, illuminated or "twirley" like the new ones.

The original ones were just a pole.

They were not electrified, illuminated or "twirley" like the new ones.

I don't know about that Dave , I sure I remember some of the old one's twirling.

I don't know about that Dave , I sure I remember some of the old one's twirling.

I don't remember the old ones "twirling" (physically rotating along their axis), although the spiraling red and white design does give that impression.

I don't remember the old ones "twirling" (physically rotating along their axis), although the spiraling red and white design does give that impression.

There were some electric ones, which rotated a red spiral inside a white one, which gave an interesting effect.

There were some electric ones, which rotated a red spiral inside a white one, which gave an interesting effect.

I can't remember any traditional poles which rotated,

Perhaps I just went to the cheap barbers that charged a shilling and sixpence for a short back and sides,

Then again, like most kids who grew up in the 1960's and 70's I wanted my hair long so barbers shops weren't places a went to very often.

I can't remember any traditional poles which rotated,

They were like this Dave

(although it isn't one colour inside another as I had thought)

They were like this Dave

(although it isn't one colour inside another as I had thought)

That looks more modern to me vox like the others.

The traditional ones weren't mounted vertically like that against the wall, they were mounted standing off the wall at an upward angle and were basically just a painted wooden pole.

I've just realized what I've said. :o

Yes the old one's are called Twirlies are they not? he he

A pal of mine who hails from Palestine used to drive Sheffield buses to fund his studies at university.

He always referred to old aged pensioners as "Twerlies".

This was because when he pulled up at a bus-stop at around 9.30 am the first words the waiting pensioners uttered was "Am I Twerlie".

The concessionary fare scheme didn't start until 9.30 of course.

HD

That looks more modern to me vox like the others.

The traditional ones weren't mounted vertically like that against the wall, they were mounted standing off the wall at an upward angle and were basically just a painted wooden pole.

More modern - yes.

I think the first ones like this were probably 60's

A pal of mine who hails from Palestine used to drive Sheffield buses to fund his studies at university.

He always referred to old aged pensioners as "Twerlies".

This was because when he pulled up at a bus-stop at around 9.30 am the first words the waiting pensioners uttered was "Am I Twerlie".

The concessionary fare scheme didn't start until 9.30 of course.

HD

"Am I" is usually spoken by Sheffield pensioners as "Am A" and "Am A Twerlie" translates back into "proper English" not as "Am I too early" as intended but as "I am a twerlie" which seems to indicate that bus pass bearing Sheffield pensioners gave themselves this unusual nickname.

It's a bit like when JFK made his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in 1961 after the Berlin Wall went up. He thought that he had said, being in empathy with the Germans "I am a Berliner" but the Germans themselves translated it as something like "I am a sausage"

More modern - yes.

I think the first ones like this were probably 60's

Yes I'll go along with that.

I think the barbers shop on the opposite side of the road to my grandmothers sweet shop on Division Street / Devonshire Street had a pole like that in the early 1960's

I think the barbers shop on the opposite side of the road to my grandmothers sweet shop on Division Street / Devonshire Street had a pole like that in the early 1960's

And I think my uncle's shop - Kind's on West Street - may have had one as well.

I'll ask.

This is a really old fashioned one

It has a pole although it looks very faded now.

G R Dewsbury

Neil Road.

Google Streetview

A closer view of the pole outside G R Dewsbury's. It certainly is rather faded.

A closer view of the pole outside G R Dewsbury's. It certainly is rather faded.

That's my barber, and I'm ashamed to admit I never noticed the pole before!:blink:

Was that John Fantham's shop - where the barber who worked there was a Pole?

Was that John Fantham's shop - where the barber who worked there was a Pole?

Could have been.

Who was John Fantham? :unsure: Did he play football for Sheffield Wednesday in the 1960's? <_<

I don't know about the barber being Polish (the Pole with a pole?)

But one of them was not English and spoke with a foreign accent. As a child I had assumed that like some of my grandmothers second husbands family that he was an Italian hairdresser.

Savills on Chapel Walk,

a fully working and illuminated twirly whirly.

You wouldn't believe these pictures were the town centre would you?

They look so clean and quiet.

And I think my uncle's shop - Kind's on West Street - may have had one as well.

I'll ask.

Took a long time to get round to. :o

This is Hengers on West Street

Before that, Kind & Henger,

Before that just Kind's (my uncle's shop) and before that it belonged to his father.

I used to get my hair cut there in the 1950's (if he hadn't already done it for me at his house)

The old twirley pole is still there high up on the wall.

Google Streetview